Are Some Things Better Left To The Pros?

Guest muttrus

Facebook is the root of all evil IMHO - I hate it with a passion...

... and there are WAY too many "armchair rescuers" out there - sitting at their computers all day hounding those that actually are flat chat actually DOING the hard yards.

T.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Facebook is a tool like any other; we've found it an excellent way of building a support base for our rescue. But like any tool it's only as good as the intent and sense of the person using it.

Facebook is the root of all evil IMHO - I hate it with a passion...

... and there are WAY too many "armchair rescuers" out there - sitting at their computers all day hounding those that actually are flat chat actually DOING the hard yards.

T.

Guest muttrus

I too have a love hate realationship with facebook I love my bussiness page HATE our kids page!

But after checking the page in question here my worries have been confirmed already there were posts regarding the group pound rounds .I too found it hard to find a group to join as a foster carer but as far as I can gather from this page is another page advertising I thought it was to promote great rescue groups but all I see is their ads nothing is the way of promoting why they are great .

I use my page to promote which dogs are available /adopted etc but its also really just a diary of whats happening I have upto 10 puppies at any one time so for me its a page to display 100s of photos and updates ---Hopefully it gives people a clearer picture of whats happening in a puppys life before adoption.

While facebook can be a evil tool it really is a matter of how you use it

[

It seems as if some of these people spend literally all day on FB; cross-posting, sharing, liking their friend's cross-posts and shares, posting snarks at enemies, cross-posting said snark to friend, liking friend's share of the snark, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

And meanwhile, the real world gets more & more distant. So reality checks go out the window.

As Aphra said, Facebook is a tool, not the world itself.

There was a Facebook page set up that was telling people not to foster or adopt animals from pounds, claiming that this would be "the biggest mistake you can make'. I'm not sure of the name of the page, as I ignored it, but it was posting all over a number of rescue group pages.

I don't really understand why SO anti-fb when it really is just a big message board/forum with slightly better options. The stuff that goes down on forums is just as bad and inaccurate as what happens on fb. FB is just an excellent communication device and a wise business would use it.

Back on track, I don't think she should have put up such a negative page. Yes there is alot of infighting with rescues, but airing it in a public forum and turning people off rescue by finger pointing isn't the way to go. The animals are what is important here. An animal saved is still an animal saved (and yes I do recognise that some are better than others and someone looking to adopt should make an informed choice).

The attacks that people from rescues have undertaken on this person who started the page are pretty bad in themselves imo. They are just making the situation worse by inflaming it and dividing rescue groups further.

TBH I dont think the average Joe would actually look at that page. I know when I first wanted to adopt I simply googled rescue and my area and one popped up. I just tried again with one of the attacked organisations and it still didnt get a hit.

I don't really understand why SO anti-fb when it really is just a big message board/forum with slightly better options. The stuff that goes down on forums is just as bad and inaccurate as what happens on fb. FB is just an excellent communication device and a wise business would use it.

Back on track, I don't think she should have put up such a negative page. Yes there is alot of infighting with rescues, but airing it in a public forum and turning people off rescue by finger pointing isn't the way to go. The animals are what is important here. An animal saved is still an animal saved (and yes I do recognise that some are better than others and someone looking to adopt should make an informed choice).

The attacks that people from rescues have undertaken on this person who started the page are pretty bad in themselves imo. They are just making the situation worse by inflaming it and dividing rescue groups further.

TBH I dont think the average Joe would actually look at that page. I know when I first wanted to adopt I simply googled rescue and my area and one popped up. I just tried again with one of the attacked organisations and it still didnt get a hit.

I disagree with this bolded bit. After seeing what I've seen this is not always the case. Just because an animal has been 'saved' doesn't mean it has a better quality of life. Anyway...

Saving an animal isn't just pulling it from a pound... there are MANY more factors that come into play Merci...

As for the FB page in question - some of their followers are known to go around slagging off various rescues. I'm guessing that some of the "research" going on is the lovely underground grapevine of gossip.

Funny that P.Rounds is miffed about this new "usurper" into what they would love to call their domain... lol! Maybe they can keep each other busy while the actual rescuers keep on doing their good thing... hehe!

T.

No one was "attacking" the creator of the page in question.

People asked questions, got no answer and so came to some fairly logical conclusions based on the information provided (including some of the rescues listed).

This isn't about having a go at anyone else- people here at passionate about what they do and work their arses off to do the right thing. It's disconcerting that some anonymous group would step in and begin declaring who's ethical without providing any information on methods used or even who is making these decisions.

As for the "An animal saved is still an animal saved" thing.. if only that were the case. Improper placement or unsuitable dogs being rehomed doesn't just hurt the individual dog and/or the family but also the reputation of rescue as a whole. Is it better to rehome one unsuitable dog, have it blow up in your face and lose ten potential homes?

Facebook is a great way to promote things like non-profits and their events but obviously there is no 'moderator' as such. So people do get away with posting things they would get booted from a forum over. In some cases that might be the appeal.

The newest rescue vs rescue page to spring up is quite the spectacle and if it wasn't so sad I'd post a link. :(

I worry about the dogs and the Average Joe reading all of that.

The way these people are acting is horrendous. All of them. It's just vile.

And everyone else will be left with not just promoting Rescue but doing damage control also.

Facebook can be a bit of a worry - mine keeps offering me "overstock ipads" for $30 - erm not bloody likely.

I count a point in a rescue's favour if petrescue will list them - so an FB page listing "reputable rescues" is a bit redundant in my opiniion.

Can't figure out what the stolen dog thing is about? Are there heaps of dogs stolen or missing from Penrith Pound?

And yes we get rescue politics in SA too. Is it right to rehome a dog that hasn't been desexed? I would say no, but not everyone agrees.

The whole stolen dogs thing is about a Rescue Group taking out dogs under their Clause 16d for Pound Rounds but not receiving details on where they are going, etc. And the dogs not being signed over legally before being rehomed... honestly, I've lost track. Everyone involved has absolutely done things just a tad dodgy and it's all blown up in everyone's face.

And as always, it's the dogs and contributors who are suffering.

Facebook can be a bit of a worry - mine keeps offering me "overstock ipads" for $30 - erm not bloody likely.

I count a point in a rescue's favour if petrescue will list them - so an FB page listing "reputable rescues" is a bit redundant in my opiniion.

Can't figure out what the stolen dog thing is about? Are there heaps of dogs stolen or missing from Penrith Pound?

And yes we get rescue politics in SA too. Is it right to rehome a dog that hasn't been desexed? I would say no, but not everyone agrees.

This is not always the case but yes I think the page is pointless, considering as some have said that people who want to adopt won't look on there anyway.

Hey guys,

I wasn't saying that just any dog can be taken from a pound and placed willy-nilly. I recognise that alot of work needs to go into finding them the right home. My point was, if the animal is rescued and put into the right home, what does it matter how it got there? Just because it isn't the way Rescue Group A would do it doesn't mean Rescue Group B's method doesn't work too.

Also, in relation to the attacking comment, clearly the author of the page felt attacked, or was at least making it seem like she was, through the couple of comments I read on the fb page. Whatever the case may be, I don't agree with the page and don't want to give it more attention than its due. Hopefully the old 'ignore and it will go away' method will work.

I made an enquiry about a dog recently at a certain Sydney Pound.The day after,a lady from Pound Rounds rang me in order to help me with transport or kennelling etc.She was polite and friendly but obviously the Pound had given her my phone number.Now I get sms from this person asking me to look at other dogs.

I understand they are trying to help but found it a breach of my privacy for my name and no to be given out like that by the Pound.

Hey guys,

I wasn't saying that just any dog can be taken from a pound and placed willy-nilly. I recognise that alot of work needs to go into finding them the right home. My point was, if the animal is rescued and put into the right home, what does it matter how it got there? Just because it isn't the way Rescue Group A would do it doesn't mean Rescue Group B's method doesn't work too.

Also, in relation to the attacking comment, clearly the author of the page felt attacked, or was at least making it seem like she was, through the couple of comments I read on the fb page. Whatever the case may be, I don't agree with the page and don't want to give it more attention than its due. Hopefully the old 'ignore and it will go away' method will work.

Unless I'm reading something different, it looks like the "attacking" of the page was done by someone from PR and done actually on the page itself, not here.

People here have done nothing more than ask questions and express opinions about the concept of such a page.