Silver Pugs - Are They Get-able?

Douglas Hodge

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you google Silver Fawn Pug and click images there is not one Silver fawn pic on those pages....apart from the little silver statue ones. Silver is a shade of Fawn as is Apricot...but in our Pugs of today the Silver has been lost...you would not be able to find a current breeder that can say they have bred or seen a true Silver fawn.

If you google Silver Fawn Pug and click images there is not one Silver fawn pic on those pages....apart from the little silver statue ones. Silver is a shade of Fawn as is Apricot...but in our Pugs of today the Silver has been lost...you would not be able to find a current breeder that can say they have bred or seen a true Silver fawn.

Shazza, everything that I come up with in the way of pics for the "silvers" is just dirty, smutty fawns. Is that what you are seeing too ?

The smutty fawn ones are smutty fawn - they have black ticks through their coat - the silvers have no black ticking.

This is not a silver pug post-199-0-48403300-1326575202_thumb.jpg

and this is not a silver pug post-199-0-14317700-1326575242_thumb.jpg

This is a silver pug .

post-199-0-98370900-1326575290_thumb.jpg

And the UK kennel club breed standard - quote - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=6164

Colour

Silver,apricot, fawn or black. Each clearly defined, to make contrast complete betweencolour,

The brindle argument is different as the brindle gene isn't one which is naturally occurring in the pug as its a dominant pattern gene.

The blue and the silver are a result of dilute recessive and can and do occur without introducing new genes.So far here they haven't been commonly selected for here - some are now.

I personally don't like the colour! But am interested to read more bout it, I don't know if I'd like to become a big thing here in aust we have enough backyard breeders n issues without adding a rare colour to the mix !!!

I agree....I can see the adds for rare colours now.....and the $$$$ signs in the eyes of the greedy.

yep here it comes.

spotted this on a puppy website.

agree with the owner of the site. definately required reading.

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a

number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad,"

you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My house training took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together.

I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that

life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only

got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come

home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I

waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad

decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and

obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement.

I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried

that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to

love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked

fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially

their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your

car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me

from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the

subject. I had gone from being your dog to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not

allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of

hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and

gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my

dog!" And I worried for him and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and

responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely

refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no

attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my

appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had

changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who

might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to

their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate

room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart

pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of

days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I

know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I

used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and

the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could

you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dog speak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was

her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to friend

for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place.

With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant

for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

If you are not crying now you can not have one of our pups! Never take one of our pups to a shelter or rescue!

Bring them back to us, we will care for them and find them new homes... They are our babies and we will never

abandon them!

Shazza, everything that I come up with in the way of pics for the "silvers" is just dirty, smutty fawns. Is that what you are seeing too ?

Yes, as in the first pic Steve has posted above but the origin of that pic is from the USA which is what they call Silver.

I have a photo of a silver pug. James Trullinger wrote, "It was great to have met you and to see your dog who is the only true silver I know of anywhere!" This was in a letter to his owners in March 1978.

he is nothing like what are described as "silver" or "silver/gray" on those websites

Also I will quote from an article about Grace Lord "Tangwah" by Harry Spira.

""What about colour? i enquired. Colour can be a bit of a problem, came back the answer, but usually it is a self inflicted one. Trouble is that the majority of present day breeders appear to be obsessed with the production of clear apricot dogs. Everyone wants them-at the expense of the silver fawns, which so many, including you judges,mistankenly take for smutties"

Yet this breeder would most definately be branded unethical n puppy farmer here anyway.

http://whitedobermanpuppies.com/index.html

They accept Paypal for their pups and bred nine litters in 2011. Never mind that they bred dogs outside the breed standard and only seem to breed for sale, not for improving the breed.

I'd consider that puppy farming (of the worst kind) and posting a sappy (copied) story onto your website does not make you ethical.

Edited to add..

Also, the "award" on their website for being an ethical breeder.. you get that award by filling in the form here.. http://www.trainpetdog.com/breeder-form.php

Please fill in the form below as and you will win the award:

You can even select to be an awarded ethical breeder of mixed breeds :rolleyes:

Edited by Hardy's Angel

This breeder is apparently breeding legitimate silver pugs in the US my US friends tell me.

http://www.silverpug.cc/

Its an interesting read, although not overly detailed, and also talks of blue pugs.

sad how shabbily both she and her dogs have been treated... how disgusting to remove the colour from the standard especially since it had been there 100 years.

but then it is pretty typical of the fanitics that seem to think they and their dogs are more special than others.

n as she notes has reduced the gene pool in the process.

sad how shabbily both she and her dogs have been treated... how disgusting to remove the colour from the standard especially since it had been there 100 years.

but then it is pretty typical of the fanitics that seem to think they and their dogs are more special than others.

n as she notes has reduced the gene pool in the process.

I don't understand, where was the part about her being treated badly. And also she makes the distinction that she has silver/grays. Silver was never removed fron the standard and "silver/gray" was never part of the standard.