"wet" Dog Food For Dogs

Leelaa17

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed raw egg all the time :)

You shouldn't the whites have a component in them that blocks biotin (a B group vitamin) absorption. In the longterm if fed often (daily)not a good thing for their coat, once a week would not hurt, or benefit either. Just partially cook the eggs until the clear white turns solid white, you can give raw yolks that's fine. :)

Edited by LizT

Guest Augustine Approved

There are conflicting views on raw egg feeding and like LizT said the concern relates to the biotin. I wish there was a definitive factual website that only displays proven scientific data. Even WebMD is wrong sometimes.

Here is an opposing view I found online.

"Raw eggs are bad for dogs

This myth is based on two premises. The first is that avidin, an enzyme found in egg whites, destroys biotin. While this is true, there is plenty of biotin in egg yolks to make up for the amount of avidin in the whites. The second premise is that there is the potential for dogs to be exposed to Salmonella if they eat raw eggs. This is a legitimate concern, but dogs are less susceptible to salmonellosis than humans. This is due, in part, to the fact that dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans. Raw or boiled eggs are actually an excellent source of highly digestible protein in canine diets."

The full article can be viewed at: http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/dog-food-analysis-ingredient-myths/

Guest donatella

I feed raw egg all the time :)

You shouldn't the whites have a component in them that blocks biotin (a B group vitamin) absorption. In the longterm if fed often (daily)not a good thing for their coat, once a week would not hurt, or benefit either. Just partially cook the eggs until the clear white turns solid white, you can give raw yolks that's fine. :)

That's what I was doing before frying it till the whites cooked and leaving the yolk runny. Now I'm confused :laugh:

There are conflicting views on raw egg feeding and like LizT said the concern relates to the biotin. I wish there was a definitive factual website that only displays proven scientific data. Even WebMD is wrong sometimes.

Here is an opposing view I found online.

"Raw eggs are bad for dogs

This myth is based on two premises. The first is that avidin, an enzyme found in egg whites, destroys biotin. While this is true, there is plenty of biotin in egg yolks to make up for the amount of avidin in the whites. The second premise is that there is the potential for dogs to be exposed to Salmonella if they eat raw eggs. This is a legitimate concern, but dogs are less susceptible to salmonellosis than humans. This is due, in part, to the fact that dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans. Raw or boiled eggs are actually an excellent source of highly digestible protein in canine diets."

The full article can be viewed at: http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/dog-food-analysis-ingredient-myths/

Interesting facts on that link, especially the one down the bottom about the claim that commercial food is unhealthy...not. :D :bolt:

Edited by poochmad

Guest Augustine Approved

lol poochmad I didn't read the whole article till you mentioned that. Good spotting! I just copied and pasted the link to one of many articles that discuss the biotin argument. I have no set stance on the egg debate until I see solid scientific evidence. To clarify, I was merely showing both sides and not implying that you were wrong or right. Like I said I wish there was a website that contained only solid proven scientific data on such things.

What I wrote in my original post in this thread about the processes and ingredients of commercial dog food is factual and cannot be denied. Some will see the ill effects more than others as the genetics and breed of some dogs handle processed food better than others. My great grandmother lived a very ill free life and passed away at 85. She wasn't a dog but the point is she did smoke every day of her life from when she was 16. Drawing a comparison, some dogs are on terrible diets and live till they are 17. There will always be exceptions due to genetics and breed.

I find the whole food debate mind boggling :laugh:

For years i fed Supercoat sensitive to my dally, after he had a blockage from stones.

He has to be fed a low purine diet.

I also own a bully, have owned several over the years, and they are prone to bad skin.

I found feeding Advance chicken and rice dry, and chicken wings and necks has worked for them all.

I do feed raw eggs most days too, might stop that one.

I am an average owner, and its so confusing, i need a food good for my Dally, good for my BT's skin, not going to break the bank, and not time consuming ( boiling veggies etc)

I was recently told by a vet not to feed raw wings and necks as they were full of salmonela, and i wouldn't eat raw chicken, so why give it to my dogs!

Now i am completly confused, and just want to do the right thing.

I just looked at the Vets All Natural, but its over $200 for a big bag then i have to buy mince ontop. :(

I just looked at the Vets All Natural, but its over $200 for a big bag then i have to buy mince ontop.

what the 15kg bag? Unless you have a kennel load of dogs the 5kg should suit fine. Saying that it shouldn't cost that much anyway, it should be about around the $160 if I'm not mistaken?

I had to feed some supercoat sensitive to my bitch after she got a great case of acidosis. Her coat has turned to absolute shite. It's dry and falling out, from glossy and deep tan colour to a washed out sandy too. Ugh can't wait for it to come back.

I was recently told by a vet not to feed raw wings and necks as they were full of salmonela, and i wouldn't eat raw chicken, so why give it to my dogs!

Find a new veterinarian. If they cannot comprehend the fact a CANID eats some form of raw meat then he needs to hit a few more books. DOgs are not humans, they are not cats, they are not ferrets. All species have different needs. We CAN eat raw meat actually. The fact our meats are so contaminated because of the way they're raised and cleaned is the issue - some cultures do eat raw/pink/rare chicken and no one dies a horrible death because it's super fresh. Did you happen to mention we also eat sushi?

Guest Augustine Approved

Nekhbet well said. juice find another vet. Sorry such bad advice is inexcusable.

I've heard that the average vet gets approx. 8 hours of nutritional training. Anyone care to confirm or deny?

I just looked at the Vets All Natural, but its over $200 for a big bag then i have to buy mince ontop. :(

Shouldn't cost that much! Unless you looked at the Skin variety.

It's $156 for 15kg at my local place, for the puppy variety. That's enough for 5 months supply for my two ACD's.

I just looked at the Vets All Natural, but its over $200 for a big bag then i have to buy mince ontop.

what the 15kg bag? Unless you have a kennel load of dogs the 5kg should suit fine. Saying that it shouldn't cost that much anyway, it should be about around the $160 if I'm not mistaken?

I had to feed some supercoat sensitive to my bitch after she got a great case of acidosis. Her coat has turned to absolute shite. It's dry and falling out, from glossy and deep tan colour to a washed out sandy too. Ugh can't wait for it to come back.

Find a new veterinarian. If they cannot comprehend the fact a CANID eats some form of raw meat then he needs to hit a few more books. DOgs are not humans, they are not cats, they are not ferrets. All species have different needs. We CAN eat raw meat actually. The fact our meats are so contaminated because of the way they're raised and cleaned is the issue - some cultures do eat raw/pink/rare chicken and no one dies a horrible death because it's super fresh. Did you happen to mention we also eat sushi?

:rofl:

I'm a sushi addict. Love it! :thumbsup:

As for canned dog food... :o I work at a pet retail outlet, and the things I've learned that are in commercially made foods... Lemme tell you, I wouldn't ever give it to my dogs. The closest they get to kibble is Nutro, and a 15kg bag lasts 4 dogs up to 9 months. :shrug: Carl was on a My Dog diet at the rescue I adopted him from/worked at, and his teeth were crap. When he arrived 7 months prior, they were white and clean. I've no doubt that feeding RAW is the best diet for my dogs. They're all healthy, beautiful coats and haven't been sick a day in their lives.

As Augustine said, some dogs could eat Pal and thrive, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily good for them long-term. :shrug:

He wasn't my vet, another from the practice, that i don't like, but had no choice, won't be using him again anyway.( another story!)

So you think 5kgs, would be ok for 3 big dogs?.

And then raw chicken mince, or necks ,wings?

It was the sensitive skin one i was looking at for my BT.

Edited by juice

He wasn't my vet, another from the practice, that i don't like, but had no choice, won't be using him again anyway.( another story!)

Imagine buying 5kg, then extending it with water to make around 10kg. Then each day it makes up around 30% of the dogs diet. I mix half roo with half chicken to make it cost effective too. Where I buy the meat chicken mince is a quarter of the price of roo.

Guest english.ivy

A dog that vomits back a big pile of raw food ten minutes after dinner is getting no nutrition from it at all.

Sometimes their stomach acids need to change the ph level, this happens with my dogs if I don't feed bones for awhile and then feed bones they will both vomit

No, this was after being fed raw for over two years. No break, no change in diet, just started to vomit it all back up again. I have since tried again, as a change from raw occasionally, same result. She can tolerate a chicken drumstick for breakfast, she can't tolerate a larger meal. But all is OK, she loves her kibble and she has the best coat she's ever had.

My two started doing this aswell. Fine for over a year and then the vomits. Kept feeding as I was on raw only but the vomits persisted. Now I feed a range, still plenty of raw but now they both eat and keep it down. Both have never looked so good.

I feed Natures Gift tin sometimes, normally when I'm out of other food and haven't got anything to fed them. Which is pretty uncommon but I keep NG in the pantry for a just in case. Though never any other brand of tin.

yeah I buy 10kg of 50/50 chicken and beef then a few kg's of RMBs and whatever is on special at the time. Goat, venison, rabbit if we hunt it. 5kg of VAN at a time is plenty for 3 dogs, plus have you seen the size of a 15kg box :laugh:

Be interesting to look into why dogs suddenly develop a problem with raw ... was it always the one protein source or did it even happen to dogs on mixed proteins? Ironically I have a dog that will vomit dry food undigested yet wont a raw diet.

Imagine buying 5kg, then extending it with water to make around 10kg. Then each day it makes up around 30% of the dogs diet. I mix half roo with half chicken to make it cost effective too. Where I buy the meat chicken mince is a quarter of the price of roo.

I do the same for my pup as he is eating over 600g of meat a day at this stage. However the vets all natural lasts my pup and big dog only a month thats a 5kg bag.

ETA that's wrong it will last them just under 3 weeks ....

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

Guest english.ivy

Be interesting to look into why dogs suddenly develop a problem with raw ... was it always the one protein source or did it even happen to dogs on mixed proteins? Ironically I have a dog that will vomit dry food undigested yet wont a raw diet.

With my Pointer it was raw chicken, from what I can remember. I never mixed proteins in one feeding but did try when he was puking the chicken. He eats lamb, goat, beef and roo with no issues.

He also gets the runs from raw chicken, but not chicken natures gift wet.

With my Pointer it was raw chicken, from what I can remember. I never mixed proteins in one feeding but did try when he was puking the chicken. He eats lamb, goat, beef and roo with no issues.

He also gets the runs from raw chicken, but not chicken natures gift wet.

Yup poor Mason cant eat chicken in any form, he can have it as a once off but more than that he gets upset tummy.

Cherry has had allergy problems her entire life. If we cut out anything with red meat, chicken (raw or cooked or otherwise) and keep her strictly on a fish based dried food she does really well. Anything else and she vomits constantly, breaks out in a terrible rash all over her body and bites herself raw until she bleeds. Very happy keeping her on dried food, her coat is lovely now and NO allergies!

Edited by huski

Cherry has had allergy problems her entire life. If we cut out anything with red meat, chicken (raw or cooked or otherwise) and keep her strictly on a fish based dried food she does really well. Anything else and she vomits constantly, breaks out in a terrible rash all over her body and bites herself raw until she bleeds. Very happy keeping her on dried food, her coat is lovely now and NO allergies!

Which dried food do you feed, Huski? Henschke gets rashes is sensitive as well, and even though the food we feed seems to be ok, I wouldn't mind finding a better food if possible.