Endurance Test 2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is everyones training going ? We are aiming for the GSDCV ET and are currently doing 4 x 5km's a week and 1 x 8km per week with 2 days off. l'm worried about his fitness but don't want to over do it. He's a min pin (11.5 inches) so he will need to be super fit.

I'm starting to juggle between 2 dogs we are going to put through :laugh: I must be nuts :rofl: we will be making the 2hr drive trip to Sale, Vic

I think I will end up the bloody fittest here :laugh:

I'm starting to juggle between 2 dogs we are going to put through :laugh: I must be nuts :rofl: we will be making the 2hr drive trip to Sale, Vic

We were going to do Sale but it has been cancelled probably due to low numbers in the last few years.

Hi ! I have started training for my first ET. I hope to do the Sydney one in August with my 4 yo border collie. The Mothers Day fairies gave me a gel seat cover and a bike computer, so life is good!

We are currently doing about 5 km , 4 times a week. ( although my girl would happily do more, and wants to go at 16 km/ hr all the way!) I plan to up this to about 6 or 7 k in a week.

Some questions ....

Does it matter that she is always at the end of the lead - not quite pulling like a sled dog, but trying to get me faster ?

How often should we be doing training sessions of 15+ km? Would live to hear different people's training strategies.

Can we do the ET with a chain martingale ?

Happy training everyone!

So looks like I haven't got the Sunday off that I wanted for racing :(

Buut that means ET is back on.

We should be fit enough I think :crossfingers:

Can someone walk me through the process of entering please :D

Hi Esky the Husky,

looking from your signature, I assume you are in SA and will enter the ET in Adelaide.

It is being run by the GSDCSA, and details of the test are on their website www.gsdcsa.org

You can email the club secretary at [email protected] and they will let you know who and where to send entries to.

The test is being held on Saturday June 23.

If you need further help, please let me know.

Good luck!

M

Hi ! I have started training for my first ET. I hope to do the Sydney one in August with my 4 yo border collie. The Mothers Day fairies gave me a gel seat cover and a bike computer, so life is good!

We are currently doing about 5 km , 4 times a week. ( although my girl would happily do more, and wants to go at 16 km/ hr all the way!) I plan to up this to about 6 or 7 k in a week.

Some questions ....

Does it matter that she is always at the end of the lead - not quite pulling like a sled dog, but trying to get me faster ?

How often should we be doing training sessions of 15+ km? Would live to hear different people's training strategies.

Can we do the ET with a chain martingale ?

Happy training everyone!

Hi 3BW,

I have competed in nine ET's and judged ET's in Victoria and the ACT. Happy to answer your questions.

Firstly, you cannot use a chain at all. It must be a fixed collar, leather or webbing. Harnesses are also acceptable, but I do not recommend them.

The dog should not be pulling you, or lagging for that matter. If your dog can "heel" well, use the "Heel" command when training. Condition the dog to working alongside you the same way you would at obedience.

Dogs recover really quickly from strenuous exercise. Even so, one training session a week of 15K is more than ample.

Good luck for your test. Which one are you considering entering?

M

Hi murve,

you may have to choose another ET. Sale is cancelled this year.

M

Hi murve,

you may have to choose another ET. Sale is cancelled this year.

M

Yes I will now M, :( now looking at GSDCV , as I wont have 1 bitch ready for the HVCV trial

oh my juggling between dogs is starting to get good, but I have 1 boy who cracks the wobblies really bad if he dosen't go too :laugh:

Edited by murve

Thanks Abbiestar for your answers! You sound like you love ETs- 9 is a lot of times to have completed it. I can't see me having that many dogs in my life! I have a pup who will qualify in 2014 and then it will probably be another ten years before I can do it again

I am pleased that you think I don't need to do too many long sessions - I was worried about how I would find the time , and energy, for them.

We upped our distance to 8.7km yesterday. Dogs loved it, me not so much.. had my first stack off the bike!! Back at it again this afternoon though!

Oh uh!!

We are doing about 6 ks a day now at about 12ks an hour five or six times a week.

I am a bit worried about him though, two weeks ago ago he dumped his coat and quite a bit of weight. Although looking back when he had his first coat drop as a 14 month at this exact same time of year last year he also lost alot of weight? I have doubled his food and while he is still full of beans and his usual over the top self I am worried about his condition (or lack thereof!) Any ideas on putting on weight sensibly while training.

I'm really wanting to get the lowchen fit enough to do ET but she has No obedience and I ain't got a bike..

What's the deal with running and what are the dates for syd so I can start preparing ourselves

And how old do the dogs have to be as we have a lakie who is nearly 6 months who'd go great guns at this lol

Edited by smisch

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the vetting limits used in the ET : heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature and what time these are taken after the end of each leg?

I think they also check pads.

Anything else?

Thanks

Fern and I never got started as show commitments with my boy got in the way and then Fern had to have a histyocytoma (thankfully benign) removed from her leg right above the paw. :( Not sure she'll ever be sound enough to stand up to an ET but we'll see next year.

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the vetting limits used in the ET : heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature and what time these are taken after the end of each leg?

I think they also check pads.

Anything else?

Thanks

Hi Dogs4fun they do all of what you listed, these checks are done at the completion of each leg, 8km, 6km, 6km, bitches are checked before hand :)