Dog Beach - Vic

JulesP

Sorry I know this has been done to death! But what are some nice beaches that allow dogs near Melbourne. Prefer beaches that allow dogs rather than dog beaches like Brighton. Poppy doesn't play super well with a heap of other dogs!

Are any of the back beaches dog friendly or the Mornington Peninsula ones?

I think the back beaches are pretty much onlead, and during daylight savings, before 9am and after 7pm.

There is a very small beach at Mornington that is offlead all year round. It is south of the pier/harbour.

On the Mornington Peninsula most of the back beaches are also National Park. Some of the back beaches allow dogs on lead early morning and late evening, but I don't think during summer. Rangers do patrol back beaches regularly and are happy to dish out fines.

On the front beaches many leash free areas exist: Mornington, McRae, Rosebud, Blairgowrie and I think Sorrento too, not sure about Portsea. There's a beachside walking track that runs most of the bay side of the Peninsula which you can walk with your dog onlead.

Whats a front beach and a back beach??

I know Brighton can get full and hectic.

At lowish tide, St Kilda Dog Beach can be fun for dogs and lots of room to not get crowded by dogs.I walk along the sandy bits that stretch out for ages...you can wade, walk, swim, throw a ball...and people tend to be well spread out. Its better than just having that narrow it of beach available.

I must check out Ricketts Point in Beaumaris - is it 24 hour dog beach or before 7am and after 9pm sort of thing?

Edited by Sky

Hi Sky

If you are on a peninsula then the front beach is the ocean side and the back beach is the bay or river side.

Other times, like the Williamstown penisnula, the front beach is the bay beach and the back beach is the river beach.

Manly in NSW is another good example. Both beaches are in the harbour so the main beach is the front beach.

Back beaches tend to be much grungier.

Px

Hi Sky

If you are on a peninsula then the front beach is the ocean side and the back beach is the bay or river side.

Other times, like the Williamstown penisnula, the front beach is the bay beach and the back beach is the river beach.

Manly in NSW is another good example. Both beaches are in the harbour so the main beach is the front beach.

Back beaches tend to be much grungier.

Px

Opposite way around in the Mornington peninsula! Back beaches are ocean side, front beaches are on the bay! Williamstown peninsula only has one beach really, there's no beach on the river side.

Where I walk my dog in Williamstown is offleash all year round, and at low tide we get a lovely beach and swimming hole for the dogs. Its right next to the Williamstown football ground. Or if you want to venture a little further west, Altona dog beach can be lovely- best again at low tide as the sand then stretches for about 100 metres into what is water at low tide. Dogs just love it.

Opposite way around in the Mornington peninsula! Back beaches are ocean side, front beaches are on the bay! Williamstown peninsula only has one beach really, there's no beach on the river side.

Where I walk my dog in Williamstown is offleash all year round, and at low tide we get a lovely beach and swimming hole for the dogs. Its right next to the Williamstown football ground. Or if you want to venture a little further west, Altona dog beach can be lovely- best again at low tide as the sand then stretches for about 100 metres into what is water at low tide. Dogs just love it.

Hi Nik

And Merry Christmas :)

Of course, you'd expect that from the pretentious snobs on the Mornington Peninsula.

So if you get it wrong then they know you're not 'us'.

Portsea hole is well named and is not the hyped up dive experience advertised.

Since Williamstown is our old stamping ground any of the beaches that are not exclusively between the Life Saving Club and The Fearon are off the front beach.

We don't talk like the Mornington hoity toity but around behind the football ground is sometimnes referred to as the back beach.

More usually it is Shelly Beach because of all the shell grit that covers the sand.

Most other places around the world don't follow Mornington's distortion.

Altona you say@! Where is Altona? Do people actually live there? :laugh:

Px

Wow, judgemental much? Way to go Tralee :rolleyes:

As Nik said, back beach is the Western Port side and front beach is the Port Phillip side :) Oh and I should have said you can usually find a nice stretch of beach to yourself, especially if you time your walk.

Edited to add..i was at Blairgowrie dog beach this morning from 6:45 and only came across two other dogs in our whole walk. If you are prepared to go even earlier I think you'd have it to yourself.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

We tried our Ricketts Point - quite good once you find where the actual bit of beach is! Our dogs had a great time - first time at the beach for one, which is always a hoot.

And not too many dogs considering it was a nice day - one every 50 m or so. Probably better to go before midday, you might even have the place to yourself. Not a lot of good beach (but there were people there in it, so what do I know!) - but a really nice bit at the city end that even I would swim in. I didn't realize you could go the other way past the yacht club as well. It is broken up to many bits with onlead, totally restricted and offlead bits, if you look at the council webpage. I thought offlead only started from the yacht club, so we didn't go back the other way except on the onlead footpath.

No the off lead starts from past the yacht club- there is a path that cuts in half the 2 beaches (on lead- restricted times/ off lead)and the nicest bit is to the left of the yacht club- definitely a nice swimming spot. :)

Edited by Cosmolo

• 5 weeks later...