Dog Proof Fencing For Acreage.

frufru

I would personally be removing the barbed wire anyhow, I would be too worried about a dog poking a eye out. You can still use the same posts though which will save you a fair bit.

I wish I had meshed my outside fence when I built my fences but I would still have a smaller day yard for the dogs. It also makes it very exciting for the dogs to go for a run in the bigger paddock if they aren't out there all the time.

I also don't agree with barbed wire - for any animal.

Agree with smaller house yard and then runs out in the paddocks. Saves having to take them for walks if you don't want to etc. Running wears them out more than walking and you do need to control their dam adventures to times when you are free to wash them down after.

We do use electric fencing. It can be set at different levels etc so we use what we need to keep other dogs out and from annoying livestock/our dog. We did have to raise the level because the Rotty from down the road had no respect for it at the lower setting. Our own dogs soon learned not to try the fences and it was all good. The foxes seem immune, however. :mad

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dog fence

I had a "google" and couldn't find the graduated deer fencing which Dancinbc described - anyone got a link

Dog fence

I have used this product on two properties.

It still needs to be supported with a 3V electric ping wire.

Here is the same product used in a goat fence with electric wire.

There is a heavier gauge fence though, and that is usually used by contractors.

But you just lost someone's maremma through that fence didn't you? So that is probably a good example of fencing that doesn't work?

Following this topic with interest as we plan to move to acreage this year

Since we were in town at the time and....

6.3.1.3 An animal must not be able to escape except in circumstances that cannot reasonably be foreseen and guarded against.

Guess I've got that covered.

See ya

Tralee - can you put up the link to the doc you are quoting from - not sure if it is DPI or RSPCA - I can't find anything similar. The DPI Rural Residential pdf says nothing helpful.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions - it at least gives us some ideas!

So far

electric containment is out - poodles in show coats and collars don't mix and it doesn't stop dogs getting in

Has to be a solid fence

Our dogs are not escape artists or bored - they are generally not outside without us anyway so I think many of the mesh/ ringlock fences suggested would work for us - we will look at the more sturdy versions

Will look at completely removing the barbed wire

Edited by frufru

Tralee - can you put up the link to the doc you are quoting from - not sure if it is DPI or RSPCA - I can't find anything similar. The DPI Rural Residential pdf says nothing helpful.

Will look at completely removing the barbed wire

Animal Welfare Code of Practice

frufru

Look. I moved on to five acres several years ago with three dogs.

There was nothing around the house to contain the dogs and the five acres was poorly fenced with an old cattle fence.

I made a barracade for the three dogs, for when I was at work with roofing iron.

One afternoon when I got to the farm gate, my big dog was waiting inside the gate like Lassie.

He had broken out of the barricade.

The first fence I had put up fell down.

The contractor was cutting off the bottom of the tension posts so that he didn't have to dig deep holes.

The second fence was never going to fall over, but when the little girl was born she would wriggle through the stretch of wire around the house that divided the yard into two.

As she got bigger she simply continued to wriggle through the fence and began to take her older brother with her.

It was two and a half years before I tried an electric ping fence.

I have not had an escape with it since.

When I moved to the second farm, I put the full goat fence up that I posted pictures of.

Before I had the electric wire attached my houdini boy escaped at will.

After the electric fence was attached and the correct height found there were no further escapes.

Now that worked for me

My point is that you will find what's best for you.

My dogs don't wear collars because it flattens their coats.

And the goat fence is for keeping dogs out.

This is the goat fence I found one afternoon and fell in love with.

It is a beautiful fence and could be hung in an art gallery.

The wire is the heavy gauge one.

I found the contractor who put it up and had one built.

Good Luck

post-3970-0-86126100-1325832034_thumb.jpg

post-3970-0-05008700-1325832050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

Regards

We

:confused: Did you forget to finish your post, or has your grammar gotten even worse than it already was?

Nuh. That's my new signature.

signed;

Yours Sincerely

We

:p

Ah that actually makes sense

For new enclosures we have 7ft deer fencing that will have heavy gauge chicken mesh on it with the rabbit proof mesh underneath and a similiar system to the oscillot railing on top. Basically a top wire with a tube that will just keep rolling so nothing can get a grip - these areas will be used primarilly for the kangaroos, wallabies, deer and emu but we are building one for the CAO's when they need to be enclosed. I am thinking of doing the rolling wire for the house yards also as Jake used to be able to climb/jump most fences if he got his mind to it

Dog fence

I had a "google" and couldn't find the graduated deer fencing which Dancinbc described - anyone got a link

Dog fence

But you just lost someone's maremma through that fence didn't you? So that is probably a good example of fencing that doesn't work?

No.

Typical.

Different properties, but go right ahead, just be yourself.

And I did not lose anybody's Maremma.

The dog is at home with its owner.

The goat fence I have pictured and which is featured in the third photo from espinays first link has worked 100% :p

But what did your topic title state? "lost female maremma" - http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/230766-lost-maremma-sheepdog/page__p__5620946__fromsearch__1#entry5620946 What was that you said in the topic title... lost????????????

Now if I am not me PW then who should I be? Who do you like to be??

Edited by Winterpaws

I did think about electric but I would prefer the security of a physical fence and want to be sure other dogs cannot get in as well as ours not getting out.

Our yard is 2.5 acres, that sits in the middle of a 600 acre cattle property. When we arrived it was fully fenced with wooden posts and railings, and other parts were fenced with plain wire and barb.

The dogs (3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks) could get under the bottom wire/rail so we ran an electric wire around the whole yard. No dogs getting out and no dogs etc getting in!! :thumbsup: (outside the fence are bunnies, cows and the occassional kangaroo)

We are really happy with it so far. Touch wood :crossfingers: since moving in last march we haven't seen any snakes either ( we did get a visit from a goanna when my husband had turned the fence off, that freaked me out completley :eek:, haven't seen it since the fence was turned back on)

Dog fence

But you just lost someone's maremma through that fence didn't you?

So that is probably a good example of fencing that doesn't work?

No.

Typical.

Different properties, but go right ahead, just be yourself.

And I did not lose anybody's Maremma.

The dog is at home with its owner.

The goat fence I have pictured and which is featured in the third photo from espinays first link has worked 100% :p

Since we were in town at the time and....

6.3.1.3 An animal must not be able to escape except in circumstances that cannot reasonably be foreseen and guarded against.

But what did your topic title state?

"lost female maremma" - http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/230766-lost-maremma-sheepdog/page__p__5620946__fromsearch__1#entry5620946

What was that you said in the topic title... lost????????????

Now if I am not me PW then who should I be? Who do you like to be??

You can be whoever you like, but I suggest you read more than the title, and try to keep up with the posts if you are going to critique someone's comments.

Several people now have said that the electric ping fence is more than adequate.

If you are moving onto property yourself then you might be well advised to consider a similar unit in your plans.

Personally, when we are on farm I would not be without them.

Regards.

Px

BTW: Any idiot can lose a dog (refer to 6.3.1.3), however, it takes considerable insight and cunning to recover it again.

Frufru - the thing we have found crucial is proper straining of a wire close to the ground. Or girl is not a climber, so the height was not an issue. The fence is basic weld mesh with 2 wires along the top. Wallabies push under the fence in our experience, lifting it so the dog can get out. Never underestimate the cunning of a repeat escapee either. We watched our girl go along the 85m of fencing sticking her head through and lifting to see if she if the fence had any give. She checked between every 2 posts. Where she thought there was give, she put her head under (bum in the air) and pushed, wriggled and rocked to stretch the wire. 2 weeks later she is still trying it out at every given opportunity. Replacing posts, running 2 new strained wires and clipping the weld mesh to it has made all the difference :)

The deer fencing looks good. The weld mesh we have a mini poodle could stroll through easily.

Dog fence

Dog fence

When I researched this I was told that I was unable to use an electric fence on my property to keep my rams in as I had Maremma working with them. This came from the RSPCA and regardless of what council says it is against the Prevention of cruelty to animals act for you to use an electric device to contain dogs as far as I know in NSW. If you can prove me wrong Id be a happy girl as my Ram is a major pain in my neck.

Right.

You cannot use the higher voltage that is used for sheep, cattle or horses.

But you can use 3V

I do know that 3V is allowable for dogs and is all you need.

I don't want to have to touch it a second time that's for sure.

The RSPCA does say that the ping wire must be 150mm out from the fence.

It might be enough for a ram, I don't know.

I have seen and know of someone on the forum who uses a car battery which is a much higher voltage.

Not that I am recommeding you do that.

Nup Im not taking the risk of breaking the law - Ill stick with what Ive got . person I spoke with told me none we able to be used and I cant see a qualification of what can be used if anything in POCTAA

too scary for me.

Nup Im not taking the risk of breaking the law - Ill stick with what Ive got . person I spoke with told me none we able to be used and I cant see a qualification of what can be used if anything in POCTAA

too scary for me.

Item 10 in PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS (GENERAL) REGULATION 2006

Link to the list of prescribed devices and animals

thank you - is this the last amendment?

thank you - is this the last amendment?

I can't find anything newer - not to say there isn't of course... I can give myself a migraine with that site...

(disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer ... just a pleb with a computer)

Yep Im wondering now if I got the right answer to the wrong question when i spoke with the RSPCA .

I think I should have asked about ping fencing and maybe not electric fencing but they didnt qualify that anything lower than a certain voltage could be used.

Anyway we spent 60,000 on fencing so far to avoid having to use one.

Is that ruling Australa wide. Many many farms have electric livestock fencing around the house and have dogs. The fence isn't to keep the dogs in necssarily but it is of course there and does have that effect.

I think if that is illegal then it is a stupid law.

Is that ruling Australa wide. Many many farms have electric livestock fencing around the house and have dogs. The fence isn't to keep the dogs in necssarily but it is of course there and does have that effect.

I think if that is illegal then it is a stupid law.

Its different in each state and in Victoria there was a big court case - RSPCA against Innotec as RSPCA said ping fencing was cruel and innotec got that over turned but a member of this forum was found guilty of animal cruelty because she had an electric fence to keep wild pigs from her garden.

I spent quite a while speaking to the RSPCA on the phone and they went away several times to check and told me that if I had Maremmas working with the sheep I couldn't have the electric fencing but I didn't specifically ask about whether there was dispensation if there was a lower charge. When I hung up I was definitely of the belief that any form of electric fencing was out for containing my Ram if I had the dog with it.

So we got fencing like this around our house yard and fencing with a double boundary like espinays around the outside paddocks.Ive still got another 20 or so acres to go.

post-199-0-26030900-1326057261_thumb.jpg