Puppy Rescued In Melbourne

A friend emailed me today, and forwarded another email from her sister-in-law.

Last night when heading home, I saw a young man dragging a little puppy along the ground at Southern Cross station by its lead. It had collapsed, had a bleeding foot and appeared totally exhausted and utterly terrified. The man proceeded to drag it up the metal steps on the escalators and refused to let anyone carry it up or help it in anyway, claiming it was his to do whatever he wanted to it.

Many people were outraged and eventually a couple offered to buy the puppy from the man. The upshot was that he ended up selling the puppy and a young girl took it to her local vet for medical attention. The puppy is going to be taken to the RSPCA tomorrow in the hope of finding it a new, hopefully much happier home. The vet has advised that the puppy is a little girl, approximately 12 weeks old. She will grow to be a medium-sized dog.

If you or anyone you know might be interested in rescuing this little puppy, please let me know on [redacted – I can supply on request]. She is currently still with the family of the young girl but is going to be taken to either the RSPCA in Burwood or Mitcham tomorrow unless a new home is found for her before then. Please forward this email to anyone you think may be able to help.

What useful advise can I give?

post-25114-0-43345500-1326248571_thumb.jpg

post-25114-0-90605700-1326248578_thumb.jpg

Edited by LoremIpsum

Guest lavendergirl

What a sickening story :mad The police should have been called to deal with this mongrel. Hope she finds a home poor little pup - glad there were some kind people around to rescue her.

Having dealt with RSPCA in regards to a cruelty case the best thing to do is to complete a statement of details about the incident..

RSPCA will attend to all medical needs of the animal and their investigators will usually follow up within the week.

The ONLY way to have the person prosecuted is to surrender to RSPCA and let their vets make a report.

If the current treating vet can also make a report that too would help prosecute..

Have done the same to a person who refused to have a broken leg repaired at vet surgery. This person was then prosecuted.. Person who alerts RSPCA does not get disclosed.

p.s. there may be security camera vision available from railway station if acted on quickly.

Edited by garnali

I have an update on this. Just got an email from the woman who witness the incident:

I've now been advised that there is someone who is going to visit the puppy tonight and is almost 100% sure she'll take her. My husband has lodged a statement with the police and I believe they're going to use the CCTV footage to follow up.

I have an update on this. Just got an email from the woman who witness the incident:

I've now been advised that there is someone who is going to visit the puppy tonight and is almost 100% sure she'll take her. My husband has lodged a statement with the police and I believe they're going to use the CCTV footage to follow up.

That's great news, good luck to the puppy and her new family. Here's hoping the CCTV footage will help the police find this person. Might be a little hard if he is not known to them though.

Great news. I hope the man is tracked down and charged. Although with our cruelty laws, chances are not much will happen.

Having dealt with RSPCA in regards to a cruelty case the best thing to do is to complete a statement of details about the incident..

RSPCA will attend to all medical needs of the animal and their investigators will usually follow up within the week.

The ONLY way to have the person prosecuted is to surrender to RSPCA and let their vets make a report.

If the current treating vet can also make a report that too would help prosecute..

Have done the same to a person who refused to have a broken leg repaired at vet surgery. This person was then prosecuted.. Person who alerts RSPCA does not get disclosed.

p.s. there may be security camera vision available from railway station if acted on quickly.

I've refused surgery for a leg break before - I treated it myself, and the dog was fine without the "necessary" surgery the vet was advocating. Vets aren't always right.

Fair cop if the bone was shattered into a few pieces though - my dog's was a small fracture near her growth plate and was treatable with R&R and physio once it had healed.

T.

The pup had broken hind leg..(visible)

No pain meds and we were unable to xray as owner would not stay...

Many people do not know how to treat a fracture and I would not advocate self treatment unless they have the necessary experience & pain relief for an animal.. (My opinion)

I cant elaborate details as was a court case recently.

Was merely trying to help advise 'HOW' RSPCA can help them.

Great news. I got an email today:

Just to let you know a loving new home has been found for the puppy. It had its first night there last night and has settled in well. It now is likely to have more than a decade of happy times ahead.

Please can you let people you passed the earlier email onto know as well.

Have to admit I teared up at work. I'm so glad the traumatised pup managed to bypass the shelter and go straight to a loving home. Thanks be to the powers of social networking.

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't fathom why anyone would be so cruel to a defenseless puppy. There are so many sick people around. It makes me sick :mad :mad

A question I have often asked myself why certain individuals can be so cruel to defenseless animals? It makes me mad when I read stories like this and if I was a witness to such an act I think the guy would have ended with a black eye or worse.

So happy that the puppy has found a good home and now will have a good life :)