"wet" Dog Food For Dogs

Leelaa17

I feed max and jenna supercoat for large dogs (dry food) but jenna is very picky about her food, and she will eventually eat her dry food... but she will gobble it down if we put dog roll in it - you know the rolls you cna get at the supermarket?

Anyway, dad buys a cheapo brand and I don't particularly like to feed the dogs cheapo dog roll.

I prefer to buy the "premium" dog roll - im pretty sure its called premium as well...

I was wondering, if this ok? I have heard that wet, or canned, food for dogs isn't good for them so i've never really fed them that but is dog roll the same? Or do I have everything wrong?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to buy Ecopet rolls for Benson as a backup and he loved them. They smell very tasty too. I buy my current lot some tins of Natures Gift and they get a dollop on their kibble as a treat and they love it.

I feed my dogs chum, not very good but it's all they will eat. I tried Kangaroo mince, VIP dog roll, premium dog roll. They turn their nose up at all of it. They do like dog mince though but I only buy that every so often.

They have about two spoon fulls at dinner time with their biscuits - which are premium.

I buy my current lot some tins of Natures Gift and they get a dollop on their kibble as a treat and they love it.

Mine get Nature's Gift tinned too on nights when there are no chicken frames or appropriate leftovers. It's the only canned food I'll give them.

For some reason dog rolls freak me out.

I buy my current lot some tins of Natures Gift and they get a dollop on their kibble as a treat and they love it.

Mine get Nature's Gift tinned too on nights when there are no chicken frames or appropriate leftovers. It's the only canned food I'll give them.

I seen on one forum somewhere that someone once found a plastic bag in their dog roll. :eek:

I use to feed Harley natures gift when he was a puppy, it use to give him the worst farts though. I stopped after once at puppy school he let one rip and everyone was mortified!

:laugh: I dunno, I think it's because it's so compressed :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: oh! thats gold. hahahahaha I've never heard that before. thank you for making me smile :)

I seen on one forum somewhere that someone once found a plastic bag in their dog roll. :eek:

I use to feed Harley natures gift when he was a puppy, it use to give him the worst farts though. I stopped after once at puppy school he let one rip and everyone was mortified!

:rofl: well my two only get bad fluffs when they've eaten meaty bones. i like to stay clear of them for a while after that!

I might try natures gift. it sounds like a good thing to just put a little on the dry food and hopefully that'll make jenna eat it!

I only use Nature's Gift on the smalls who have had most of their teeth removed, which is probably from their previous families feeding nothing but tin food and "crap" for most of their lives.

Dry food is Royal Canin.

A lot of the dogs that come to me will refuse and not eat anything, it has been 4 days in a few cases, I don't offer anything else but the dry, they eventually will eat and realise that if they don't eat they will get nothing else.

It may sound harsh to some, but having anything up to 15 "small" dogs at any given time I can'f afford to buy extra's, the Royal Canin is dear enough on it's own.

Maree

CPR

I like Natures Gift for tinned food! Like Gayle and weas said, it's a back up in the cupboard if there's nothing else. I generally feed Advance dry for everyone in the am and people mince (turkey, chicken, sometimes lamb) or tinned tuna, sometimes mixed with grated veg and cooked rice, for dinner. I find this easy coz I can feed it to the cats and dogs, and actually quite cheap.

BUT I like Natures Gift for tinned food as it pretty much has just what it says in it! Ie. Saxon is sensitive to beef but many prepared foods have beef products in all the flavours, even the chicken.

I also agree with keetamouse, they get what I decide to give them, if they're hungry they'll eat.

Edited by Saxonpup

I feed a dry diet 95% of the time. I feed 3 dogs Advance and am trialling 4 dogs on Supercoat Adult at present.

When one of mine had surgery last month she had to only eat tinned food for a few weeks after having a bone and some bowel removed so I used Optimum wet food and then changed to Supercoat tinned for her to then blend in to the dry mix.

To be honest I think sometimes people over analyse what they feed their dogs.

I understand breeding, showing and performance dogs need a good balance diet that supplies what they need for various things, BUT for a pet dog, really there are so many options to feed the dog and it will really be fine whatever the owner choses.

I figure there are so many dangers in dogs lives, and dog food is probably low on the scale of risk.

Feed what ever suits you and what your dog likes.

It can always be changed later if its not working.

I swapped to the supercoat Kangaroo casserole only because it has a picture of my dog on the label, otherwise any of the tinned food (other than PAL, Chum) were ok by me to feed her.

Had to laugh at your post - you don't want to feed a cheapo dog roll yet you feed supercoat dry!!

I would buy the tuckertime rolls.

What is wrong with Supercoat? My vet said it was fine to feed them. Is it just not as high end as science diet ect :confused:

There is nothing wrong with supercoat. I used to feed it to my lot, and they loved it, grew well and became champions!!! When i wanted to upgrade to something a bit more high market, with less fillers and more of the better ingredients it was a nightmare. I tried EVERYTHING. We went through thousands of dollars through every brand Pro Plan, Advance, Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc, etc, and they all went on hunger strikes at different stages, and licked the canned food off it, to the point that one of the boys lost 2 kgs. We now feed Black Hawk and they like it, but last week when we were running low we mixed it up with some Supercoat and they gobbled it up like it was a last supper.

I try and feed my dogs the highest premium dog food i can afford and at this time it's Black Hawk, and i will try everything i can to keep them on such a great food, but if my circumstances change, I will have to go back to the Supercoat. I dislike people being snobby about what other people feed thier dogs. 20 years ago there were no premium foods, and EVERYTHING had fillers such as soy, wheat, etc in them and breeders and owners had to had thier own substitues to them if they so pleased. Thier dogs survived. Although I believe a high premium food with all the benefits and fantastic ingredients Black Hawk includes in it is right for my dogs, and my situation it may not suit everyone and i will never look down or judge anyone for what they feed thier dogs. After all I know all of my dogs bluntly refused to eat some of the higher premium brands but would not get laughed at for trying them. Plus Supercoat does include a variety of additives that make it probably one of the better options for around $20 a bag.

To the OP, find the one that your dogs like, or even better love. I know I'm about to be laughed at, I feed my Black Hawk with a small amount of the No Name Canned Dog Food (I jokingly call it 'crap in a can' - if it's chicken flavoured, then its 'chicken crap in a can' etc etc) I use just enough to entice the dogs to finish eating all the dry food because I know that's were all the nutrients are. I have found no evidence of worse farts and after all before that I had tried human grade mince (expensive but good), roast chicken (too expensive to continue but the dogs loved it, but they would eat the chicken and then leave half the dry food) various roo and other pet minces (found small pieces of bones in a variety of brands, plus the dogs did as they did with the chicken) other canned foods (dogs turned thier noses up at, especially the puppies, who would eat one flavour for a couple of nights and then refused to eat) and then every dog roll that Coles, Pet Barn, etc sold and they would eat it only without the dry AGAIN, so when I tried the No Name varieties I was sceptical, but I found that it coated the dry food better than anything else (probably because of the gelatin) and made them eat more dry food than they did with anything else.

So, just try and find one your dogs like to eat. Supercoat does have additives to it (such as Vitamins, Omega 3, etc) so if you can get them to eat something that encourages them to eat thier dry food, good on you. Good Luck with it, and don't worry, each person's dogs are different and what other's enjoy other's may not!!!!

A few months ago I was chatting with a very successful breeder about what we feed our dogs and she feeds Pal, dry and tinned. Always has done, she said, and her dogs look fantastic.

When I used to subscribe to the Oz dog show email list, I was surprised by the amount of breeders who fed their dogs Woofbix, the Big W home brand kibble.

I think we can get very hung up on what our dogs eat, and lets face it.....much more than the dogs do! Mine aren't averse to digging up months old bones and have a gnaw on them. I used to feel guilty about having to stop feeding raw as one dog vomits it all back up about 15 minutes after she's eaten it, but the dogs don't care, they look better on Black Hawk kibble/Natures Gift tins than they ever did on raw chicken and lamb. And they enjoy it just as much.

My dogs normally get Royal Canin Adult Medium but i've run out so they get either Natures Gift or Supercoat Casserole. THey are the only two wet dog foods i buy and i only get the Supercoat because they have casserole's - and they seem to slow my dogs down HEAPS when eating.

THey get a handful of kibble chucked on top and yoghurt.

My previous dogs used to eat Supercoat dry... did just fine on it.

My current dogs eat Bonnie dry... and are doing just fine on it.

My foster pups get Bonnie Puppy dry... and they do fine on that too.

My current foster pup loves My Dog Puppy tinned - so she gets that also.

At the rescue I volunteer at, the dogs get Bonnie dry, and for those that don't eat it straight up, we mix a bit of Pedigree (PAL) tinned through the Bonnie.

T.