Another Dog Attack

Kirty

Just saw on the news that a family dog attacked its owners, leaving them with parts of their fingers missing. :( Large bringle crossbreed - looked like Am Bulldog or Boxer cross type dog (the footage was dark). Wonder what happened?

This is what is in the link. It wasn't through people aggression but through breaking up a dog fight....

A DOG which bit off a woman’s thumb is also believed to have attacked her son and they are both being treated in the same Melbourne hospital.

The South Albury woman, 64, was flown by air ambulance to St Vincent’s Hospital yesterday morning after having her thumb severed by Axl, a Neapolitan mastiff, on Thursday night.

Her son, 37, had already been admitted to the same hospital after having been bitten on the hand and needing plastic surgery.

The mother was undergoing an operation in St Vincent’s last night.

Axl’s fate remains unclear with Albury Council ranger Darren McFarlane saying it would be up to the owner, who is the son’s girlfriend, to decide.

Mr McFarlane, speaking alongside Axl at the Albury pound yesterday, said the dog was “a victim of circumstance”.

Despite encouragement, Axl did not move from the bed in his cage, and when put on a leash and brought outside the cage, did not respond when other dogs barked at him or when a camera flash went off in his face.

Mr McFarlane believed the dog had “no aggressive motives in it”.

It is believed that the mother had intervened in a fight between Axl and another dog, also a male, which was not desexed.

Mr McFarlane said if people wanted to separate fighting dogs they should use a bucket of water, a hose, or another implement which ensured distance, and if grabbing a fighting dog they should do so from behind, never by the neck.

“I’ve been doing this for 17 years and I know an aggressive dog and he certainly is not, he just reverted back to animal pack nature,” he said.

“He has shown no aggression at all towards us last night or today.”

Although a neighbour of the mother and son said he had contacted the council the day after the first dog attack, Mr McFarlane said there was no record of any call.

He said the owners could have taken the dog to the pound or vet to have it put down after the first attack.

“It’s not a council issue because the dog hasn’t attacked a third party.”

having had to break up two fights some years ago did what i had seen my dad do. two people. one grabbed one dog by the tail and hind leg and the other person did the same. a third hosed the dogs heads to make it hard for them to breathe in all that water and when they let go to get a mouthfull of air they were pulled apart.

no one was hurt.

not impressed when a few days later the other dog got out again but the fight was successfully parted same way.

although in that case was alone but my dog was thankfully on a chain so grabbed the neighbours dog by his tail and held the hose on their faces with the water on hard and it worked to make them let go.

again the neighbours dog made no attempt to bite me. once i had them sepearted. well i was ready to shove the hose in his mouth if he was thinking of it.

when will people ever get taught you dont grab fighting dogs by the collar or anywhere near the head?

as for those who think hitting them round the head is going to sepearate them...sheesh

just sends em nuts, wonder if they think its the other dog hurting them and decide to get stuck into them even more?

any behavourists know?

and even more important.. is there better ways than what my dad did?

really this information is certainly not out there is it?

Edited by asal

The dog pictured (it was labelled as being the attacking dog, Axl) did not look at all like a neo mastiff. It looked very much like a boxer or boxer cross to me.

I think most people realise that sticking your hand near 2 fighting dogs head is not a good idea.

However in the heat of the moment, people often do stupid things, they would normally not otherwise do.

It is simply an unfortunate accident, sadly it looks like in this case, the dog pays :(

Thank goodness. A realistic , informative report. Although awful for those involved, a fair and balanced account of the facts is exactly what dogs and the community need right now.

Yep and good on Darren, the head ranger for Albury Council, for his usual no-nonsense down-to-earth response. I worked alongside(ish) Darren for many years when I ran Albury Dog Rescue. He is a very, very competent ranger who doesn't mess around - if he thinks you've screwed up he'll tell you (and I had my turn at the end of that serve :laugh: ) but he knows dogs. We had a really nasty local dog jump our fence and bail Steve up. Steve rang the rangers and Darren came out and had absolutely no trouble getting him onto a lead and into the back of the van without need for catchpoles etc. Nice to know that the rangers in Albury won't condemn a dog unless its well-deserved but it really doesn't surprise me. :thumbsup:

Thank goodness. A realistic , informative report. Although awful for those involved, a fair and balanced account of the facts is exactly what dogs and the community need right now.

Yep and good on Darren, the head ranger for Albury Council, for his usual no-nonsense down-to-earth response. I worked alongside(ish) Darren for many years when I ran Albury Dog Rescue. He is a very, very competent ranger who doesn't mess around - if he thinks you've screwed up he'll tell you (and I had my turn at the end of that serve :laugh: ) but he knows dogs. We had a really nasty local dog jump our fence and bail Steve up. Steve rang the rangers and Darren came out and had absolutely no trouble getting him onto a lead and into the back of the van without need for catchpoles etc. Nice to know that the rangers in Albury won't condemn a dog unless its well-deserved but it really doesn't surprise me. :thumbsup:

I agree, it is great to have a dog savvy Ranger who likes dogs and knows how to deal with people too :)