Favourite Dog Toys

jacqui835

So I have NO money left over from Christmas, but poochy is particularly low on toys. So rather than go trial and error buying him new cool looking toys off the internet, I was hoping that some people here might have had good experiences with particular toys (and online shops). And I can't be the only one always on the look out for new dog toys ;)

I would love to know what your dog's favourite toys are and why, and perhaps if people mention their dog's breed and how long the toy lasts etc that would be very helpful.

Guest donatella

Just head to your local op shop and fill a bag of toys for $2.

Or I buy from the cheapo stores, she's loving her mini tennis balls at the moment and anything that squeaks. She doesn't ruin any thankfully although will occasionlly rip the stuffing out of a stuffed toy.

My dog us too busy chewing through electrical cords and blinds to ruin her own 100 toys.

Just head to your local op shop and fill a bag of toys for $2.

Or I buy from the cheapo stores, she's loving her mini tennis balls at the moment and anything that squeaks. She doesn't ruin any thankfully although will occasionlly rip the stuffing out of a stuffed toy.

My dog us too busy chewing through electrical cords and blinds to ruin her own 100 toys.

Oh dear lol well fortunately he doesn't eat power cords but he does decimate most of his toys given the chance so things from op shops wouldn't last more than 30 seconds in our house. He loves his kongs and orbee tuff balls but I feel bad making him chew the same 2 toys all day every day...

My huskies love Cuz's. :thumbsup:

http://www.wagsalot.com.au/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&cid=0&q=cuz&dispatch=products.search&x=8&y=13

I get the medium one's. The dogs think they are great, even the one's that don't usually play with toys. :laugh: they're pretty hardy too. :thumbsup:

Oh and it's cheap, definitely getting some of those :)

My dogs don't go much on rubber chew toys/bones. Much prefer the harder nylon type bones which are hard to find atm. The pet warehouse I go to didn't have any of the nylabone bones & when I asked why I was told that they had gone up $15 & they wouldn't be getting them anymore. :cry:

My dogs only get toys for training rewards and are never left unattended with them. I have Kelpie, Kelpie x, GSD

Mine love the Ruffians toys - similar to Cuz

Older 2 dogs love tennis balls, but the GSD will break them very quickly so I only use the dog friendly balls with the older Kelpie X, balls on a rope with younger Kelpie

For tugging mine love things that flap around, and like real fur or fake fur tugs, fleecy ones, and more recently a leather rag tug

Kong Wubbas - for fetch and tugging(use mostly with GSD, sometimes younger Kelpie)

Edited by Kavik

I'm the same as Donatella, my BC X loves toys. She will rip the stuffing out of some but the ones she likes stay in tact. She has a little cat at the moment that she thinks is the greatest. She also has ropes you can get from K-mart for $3. They last ages and are good for cleaning teeth too.

Edited by Hez's BC's

If you're looking for cheap but fun, try giving him a cardboard box for the day (free from your local fruit and veg shop). Hours of entertainment. Treat it like it is forbidden and he'll enjoy it even more :).

An empty sofdrink bottle with some treats also works well, just watch him with the lid.

Mine love their tugs, but they show extra gusto when it is an old sock or a pair of knickers!

If you want to spend some money then the deer antlers last long and are cherished by many dogs.

Mine love stuffies - we just buy cheap ones from the op shop, sometimes the dollar stores have some on sale, and the Cuz toys are a huge hit (the normal ones and the Cuz tails). The other toys they love are the empty nester toys and squeaker mats.

Edited by melinda10786

If you're looking for cheap but fun, try giving him a cardboard box for the day (free from your local fruit and veg shop). Hours of entertainment. Treat it like it is forbidden and he'll enjoy it even more :).

An empty sofdrink bottle with some treats also works well, just watch him with the lid.

Mine love their tugs, but they show extra gusto when it is an old sock or a pair of knickers!

If you want to spend some money then the deer antlers last long and are cherished by many dogs.

Sammy loves empty bottles. He is a strange dog though in that he absolutely hates confined spaces. We can get him into crates but he just hates it, and won't really relax until he's out (for example we can fly him in a crate and he doesn't make a fuss or anything, he just looks a bit edgy the whole time - it's like a bath, once he's out he's overjoyed). It's only recently that he has even decided to use his Hound House and certainly won't put his head into any boxes :s I might get one of those for the cat though - he has the opposite attitude and no matter the size of the box, he will happily plunge in head first.

I've been of a shopping spree on wagsalot lol - got the bad cuz (I think Sammy will like the feeling of the little horns over the good guy), this grass ball thing because again it looked like it was durable and had nice textures and then a 'hard-boiled' bee. Going to have a look at deer antlers...

We have separate toys for training - mainly french linen tugs that he doesn't have access to, but these are just to help keep him occupied whilst I'm at work - and I always feel a bit guilty after holidays. As soon as I put on a suit, he just knows and becomes a bit dispondent.

http://www.wagsalot.com.au/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&cid=0&q=cuz&dispatch=products.search&x=8&y=13

I get the medium one's. The dogs think they are great, even the one's that don't usually play with toys. :laugh: they're pretty hardy too. :thumbsup:

My lot also love Cuz toys and they last for years and year and years. We recently got the Hol-ee Cuz and the LOVE it even more than the original Cuz!!! I buy the large and medium, however for some reason we loose all our mediums in the yard. We have lost 2 medium in the last few month. Buggered if I know where they go?!?! However we do not seem to loose the large. :laugh:

Edited by buddy1

My lot also love Cuz toys and they last for years and year and years. We recently got the Hol-ee Cuz and the LOVE it even more than the original Cuz!!! I buy the large and medium, however for some reason we loose all our mediums in the yard. We have lost 2 medium in the last few month. Buggered if I know where they go?!?! However we do not seem to loose the large. :laugh:

Oh wow hol-ee cuz is awesome, I wish I'd seen that before I played my order... You know how sometimes you see a toy and you just know your dog would love it? Might have to make a 2nd order :(

Every time I buy something a bit expensive or cool, my dogs don't want a bar of it. However, if it's a stuffed toy for a present or something they're all over it :rolleyes:

Lili enjoys fluffy things, they are her "babies" and if Mosley tries to steal them there's hell to pay!! She also loves anything that squeaks and tennis balls.

Mo has never been a toy kind of dog, he'd prefer to just lay down for a bit :laugh: but I got him one of those plastic water bottles wrapped in felt toys and he's been playing with it a lot.

Anything soft lasts about a week in our house, although there is a fluffy pig that has been kicking around in the backyard for quite a while now, not sure what the go is with him.....

Oh and I have to agree with megan, my dogs would prefer socks/knickers/bras over ANY toy :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

Oh wow hol-ee cuz is awesome, I wish I'd seen that before I played my order... You know how sometimes you see a toy and you just know your dog would love it? Might have to make a 2nd order :(

Maybe call them to add to your order so you don't have to pay postage again? I have done this before.

The great thing about the Hol-ee Cuz is my dogs that love balls love it and because of the soft toy inside my dogs who love stuffed toys also love it! Everyone is happy :D

Maybe call them to add to your order so you don't have to pay postage again? I have done this before.

The great thing about the Hol-ee Cuz is my dogs that love balls love it and because of the soft toy inside my dogs who love stuffed toys also love it! Everyone is happy :D

I just thought of that but wagsalot don't have the Hol-ee Cuz :( Yeah it tooks like the toy of my dog's dreams... Just found it on another site, but shipping is like $8 and I paid $10 for the shipping of 3 items :( I wonder if any of the shops around me might stock it.

Lili enjoys fluffy things, they are her "babies"

This is the same as one of my girls. She does not "play" with them she just carries them around and then uses the toy as a pillow. It is very cute. She does not chew them and as the other dogs don't play with stuffed toys they last for years (one of my lot prefers balls and the others aren't really into toys. She is 3.5 years old and we still have the stuffed toy that the breeder put in the crate with her for her flight when she was 8 weeks old.