Help! - Ear Glue

seregil

I am trying to remove the glue my Sheltie pup's breeder put on her ears as she has a show next week, also it has come off the head anyway and will need to be re applied.

He told me to use bandage adhesive remover but it is doing *nothing*! I have been working on it for two days now, pup is surprisingly tolerant.

Should I be dabbing it, wiping it, rubbing it? I have left it to soak for a couple of hours then tried again but it is still there. It is not a big blob or anything but it is enough for the judge to see in the ring. Is there something else I can use that is more effective? I don't want to risk irritating the skin though.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

( I will put this post in the "grooming" forum as well )

Seregil

I am trying to remove the glue my Sheltie pup's breeder put on her ears as she has a show next week, also it has come off the head anyway and will need to be re applied.

He told me to use bandage adhesive remover but it is doing *nothing*! I have been working on it for two days now, pup is surprisingly tolerant.

Should I be dabbing it, wiping it, rubbing it? I have left it to soak for a couple of hours then tried again but it is still there. It is not a big blob or anything but it is enough for the judge to see in the ring. Is there something else I can use that is more effective? I don't want to risk irritating the skin though.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

( I will put this post in the "grooming" forum as well )

Seregil

This is going to sound funny but if you rub butter on the sticky stuff on you it will come of ,maybe try butter the grease from it will come out in the wash with a little dishwashing liqid..rubbed in with your finger tips...so just a little...

I use Detachol to remove glue from my sheltie ears. I put some onto a cotton ball and let it soak into the hair around where the glue is. Make sure it is not going into the ear canal. Then I work it into the area by softly rubbing. Leave for a couple of minutes and then with a fine tooth comb, gently try to comb the glue out. If it is not coming loose, repeat all the steps again.

Are you close to where your breeder is? Could you take the pup over and get them to remove the glue and reset the ears for you?

When we used to glue our sheltie's ears we used ZOFF remover, you can get this from most chemist's.....we never glue puppies ears any more to uch hassle with trying to remove it and taking hair along with it.....Our friend used tape and wool instead (if we need help with ears) and it works a treat

Edited by Owned by Shelties

I use Detachol to remove glue from my sheltie ears. I put some onto a cotton ball and let it soak into the hair around where the glue is. Make sure it is not going into the ear canal. Then I work it into the area by softly rubbing. Leave for a couple of minutes and then with a fine tooth comb, gently try to comb the glue out. If it is not coming loose, repeat all the steps again.

Are you close to where your breeder is? Could you take the pup over and get them to remove the glue and reset the ears for you?

This....

Also "unisolve" works well. (from craft supplier like spotlight).

Eucalyptus oil also works.

a "nit" comb, which has really fine teeth is good for combing through the hair.

Congratulations on your puppy. There are some good sheltie people in perth who will be able to help you.

Eucalyptus oil works well but you will need to shampoo really well afterwards to get rid of the smell!

I was given some Citsol a while ago... absolutely brilliant, haven't been able to find it in shops though so my little container is used sparingly.

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated!

I ended up getting a new bottle of Zoff from the chemist and that has finally got the stuff off. I had been given a bit of the remover in a little bottle but it must have been past its use-by date i guess.

Cheers