Old Dog Peeing Inside

moosepup

Zoe will be 13 in April and has recently started peeing inside on occasion. She's done it a couple of times now, usually in the laundry which is where the dog door is so it seems her intention is to go outside. She otherwise seems well in herself but does have an 'off' day every couple of months. Not drinking excessively that I've noticed and still eating fine. 

I'm fairly sure it isn't Moose (his wees are smellier  :o ). I'm taking her to the vet on Saturday to get checked but any ideas?

Thanks Sheridan, I'm beginning to think that's what it is (age). Vet has asked me to bring a pee sample so I'm going to attempt that in the morning. :eek: :laugh:

She also has this strange behavior where she will just be lying or sitting on the floor and then will jump up and scamper like something has bit her on the bum. A few seconds later she will act like nothing happened. :confused:

Edited by moosepup

Guess when age starts to catch up, things start to wear out, I know I have to get there quicker now days :laugh:

Yes so true :) My old RidgyX started to do the odd dribble when he was about 15.Bless him he used to be so embarrassed as he was such a well housetrained boy with the bladder of a camel.

Thanks Sheridan, I'm beginning to think that's what it is (age). Vet has asked me to bring a pee sample so I'm going to attempt that in the morning. :eek: :laugh:

She also has this strange behavior where she will just be lying or sitting on the floor and then will jump up and scamper like something has bit her on the bum. A few seconds later she will act like nothing happened. :confused:

That actually sounds more UTI or slight incontinence.

I could be wrong though.

Do you do yearly blood profiles? One of mine started weeing on the beds (not while asleep) and it can be related to the liver - that's a long shot so don't freak out or anything. :laugh: It's just nice to run full bloods every so often and get a full picture IYKWIM. :)

Yup, she had geriatric bloods done last year when she had her teeth done and that was all good but definitely wouldn't hurt to do them again, thanks SnT. :)

I'm trying to source a suitable 'catch tray' for the pee sample from around the house. :laugh: The VN suggested a meat tray (washed thoroughly of course) but I don't have one.

Grumpy always gets terribly embarrassed about doing a poo in the house. I arrived home one hot afternoon when I left them inside to find one just inside the front door (thanks kids! was going to put my foot right there!). Both Grumpy and Mini had a 'Wasn't me' furtiveness about them but it wouldn't have been the Mini one.

Nawww poor fella. Moose has peed inside on occasion when they've accidentally been locked inside. I can tell its him because of the ears back and lack of eye contact. :laugh:

He's following me around like a little orphan at the moment cos Zoe is at the groomer. I've got Zoe's pee sample all ready for the vet (that was a fun experience!) so hopefully it goes well. :crossfingers:

Vet gave her the (nearly) all clear. :shrug:

No infection in the wee. She said it was a bit dilute but it has been really hot lately so she would be drinking more. She also doesn't think it's incontinence because she doesn't leak, nor does she pee in her sleep. The o ly thing she did say is that her vision would be quite poor (cataracts) but this isn't something I've really noticed. She gets around fine and gives you eye contact. I guess it is just a case of age and needing to pee more and she's just not making it outside.

She is booked in to have her teeth done on Friday so will have a full blood screen then but otherwise she's all good. Bloody dogs.

Here's my old duck :) (and the pest :D )

79a6c8af.jpg

Edited by moosepup

• 4 months later...

Bumping this topic because guess who just did an enormous wee in the house?! Right in front of me and on Mini's lounge room bed. He seems very confused by it, poor love. He's gone outside now which, as I said to him, is very barn door horse bolted.

Guest lavendergirl

Ha ha - is it raining? I have to practically carry my little guy outside from his crate to get him to pee when it is raining. Otherwise I know I will be greeted by a floor puddle when I come back from the shower - and he is only 3 :D

My pup has taken to peeing in the lounge room (where the heater is) when it's cold outside. She will look at me as she pees on the rug, even though she's toilet trained and has no issues going in the right spot any other time. It's only when the lounge room is nice and warm will she not go elsewhere :banghead:

My pup has taken to peeing in the lounge room (where the heater is) when it's cold outside. She will look at me as she pees on the rug, even though she's toilet trained and has no issues going in the right spot any other time. It's only when the lounge room is nice and warm will she not go elsewhere :banghead:

this is when you need to take her outside and stay outside until she goes. Every year my girl and I have the same argument about going outside when the weather turns cold. I always win. But there is no way she would wee in the house unless desperate. I don't like my dogs to get desperate so take them out at regular intervals. Then we can all relax.

..and this is also why a pup/dog learning what "toilet"/"quick"/"do wee" means they should do is invaluable ..it earns them praise/treats, and enables both owner and pup/dog to be out in the weather in as short a time as necessary ..

Often here at night there are several dogs, and two cats all busy toileting before bed ..all respond to the cues/command ..and it makes life much more relaxed :)