"wet" Dog Food For Dogs

Leelaa17

The best dog food for your dog is the food your dog does best on. If your dog does really well on dog rolls and Supercoat then feed him that. If your dog does well on raw then feed him raw. If your dog does well on Woollies Home Brand Sardines and a premium kibble like Royal Canin then feed him that.

Take no notice of the food evangelists, just feed your dog what your dog does best on.

That's what a lot of people say, but then my dogs will and can do well on probably any type of food, short term or long. What I want to feed them (good nutrition) is completely different from what they can eat and survive on, which might be table scraps or pedigree. Quality of life (and hopefully length), best food that is right for them and proper nutrition for their species is what I aim to achieve by giving them premium foods.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed raw egg all the time :)

You shouldn't the whites have a component in them that blocks biotin (a B group vitamin) absorption. In the longterm if fed often (daily)not a good thing for their coat, once a week would not hurt, or benefit either. Just partially cook the eggs until the clear white turns solid white, you can give raw yolks that's fine. :)

no need, the yolk is supercharged with biotin

I had to feed some supercoat sensitive to my bitch after she got a great case of acidosis. Her coat has turned to absolute shite. It's dry and falling out, from glossy and deep tan colour to a washed out sandy too. Ugh can't wait for it to come back.

of course her illness wouldn't have had anything to do with her poor coat would it?

of course her illness wouldn't have had anything to do with her poor coat would it?

actually she was doing quite well for a while, it was a couple of weeks into the supercoat that I noticed the downhill slide of her coat. She got nothing but supercoat and now she looks like shite. We managed to catch the acidosis before it got too bad and needed the dog to be almost boarding at the vets. I have a bag of supplements, electrolytes and other things here, now that she's being reintroduced to a more normal diet she's starting to improve thank god. A heavily moulting Malinois is a force to be reckoned with, I think even the poor dyson is about to go on strike.

ETA I had tried a diet similar to the supercoat one once before when I was really short on cash, her coat went the same way and she had no health problems back then. My Dogue ended up almost bald too.

Edited by Nekhbet

The best dog food for your dog is the food your dog does best on. If your dog does really well on dog rolls and Supercoat then feed him that. If your dog does well on raw then feed him raw. If your dog does well on Woollies Home Brand Sardines and a premium kibble like Royal Canin then feed him that.

Take no notice of the food evangelists, just feed your dog what your dog does best on.

If there was a like button on here this post would get one!!

Mine get a mix of dry and wet food, but mostly dry and they are awesome! Wouldn't change a thing. I could read a million articles, but while my dogs are thriving and I mean "Thriving" on the diet they are getting now, I'll continue doing what I"m doing

My lot get Supercoat biscuits ;) They look as good, if not better, than they did on Advance. And my Kelpie is always getting comments at shows about how black and shiny he is (although that did make it hard at a photo shoot using a black background :p ):D I do toss up occasionally about trying other brands but they are not so easy find, where as I can go to my local stockfeed 7 days a week if I run out :laugh:

Oh, and our cats get Whiskas (wet and dry) and most have lived to 18+, except for the white nosed cats who we have had problems with cancer but I put that down to their white noses :(

Edited by mirawee

Scout's on Optimum Adult kibble and 4legs sausage [alternates between the balls and sausage...get funny looks when I say out loud I need to pick up dog balls for Scout to eat]. Tried other kibble but usually just results in explosions from the back end and severe weight loss uhg.

He's holding a healthy weight and his coat is glossy [now he's over his seasonal itchies from outside grasses/weeds etc.], he's full of beans and happy. No obnoxious effluvians and his out put consists of lovely little barker's eggs :D

Edited by Noishe