Are Some Things Better Left To The Pros?

Guest muttrus

I made an enquiry about a dog recently at a certain Sydney Pound.The day after,a lady from Pound Rounds rang me in order to help me with transport or kennelling etc.She was polite and friendly but obviously the Pound had given her my phone number.Now I get sms from this person asking me to look at other dogs.

I understand they are trying to help but found it a breach of my privacy for my name and no to be given out like that by the Pound.

I'd be contacting the Pound in question and having a serious chat with the manager about his staff breaching the Privacy Act. It's actually a criminal offence to give out a person's details to a 3rd party without express permission to do so.

T.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made an enquiry about a dog recently at a certain Sydney Pound.The day after,a lady from Pound Rounds rang me in order to help me with transport or kennelling etc.She was polite and friendly but obviously the Pound had given her my phone number.Now I get sms from this person asking me to look at other dogs.

I understand they are trying to help but found it a breach of my privacy for my name and no to be given out like that by the Pound.

I'd be contacting the Pound in question and having a serious chat with the manager about his staff breaching the Privacy Act. It's actually a criminal offence to give out a person's details to a 3rd party without express permission to do so.

T.

I will have to do so.I have just seen that Pound Rounds has found me on Facebook and are sending me messages through there now.So are Pound Rounds a group of pound volunteers? They are wanting me to take more dogs on.Its unnerving being tracked down in such a way.

Well it's been just two weeks and already Pound Rounds are stealing the DOL Pound List work again. :rolleyes:

post-6444-0-52189000-1326937159_thumb.jpg

Have you tried making the watermark more prominent and perhaps changing the wording of it? For example.. "© Poundlist 2012" and then below that (but positioned in such a way as to make cropping it off impossible) "If you viewing this image anywhere other than [Dol, wherever], it has been STOLEN"

It certainly won't stop them from copy/pasting but at least other people will be aware that the images are being used without permission of Poundlist.

Well it's been just two weeks and already Pound Rounds are stealing the DOL Pound List work again. :rolleyes:

post-6444-0-52189000-1326937159_thumb.jpg

Have you tried making the watermark more prominent and perhaps changing the wording of it? For example.. "© Poundlist 2012" and then below that (but positioned in such a way as to make cropping it off impossible) "If you viewing this image anywhere other than [Dol, wherever], it has been STOLEN"

It certainly won't stop them from copy/pasting but at least other people will be aware that the images are being used without permission of Poundlist.

Nice work, HA! :thumbsup:

PL,

Maybe they thought you'd be distracted by the stupid drawn on moustache and French accent? :confused:

S

I have to admit.. I was wondering about that.

I guess maybe it'd make sense on the profile of a French breed of dog (like a poodle or a Frenchie) but for a staffy x Australian cattle dog.. erm.. no. Personally I wouldn't do it anyway because it looks pretty unprofessional.

Also, "no" entirely to badly drawn paintbrush additions to photos. Photoshop can be valuable in cleaning up images to remove distractions, other dogs/people/whatever but drawing stuff on images, in my opinion, is not doing their profile any favours. Adopters want to see the dog- not the dog, obscured behind a silly moustache.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

When you're dealing with this kind of mentality, you have to just assume they're catering to their audience.

Seems so. If they have the time to be drawing on moustaches and writing introductions in accents, you'd think they'd also have the time to take their own photos, hey? :noidea:

When you're dealing with this kind of mentality, you have to just assume they're catering to their audience.

Seems so. If they have the time to be drawing on moustaches and writing introductions in accents, you'd think they'd also have the time to take their own photos, hey? :noidea:

Another little gem according to this person is that by not sharing or giving permission for them to use Pound Lists notes and photos they are directly responsible for 'Bella' being PTS. What a bunch of id1Ots, the vitriol that is coming from people who have no idea is quite scary

Another little gem according to this person is that by not sharing or giving permission for them to use Pound Lists notes and photos they are directly responsible for 'Bella' being PTS. What a bunch of id1Ots, the vitriol that is coming from people who have no idea is quite scary

They have also claimed they go to the pound and take video's and notes. Where are they then and if people do not want to associate themselves with their vile emotional pushing of dogs why should they have to? Quote "They claimed we did not go to the pound ourselves. They claimed on DOLs we stole all the pictures and videos, they claimed we were trying to corner the market and make all rescues and volunteers deal with PR. WTC??? (what the craziness)

They must have missed the videos and photos since May 31st with my ugly mug in them. They must have missed Vickis doggy babbling videos (you know when you do doggy baby language and it seems so normal at the time but... ), they must have never seen Zsusie or Lizzie or Lyn or Sean or or or or. In fact they must have never once visited the Pound Rounds site."

They use to photo's and ask for donations, this is blatantly obvious. They now offer to adopt a dog from pound rounds for $150 straight from the pound. How is that not rescue? They want to figure out what they are rather than trying to be a wedge between pounds and rescues. So over them.

They are trying to blame so many for dogs dying in pounds because they can't use Pound List photo's, just another attempt at blaming others for people dumping their dogs in the pound and leaving them there. The attempted guilt trip will not work. Pound List is not to blame.

Guest muttrus

SO why don't just just go take their own photos and video? they claim to be a bunch of volunteers doing it so why not actually just go do it??

I don't know much about them only what Ive read I did check out their facebook page and they are asking for donations for a dogs op while I realise people should take care when handing over money but are these people actually allowed to do this? and IS the money really going to where its claimed to?

Im so confused as to these people where are they? who are they? do they actually do any good? to me it comes across as ONLINE POUND SHOPPING helping people adopt a pound dog out of guilt and giving others a high horse to ride on

If Ive misunderstood them please feel free to let me know because I just can't get my head around the whole process

Muttrus, that's the million dollar question.

Everyone rescues differently, and it's a given that groups and individuals clash. So putting ethical debates aside: my only other reason for jumping up and down is to keep Pound List a trusted, transparent and independent source, as a team of people from many different groups all working together.

Pound Rounds can go in and do their own work. It's that simple. Nobody is stopping them.

And I think our stance is justified further by the fact that PL people have been called and bullied, sent vile emails, watermark/copyright has been ignored (btw I'd rather that we didn't have to bother with the extra editing but again it's proved necessary), we've been blamed for the death of pound dogs and personally maligned for our individual rescue efforts. Since PL established in 2008 we've had no drama even close to this: does that tell you anything?

However, I really need to thank every single rescuer who has respected what we try to do.

xxxAnna

*efs

Edited by Powerlegs

SO why don't just just go take their own photos and video? they claim to be a bunch of volunteers doing it so why not actually just go do it??

I don't know much about them only what Ive read I did check out their facebook page and they are asking for donations for a dogs op while I realise people should take care when handing over money but are these people actually allowed to do this? and IS the money really going to where its claimed to?

Im so confused as to these people where are they? who are they? do they actually do any good? to me it comes across as ONLINE POUND SHOPPING helping people adopt a pound dog out of guilt and giving others a high horse to ride on

If Ive misunderstood them please feel free to let me know because I just can't get my head around the whole process

According to the people involved with pound rounds and I quote

" Last time we shared them - they shut the entire thread down - just before Christmas - another group of vols on DOLs opened it up - and now it appears PoundList has reopened a duplicate thread - again with a sincere attempt to refuse anyone else access - take a photo, copyright, refuse sharing and then standby and let them die. So much is wrong with that. So very much.

Thanks for your advice Carey - we will approach the council about it as well. Trying to enforce a copyright of photos of dogs about to be killed feels so wrong - that overwhelming feeling of discomfort should have been enough. We certainly know what we would do next time - and that is save her life - and if the pound hadn't been at critical mass and brought forward the time - we probably owuld have made one last desperate attempt :"-("

I believe the thread was opened up and the councils website photo's were used. No questions answered, only updated when the council website changed.

They claim they would have saved her yet didn't but we are suppose to believe a dog died because of Pound List not putting a photo up, yet the dog in questions photo IS up. It seems like the usual deflection of blame on people not wanting to associate themselves with pound rounds, rather than the pound being full due to people dumping their dogs.

"This is TOTAL INSANITY. The person/people responsible for preventing the rescue of any dog should NOT be in rescue.... Maybe they need to consult a dictionary and look up exactly what rescue means. Lets face it, animal lovers save lives, egomaniacs override anything and everything to be noticed GET OUT OF RESCUE YOU MORONS and leave it to those who know the meaning of the word RESCUE"

"This is awful to read but so typical of the vicious nasty animal welfare politics. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on the owner of the copyright. I hope you are happy, whoever you are!! And please do not EVER try and pretend you are an animal welfare person, as you are not."

No one ever said people could not 'rescue' (or whatever pound rounds is). People choose not to be associated with them again seems to cause them to believe anyone likes seeing a dog being pts.

"Very well said Melanie. I take pictures of cats at BP weekly. Post them on Gumtree (and bump the older posts) and I couldn't give a continental who uses, shares or borrows my photos!! We (well most of us) are here to promote/cross post as many companion animals as we can. Use what you like of my pics, I'm not that narrow minded, if it saves a life fanbloodytastic!!"

Again photo's not wanting to be put on Gumtree if that means sharing photo's anyway. It has been done before and caused a great deal of abusive phone calls to pounds and confusion as dogs and cats were no longer in the pound.

"This is awful to read but so typical of the vicious nasty animal welfare politics. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on the owner of the copyright. I hope you are happy, whoever you are!! And please do not EVER try and pretend you are an animal welfare person, as you are not."

I guess the key thing is the accusation of Pound List not allowing rescue as claimed is a sensationalist motion. Pound List does not want to be held to ransom to Pound Rounds. It is simple as that.

They use the photo's as their own, claim notes they edit and use some of these photo's to gain money to get a dog out of the pound, via chip in's and offer people to adopt the dog through them in their 'subsidised adoption' program straight from the pound.

I understand that some people who read this are going to say it is petty or should be done 'quietly'. The pettiness is unfortunately huge, but to put everything out for people to see would take a novel to do so and no one has the time or could be bothered to do it.

All that is asked is pound rounds do their thing that they obviously believe is right, leave Pound List to do what they think is right and not involve any notes or photo's into their idea of getting the dogs exposure.

It is really a simple thing that has been asked, yet they have gone to attack.

The last example of this was after asking for the above is what the Clause 16D holder felt necessary to post. I have deciphered most of it, none which is adult like or respectful in any way to people who just wish not to be associated with pound rounds which includes not distributing photo's

1.jpg

Edited by Malti

Guest muttrus

Why didn't they just ask permission in the first place? they have a huge following and a huge group of volunteers so why not cut the bulls###t and become a rescue take dogs themselves do the temp testing -caring -vet work- photos -adoption process -rehoming -cleaning -feeding -phone calls-worry- stress -joys- pound rounds ( :) paperwork *******************

Im still confused Im one woman and I did all my own work in regards to what our rescue needs to be done oh what joy an extra pair of hands would bring --but Im not about to go steal them!

Why didn't they just ask permission in the first place? they have a huge following and a huge group of volunteers so why not cut the bulls###t and become a rescue take dogs themselves do the temp testing -caring -vet work- photos -adoption process -rehoming -cleaning -feeding -phone calls-worry- stress -joys- pound rounds ( :) paperwork *******************

Im still confused Im one woman and I did all my own work in regards to what our rescue needs to be done oh what joy an extra pair of hands would bring --but Im not about to go steal them!

Ditto. I've spent hundreds of hours developing a good, thorough website, doing my own photos, writing my own articles and caring for a pack of foster dogs. I do regular behavioural assessments (because behaviour can and often does change while in care) and keep records so I can find any trends that need addressing.

Surely PoundRounds could spare a few hours a week to take some photos, do some testing and write up their own notes? It's not exactly taxing and if they're planning on adopting dogs out, it has to be done. You just can't rely on other peoples' notes when you haven't even seen the dog yourself.

Beats me guys, they are absolutely free to go do whatever they want.

Each member does their PL volly work on top of their own rescue/family/personal commitments. And personally with this bullying and footstamping going on, I'm beginning to wonder if fighting to keep it going is worth it for any of us.

btw for the rescuers who have been assisted by PL members as recently as yesterday (and in many cases they don't know it because members prefer to work quietly) thanks ever so much for the less than flattering hysterical facebook posts. ;)