Dog Proof Fencing For Acreage.

frufru

Thanks everyone, the existing barbwire and fence posts are in excellent condition and we were looking at what type of mesh or ringlock fencing we would need to add in order to dog proof - need an appropriate vocab and some idea of products before we speak to a fencing contractor. Our dogs will not be allowed out off leash until our fencing is adequate so just looking for ideas.

Jade - did you do the fencing yourself or get someone in? Looks good as does yours espinay!

We did it ourselves. It was way cheaper than paying someone. I think all together one side has cost about 400 or so dollars.

Our property backs on to cattle grazing land and we have a barbed wire fence, dog mesh and another chain link type over the top. I think mostly to keep dogs in and wild dogs out.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't overlook the value of training a dog where their fenceline is :) I grew up on10 acres all sheep fencing except for the dog yard. The family heeler x kelpie would often have the run of the place while everyone was working outside, but stayed on the property because my mum had spent ages walking the boundary and giving a verbal correction when she stuck any part of herself through the fence. I'm not saying to rely on it by any means, but it's a good (and free!) way to provide a back-up to the fencing.

There must be different sizes in the Deer Wire. The one my friend had was only about 2" square 3' off the ground. It was smaller than that at ground level and bigger above.

You're right. There does seem to be smaller ones which would be great. The one we used to have was more like this one below, so the gaps at head height were invitingly head-sized, and it just went from there really... First the head, then on foot... then another, give it a squiggle, and another squiggle... work it! And... freedom!!! :laugh: Monsters.

deer_fence2.jpg

Maybe more like this?

http://www.futurefencing.co.nz/Netting_16.aspx

It seems to have much narrower spacings, almost vertically rectangular instead of the bigger ones.

This one looks good but also looks as if it could be welded and maybe more expensive...: Plus it's in the UK... :o

http://www.mcveighparker.com/mcvp_store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=351

If you're going to fence across wildlife travel paths you might want to research wildlife friendly fencing. The chicken style mesh seems to be preferred over deer mesh as roos don't tend to get their legs stuck in it if they underestimate the fence height.

In NSW the containment systems have to be used in conjunction with a physical fence, and electrified fences cannot be stock type ones (I think ping string is still legal, haven't read up on it for a while)

I live in a country area near bush and own and run a boarding and training kennel and my husband has his own cyclone wire fencing company..... LUCKY ME.....

It might be more expensive but there is nothing better than a 180cm high cyclone fence (with a ground skirt) - keeps dogs in, other dogs out, doesn't hurt kangaroos because they cant go thru or over.

We have many clients asking for fencing ideas and one thing we say for people on acreage is that you should consider the idea of cyclone fencing a backyard quarter acre or so and then just add ringlock to your existing strand farm fence. This gives your dogs a great safe area to run around and when you are out and about with the dogs they can have access to the rest which the ringlock fence acts as a block to the dog racing off. The advantages:

1. If you have a large area dog fenced it is hard to maintain, dogs will also have lots time to find weak spots for digging out etc.

2. More risk of having a tree collapse and either the uplifted roots or a big branch come down and damage your dog fence.

3. A quarter acrea area is easier to keep mowed and maintained to reduce the risk of snakes.

4. Allows access to the front of the home for yourself and other people to drive in without having to open and shut gates therefore no risk of dogs getting out or being knocked by cars.

5. Keeps dogs backyard away from annoying neighbours where perhaps they have livestock who rub against the fence, or they might have dogs who charge your boundry.

6. Safer for the dogs to have access to the home when there is the risk of thunderstorms. Some dogs panic in big open areas.

7. Provides a place for dogs to go where it is safe for them when you have visitors around who might have horror kids - you only have to ban these kids from the dog yard.

8. Better to spend the money on having a good smaller area than a part way measure on a big area.

Couple of points you might want to consider -

Cyclone fencing is hard to put up if you dont know what you are doing - you can use pine posts but it is about getting the wire strained that is hardest - cyclone comes in 10m lengths and they have a single link that creates a seamless join to make any length you wish.

The electronic fencing doesnt keep other dogs out and one big problem is some dogs can run thru if excited but then later cannot get back.

Hope this gives food for thought.

post-23842-0-92973500-1325767753_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tralee, will contact council tomorrow to see what restrictions apply - our 2.6 acres is actually within the town boundary of a very small village

It might be better to drop a note with your local RSPCA Inspector.

There are requirements for electric fences too.

Dog fence

I had a "google" and couldn't find the graduated deer fencing which Dancinbc described - anyone got a link

Dog fence

I have used this product on two properties.

It still needs to be supported with a 3V electric ping wire.

Here is the same product used in a goat fence with electric wire.

There is a heavier gauge fence though, and that is usually used by contractors.

post-3970-0-11352800-1325794481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

Firstly, you will not be able to attach some dog proof wire/mesh to the cattle (barbed wire) fence because it is not legal.

Is this a local council thing or statewide Tralee? I've not come across this rule before. Do you have a link?

Spoke to local counil this morning and they do not have a problem with leaving the existing fence and putting chainlock or other over the top - they also said we did not need to seek approval or come under the guidlines of any other body such as DPI :shrug: . I would be interested in further info too please, Tralee. The only things I could find were suggestions about making fencing more kangaroo/wallaby friendly and will certainly look at this (so goat fencing is out)

Dog fence

I had a "google" and couldn't find the graduated deer fencing which Dancinbc described - anyone got a link

Dog fence

But you just lost someone's maremma through that fence didn't you? So that is probably a good example of fencing that doesn't work?

Following this topic with interest as we plan to move to acreage this year

I used deer fencing with chicken wire inside it at the bottom....don't stretch it too tight and climbing dogs can't climb it either. I used it for Tango who had incredibly high prey drive and would have walked out over the 1.5m cocky fencing backwards while asleep. Could leave him there and be 100% certain that he was safe (after I stopped him digging out under it :laugh:)

Thanks everyone, the existing barbwire and fence posts are in excellent condition and we were looking at what type of mesh or ringlock fencing we would need to add in order to dog proof - need an appropriate vocab and some idea of products before we speak to a fencing contractor. Our dogs will not be allowed out off leash until our fencing is adequate so just looking for ideas.

Jade - did you do the fencing yourself or get someone in? Looks good as does yours espinay!

Product used on our fence is 'netting' (sometimes referred to as rabbit netting or sheep netting):

http://www.onesteelwaratah.com.au/products/pre-fabricated-fencing-and-netting/netting.aspx

Chicken wire is a lot lighter guage wire and much easier to tear. I wouldn't even use chicken wire on a chicken pen as the foxes could easily tear through it ;)

I will admit I don't trust dog wire or deer fence or ringlock with dogs. The wider wire spacing means it is easier for them to get hold of it/push though it. I have seen plenty of dogs push and bite their way through these types of fences.

you could go with something like the Stocksafe-T: http://www.onesteelwaratah.com.au/media/51438/150cm%20stocksafe-t%20feral.jpg , but personally I still have my doubts and a small dog could still easily get through it.

Dog fence

Dog fence

But you just lost someone's maremma through that fence didn't you? So that is probably a good example of fencing that doesn't work?

Following this topic with interest as we plan to move to acreage this year

No.

Typical.

Different properties, but go right ahead, just be yourself.

And I did not lose anybody's Maremma.

The dog is at home with its owner.

The goat fence I have pictured and which is featured in the third photo from espinays first link has worked 100% :p

Spoke to local council this morning and they do not have a problem with leaving the existing fence and putting chainlock or other over the top - they also said we did not need to seek approval or come under the guidlines of any other body such as DPI :shrug: . I would be interested in further info too please, Tralee. The only things I could find were suggestions about making fencing more kangaroo/wallaby friendly and will certainly look at this (so goat fencing is out)

I had to report a neighbour for hitting my dogs in my absence and while I was present.

When they came out I discussed fences and the RSPCA will not allow cattle fence, barbed wire, to be used to contain dogs.

Now just think about it.

A dog running at full zoom around a barbed wire fence, or jumping and scrapping their bellies on it.

The Council doesn't know crap, and did they give it to you in writing?

That's why I suggested you consult your RSPCA inspector.

If you are going to beed the DPI outlines double fencing.

The council doesn't know crap!

6.3.2 Guidelines

6.3.2.1 Double barriers are recommended to assist in preventing the escape of dogs and cats.

Double fencing is not mandatory.

Cattle and horses are entirely different.

You can put a cattle fence on 240V mains power but you can't do that for dogs.

And you can't use barbed wire either.

Wallaby/Roo will jump 150cm which is all you need.

Regards

We

Edited by Tralee

I would personally be removing the barbed wire anyhow, I would be too worried about a dog poking a eye out. You can still use the same posts though which will save you a fair bit.

I wish I had meshed my outside fence when I built my fences but I would still have a smaller day yard for the dogs. It also makes it very exciting for the dogs to go for a run in the bigger paddock if they aren't out there all the time.

Dog fence

Dog fence

When I researched this I was told that I was unable to use an electric fence on my property to keep my rams in as I had Maremma working with them. This came from the RSPCA and regardless of what council says it is against the Prevention of cruelty to animals act for you to use an electric device to contain dogs as far as I know in NSW. If you can prove me wrong Id be a happy girl as my Ram is a major pain in my neck.

I would personally be removing the barbed wire anyhow, I would be too worried about a dog poking a eye out. You can still use the same posts though which will save you a fair bit.

I wish I had meshed my outside fence when I built my fences but I would still have a smaller day yard for the dogs. It also makes it very exciting for the dogs to go for a run in the bigger paddock if they aren't out there all the time.

Exactly right JulesP.

My young boy when he was just a pup tried to sally some shrub but came to grief impaling himself on the wire that was underneath it.

He couldn't move forward and couldn't move back.

He was suspended and captured by the fence.

If I had not been with the dogs at the time, I would not know where he was, or how long it would have taken to find him.

It doesn't matter how big your yard is dogs will get bored with it.

The trouble I found out on farm was the dogs did not think 5 acres was big enough either.

I've even seen them cross a 100 acre boundary.

I will be fencing the next/new property outside of the kennel yards but it will also have lots of doggy diversions. :D

Edited by Tralee

Dog fence

Dog fence

When I researched this I was told that I was unable to use an electric fence on my property to keep my rams in as I had Maremma working with them. This came from the RSPCA and regardless of what council says it is against the Prevention of cruelty to animals act for you to use an electric device to contain dogs as far as I know in NSW. If you can prove me wrong Id be a happy girl as my Ram is a major pain in my neck.

Right.

You cannot use the higher voltage that is used for sheep, cattle or horses.

But you can use 3V

I do know that 3V is allowable for dogs and is all you need.

I don't want to have to touch it a second time that's for sure.

The RSPCA does say that the ping wire must be 150mm out from the fence.

It might be enough for a ram, I don't know.

I have seen and know of someone on the forum who uses a car battery which is a much higher voltage.

Not that I am recommeding you do that.

Edited by Tralee