Is This Normal Healing? Update! All Has Healed And Is Normal

Lhok

Some animals will react to "synthetic" material as it isn't something the animal's body is used to being in contact with

Lumps (unless abcess) are generally classified as a clean surgery so some vets wont prescribe Antibiotics, although I've noticed more and more vets prescribing them over the last few years or so.

Hope it heals nicely for you now :)

Good news....although some of those sutures may still burst, or start oozing. Keep clean....esp in what looks like a skin fold?

To keep the area clean should I just use water? I was in a bit of a haze that I didn't ask the vet and they didn't mention anything about it.

--Lhok

My bitch reacted in a similar way after a caesar - the vet said it was to do with the material used to stitch her and they took the stitches out early

My male poodle was the same when he was neutered, had a bad reaction to the actual stitches they used and we ended up having them taken out almost a full week early. Poor boy, and here I was telling him off for trying to lick it when it must have been so uncomfortable.

Good news....although some of those sutures may still burst, or start oozing. Keep clean....esp in what looks like a skin fold?

To keep the area clean should I just use water? I was in a bit of a haze that I didn't ask the vet and they didn't mention anything about it.

--Lhok

just use saline boil your kettle ads a heap of salt then put it in the fridge to cool . I'd bath every hour on the first day then every couple of hours the next for a couple of days

Also pat them dry

Edited by wantsapuppy

--Lhok

Good old warm tap water is fine. If you want to make up saline you can use that. But I just grab a handful of swabs or cotton wool & bathe with plain warm water (am slack - can't be bothered making up solution :laugh: ).....If anyone in your family uses contact lenses.....its the same sort of solution to flush wounds. You can also buy small amps of saline in chemist....if you want to.

But it is already a dirty area so water is fine.

If there is any discharge oozing or crusty or soggy scabs forming, wash/bathe them away a few times a day. Don't be too precious about dabbing at the sutures, you can be quite firm with cleaning......thats the idea to keep it clean.

Lots of treats for your patient :D

Good luck.

I agree about using saline water and not being too worried about touching the stitches. Abby's pups were very rough on them after her section!! (Needless to say after her desexing she was very happy to wake up with no tiny tots attached lmao)

Keep clean with saline or warm water. Also be absolutely sure that the wound is NOT being licked - the appearance in the photo is quite suggestive that this has been going on, so I would also suggest an elizabethan collar. The sutures looking tight is probably secondary to swelling of the skin, not necessarily that they have been too tight when placed. If we're now on antibiotics, you don't need to apply anything to the wound, just keep it clean.

Keep clean with saline or warm water. Also be absolutely sure that the wound is NOT being licked - the appearance in the photo is quite suggestive that this has been going on, so I would also suggest an elizabethan collar. The sutures looking tight is probably secondary to swelling of the skin, not necessarily that they have been too tight when placed. If we're now on antibiotics, you don't need to apply anything to the wound, just keep it clean.

Cool, I have washed the area with saline today and it isn't looking as angry as in the photo it is still tender to touch and the swelling has gone down a bit more. I also should note that she has had a Elizabethan collar on since the op so not sure if she has licked the wound or if she has I have no idea how to stop her if the collar can't. Thanks for the advice :)

--Lhok

Thanks guys :)

Yup so glad everything has settled although she was fussy when she went to get the stitches out so the nurse started giving her treats.. Well after the last stitch was out we realised she had eaten half a containers worth. After that discovery we then told her no more treats to which she then started to put on the whole sookie la la "but I'm hurtie" routine :laugh:

Yup she is has lab in her alright :)

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok