Who Makes The Final Decision On Prefixes?

PooMother

I am just wondering who is it, at the end of the day, that makes the decision on whether or not a prefix is approved? Is it the Australian council or one from OS?

I have been declined my prefix (and I say mine only because I want to use the same one that I have had for the last 16 years for my cattery) no reason given. I have been told that I can submit a letter of appeal if I choose, which I will be doing.

There are 3 similar OS (none pronounced the same) but none with the same spelling

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sorry can't help with the query but, you can create a new thread in the breeders section and then post in it as well, but you can't post in any other thread. You might get more answers if you start the thread there instead of here.

Sorry can't help with the query but, you can create a new thread in the breeders section and then post in it as well, but you can't post in any other thread. You might get more answers if you start the thread there instead of here.

No, you can't anymore. You used to be able to, but since the upgrade, you can only start threads there if you're a "member".

Really? Wow.... Is that deliberate or a consequence of the upgrade I wonder.

No idea. I have a prefix, although I haven't decided if or when to breed yet (but my boy is shaping up to possibly be a stud dog) but I'm not sure that I will qualify to be a "member" of the breeders forum.

The decision regarding prefixes is made in Australia. They do check. They will not allow a prefix which is the same or very similar to an existing prefix, or which sounds the same, even if spelled differently.

So, for example, if you applied for "New" and someone else already had "Gnu", it wouldn't be allowed (sorry for the terrible example, all I could think of!!) :laugh:

I had a prefix for 20 years. I stopped breeding for a couple of years, allowing the prefix to lapse. When I reapplied, I was not allowed to have it, as someone had applied for, and got a prefix which was similar.

The appeal process is there to allow you to put your case.

Just out of curiosity, how do you appeal if they've given you no reason for the rejection? My first choice was rejected and I was granted my second choice. I had searched far and wide to see if anyone had anything close to my first choice as it was part of my dogs registered name, and I wanted to honour him as he was the first (and in light of his death, I really do wish I'd got that prefix).

To lodge an appeal though.......and I deal with legislative appeals at work daily.....you need to have a reason for appealing the decision, just as they have to have a reason for the rejection. But they don't make it known.

I don't think they ever give a reason. If you give them a call they might be able to explain their appeals process.

I'm really not sure ow they choose sometimes. My first choice, like you, I cheked far and wide and couldn't find anything similar. Yet I got given my third choice, which I don't mind, but have since found out a European kennel in the same breed used to have it! :confused:

Poomother I wanted my cat prefix also but did not get it. But happy with second.

The trick is put the one you want then 9 others from SwaY list. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Then they just reject them all and you have to start again with a new list of 10. I know of breeders that had to submit 36 names before they got one and that was 40 years ago. I got my first choice but not many people do.

I am just wondering who is it, at the end of the day, that makes the decision on whether or not a prefix is approved? Is it the Australian council or one from OS?

I have been declined my prefix (and I say mine only because I want to use the same one that I have had for the last 16 years for my cattery) no reason given. I have been told that I can submit a letter of appeal if I choose, which I will be doing.

There are 3 similar OS (none pronounced the same) but none with the same spelling

Any ideas?

Thanks

As others have said, it is decided by the ANKC here in Oz. Mind you I am not sure that a whole lot of rhyme nor reason goes into various decisions. Why I didn't get my first or second choice, I have no idea.... but at least I didn't get my 9th choice like someone I know did.

What I find interesting is puppy registrations where a puppy in one breed can be allowed to have the same name as a well known, grand champion, BIS winning dog in the SAME state but in a different breed. Wonders how some of those get through sometimes.

When I applied for my second prefix - a long time ago now, I ignored the instructions, and submitted only one prefix. I particularly wanted this prefix, and surprise, surprise, it was approved. Too easy. :D

Could it be possible that the prefix was rejected because you breed cats under it? Do they allow breeding of different species (cats and dogs) under the one prefix?

T.

My prefix is the same for cats & dogs but I did have it for the dogs first.

I would just phone & ask why & then ask about doing the appeal if you are not sure how to.

When I applied for mine 15 years ago the first 10 were rejected, sent in another 10 --- again rejected. Next time I sent 30, I have no idea just how far down the list my given prefix was but I do remember how much I disliked it. It did eventually grow on me though :) .

What I find interesting is puppy registrations where a puppy in one breed can be allowed to have the same name as a well known, grand champion, BIS winning dog in the SAME state but in a different breed. Wonders how some of those get through sometimes.

The name of a dog is a totally different proposition and I'm not at all surprised this has happened. At one point there were four bitches with exactly the same name (obviously not the same prefix :laugh:) in the same breed in the ring at the same time, all within 6 weeks of age of each other. The rego forms were probably all at the KC at the same time in this case and they were all allowed because the prefix is different.

I would be pleased to be able to apply for a Breeders Prefix, but with Vic Dogs new ruling I cannot apply for 12 months as I am a new member, I have had my 2 girls for a while and was waiting to aquire the right stud dog before registering , I was 8 days short of the cut off date,I would have been on time but was waiting for paperwork from an interstate breeder, there was no mention of the new ruling in the monthly gazette, and Victoria is the only state to enforce it at the momemnt, If I lived in NSW I would be able to register a Prefix, I could understand more if within that 12 months Vic dogs supplied some sort of information seminars to help new breeders, I did apeal but was rejected

Is this ruling going to make more BYB or help stop BYB

The ANKC (althought exactly who these shadowy figures are?) make the decision to approve or reject prefixes. There is no rhyme nor reason behind their choice as long as it doesn't resemble an existing registered prefix as already stated. You cannot find out why a requested prefix was rejected and I suspect that any appeal would be a waste of your time.

The name of a dog is a totally different proposition and I'm not at all surprised this has happened. At one point there were four bitches with exactly the same name (obviously not the same prefix :laugh:) in the same breed in the ring at the same time, all within 6 weeks of age of each other. The rego forms were probably all at the KC at the same time in this case and they were all allowed because the prefix is different.

That really is very funny!