Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Raineth I used to carry a dressage whip, I just made a little elastic loop and put it on my walking belt. Easy enough to pull off but light enough and dangling by the side so it diesnt get in your way. It was Akso quite whippet I bet it would have hurt and I figured you coukd do some eye poking with it. I must say I never used it on a dog but it was bright yellow and when I swished it around owners Woukd come running to get their dogs. I copped some rude abuse about whipping their dogs but figured that was better then the alternative.

Snook, Awww that is so wonderful! You must be so elated!

It's wonderful that he has a new mate to play with. Sounds like the beginning of an excellent friendship :)

BC Crazy, it's lovely to hear again of Stella making massive progress at the Vets :thumbsup:

BCC that is absolutely brilliant news about the vet visit. A big triumph.

I had something similar with Dee. She has been wary of people since the 2009 fires, so was a bit unsure about visits to the dog osteo and vet. The usual tail down, ears back, head turned away, and partial slink. Well our last visit was amazing. She went first and had a few minor adjustments due to crazy play with Zeph. She stood tall and was confident. Very compliant with no muscle stiffness or resistance. However, when it was Zephs turn, she went up to Fiona, leaned against her, slid down, rolled on her back right against and got tummy rubs. Then she righted herself and bounded away.

My Eyore has turned into a Tigger :thumbsup:

Well done grumpette with Dee :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words :)

I decided to change Vets after almost 20 years. I just felt Stella wasn't getting the adequate attention she needs. He seemed scared of her her be honest

What a differemce a fresh switched on Vet can make. Stella had a head to top massage before a full physical check . All this done on the floor. No more horrible slippery table. No need for a muzzle either.Stella went very well.She was very nervous but she coped so much better with the whole visit. She amazed me. I was beaming with pride We were there almost 2 hours by the time Sonny had Accupuncture & his checkup plus massage.So it was a long visit as well.

So we are going to make this a pretty regular event as I feel Stella could really benefit from this experience on so many levels :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I think it's important for our speshul dogs to get out and have positive experiences. I'm sure it helps build confidence. That's why after dog training Jake and I have coffee and cake in the nearby rose gardens.

After I switched vets we have disappointingly few vet visits necessary, but I was also happy with how much more of a tailored to Jake approach I got and although it's a smaller reception area they don't take chances with him where I felt the first vets didn't really believe me and were an accident waiting to happen.

Well done Stella on adding a people to your circle.

Yes Snook, exactly :)

Stella is very perceptive & really smart. So with the old Vet being wary of her only made her even more frightened. IMHO.

Now with the new vet the whole energy of the place is light. Upbeat & friendly. Then we are ushered into consult room to all sit on rugs on the floor. No eye contact but very engaging.

So right from the start it was 100% inviting . I think Stella thought we were visiting very doggy loving friends really ;)

Edited by BC Crazy

OK bring Jakey along hankdog. He might like it too :)

Im still getting my head around it to be honest.It was all so simple but it worked very well. Stella actually got 2 massages because while Sonny was getting worked on, Stel was massaged again. So she really got a lot of attention. At first she was looking at the woman like what the hell do you think your doing & believe me she is an expert at throwing a dirty look. About 5 or so mins in & Stella was actually positioning herself on the womens lap so she could get her back done :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks SG ... It was really lovely to watch Stella warm up to the massage lady & the new Vet. She was really panicing at first but she handled it. So proud of my little girl considering it really takes very little for her to become unhinged .

Edited by BC Crazy

Stella's such an amazing girl. What great progress for you both. :)

I've been kind of half heatedly keeping an eye out for something to help focus me and Justice and keep us moving forward, as I'm very much struggling to get motivated to take him places where we can practice counter conditioning. I don't want to deal with any more incidents if someone lets their dog off leash or lets it drag them over to us so am in avoidance mode. I was hoping that having a program of sorts to follow might kick my butt in to gear, even if a lot of it ends up revisiting things we've done in the past. I just came across this DVD on reactivity by Emily Larlham, who I think is great. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it and what you thought?

https://dogmantics.com/?product=reactivity-a-program-for-rehabilitation

Oh I think I might get that one Snook. I just love Emily Larlham and could definitely use some kind of structure in our reactivity training. We seem to have got so far and stalled. Luka is much better than he was but I would like to do more. Thanks for posting the link :)

Great progress at the vets BC, another one here who would love to come to your vet. Luka is due his vaccinations on Sat morning. Not looking forward to it. My OH will be taking him because I think Luka will pick up on my anxiety (he took him last year, after I had done the groundwork - numerous visits to just sniff and get treats :) and he was great) but this year I haven't had time to do many social visits so am worried about how Luka will be and worried that OH won't pick up on Luka's signals if it starts to get too much for him. :(

I too really like Emily as well. love the look of that rehab thing Snook.

I also need some structure. I find it very easy to get into a training rut. Then I get bored & just play retrieve games or just have fun for a couple of hours :o I have great repore with my guys & they don't disobey me as a rule BUT we are behind in training. So I need a schedule or someone there to say, right lets do this, & I don't have to think or over think which I do a lot.

Thanks Snook & teekay for you support. Means lots :)

Just had to edit to add Stella saw her first herd of cows in the flesh on the w.end. we were in the country,camping. She went off barking it them & chasing them. They were on one side of an electric fence & she was on the other. She followed them up & down the fence line. I was very concerned at first as I thought Stel would be terrified & I certainly didn't want her going through the fence or getting injured. Much to my surprise...She loved it & was totally in her element. She came back to me every time I called too which was great. It was just like a light went off in her head, 'work' & that was it. She got quite cranky too at one cow as it was looking right at her. Her hackles went up & it mooed at her. The look on her face was like :eek: What the.... It was very funny. She did extremely well.

Looks like I might have to find somewhere we can go do some herding work. I have a little cow girl on my hands I think :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

I've been following this thread with interest as I've got quite a reactive Amstaff.

I'm finally in the position to be able to afford a behaviorist and was wondering if anyone knew of a good one in Brisbane/gold coast sort of area.

Oh Snook huge hugs coming your's and Justice's way. It is absolutely bullshit that others cannot keep their bloody dogs contained. And when their dogs are causing trouble, and you and your dog are in obvious distress, they are so bloody slow to intervene. Or worse they say "just let them sort it out, my dog needs to learn a lesson" :mad :mad

Were you able to arrive home relaxed and calm or did you go straight home? I am trying very hard now to ensure that we end all walks on a calm positive note. After our last aggressive dog encounter on Tuesday (yep three incidents, with two contained and one not) I deliberately extended our walk until we had both calmed down and neither of us was hyper vigilant anymore. We then did a bit of fun trick training on the walk home.

When we went for our walk yesterday Dee was a lot less vigilant when walking past the same spots and more interested in going on the extended part of our walk that we went on the day before. So finishing on the positive seemed to negate some of the negative from the action of the day before. Mind you our walk took twice as long. Two hours to walk the dogs. At least it was nice and sunny.

I hope that you and Justice are feeling a lot calmer and have enjoyed a nice dinner. :)

Edited by grumpette