What Hots And What's Not

Leema

A few days is nothing -. They may have their hands fl with pups, kids and work. Also remember if you send an email from a gmail account etc it could lNd up in their spam folder - this happened to me.

I didn't even think about it going into junk mail :(

Donatella I too have seen that breeders say in ads to email first; so unless it says preferred contact phone I just email as you never know the right time to phone someone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smish, email them again, they may have forgotten to reply in detail or misplaced your email - it happens, especially when you have a house of noisy pups distracting your concentration.

Last night I spent over an hour replying to emails, tonight there are another 10 or so to reply to. The pups are now nearly 8 weeks old and taking up more of my time as well as puting puppy packs together, working and thrying to fit in time for my adult dogs and a life for me!

HOT:

* Person uses phrases like 'member of the family', 'inside dog', or 'like my children'.

Can I ask why you consider an inside dog as a huge plus? My 2 dogs are outside only dogs and are still VERY well loved; as much (if not more so) as inside dogs.

Unless the family lives outside (which is the case sometimes), the dog is always going to get more attention when living inside. For puppies, I want their new family to put a lot of time into them and I don't think 'backyards' are the way to raise a dog. When I have about 15+ enquiries for every one puppy that I breed, I will exercise my right to be picky.

For rescue dogs, 'it depends' on the dog's individual characteristics and preferences. For a dog that I know has lived inside most of its life, then I'll try to find it a home that does the same. I think, of all my rescues, only one sleeps outside (but is inside when they're home). Also, dogs with no hair/little hair would need warm, preferably inside, places to sleep.

Also, can this thread please stay on topic? There are heaps of threads already talking about breeders who have poor customer relations. We don't need another one. I already know it's not hot for breeders to be rude.

Edited by Leema

smish, email them again, they may have forgotten to reply in detail or misplaced your email - it happens, especially when you have a house of noisy pups distracting your concentration.

Last night I spent over an hour replying to emails, tonight there are another 10 or so to reply to. The pups are now nearly 8 weeks old and taking up more of my time as well as puting puppy packs together, working and thrying to fit in time for my adult dogs and a life for me!

Already on it :) just sent a nice email acknowledging that I got the email and look forward to hearing from the breeder soon..

Also, can this thread please stay on topic? There are heaps of threads already talking about breeders who have poor customer relations. We don't need another one. I already know it's not hot for breeders to be rude.

Leema that was. Never my intentions I just merely responded to a prior remark made in this topic as I said impatient me.

What's hot :

people who are willing to go out of their comfort zone to visit eg a long drive away, after hours on a weekday, at short notice

people who have patience to wait for a pup

people who don't mind getting down to floor level to play with the litter

people who listen to you and are able to understand the importance of a long term committment

What's not :

people who come to you on a recommendation from a friend but you instinctively feel wary of

people who will not not travel a long distance andwill buy the puppy sight unseen

people who expect a guaranteed world class winner or top brood bitch

people who don't display an active nature, who look for a chair as soon as they arrive

people who ask for a discounted puppy or one without papers or one you "want to get rid of"

people who want to get into your breed but can't tell you why

I have sold pups to people that don't fit the mold eg full time workers, very young families, elderly people and these owners have in many ways been better owners than classic ones that tick all the boxes at the start, because they have a good history of owning dogs and understand and provide for the needs of their dogs as part of their routine.

Sadly, people's circumstances sometimes change and we can't predict the future. I'd go on my instinct and experience is something that just comes with time. Personally I would never sell a puppy to someone unless they collect it after a good introduction and I would never be influenced by the fact that I know them or of them before they ask for a puppy.

This is so interesting! Based on some of the answers I would never have got Luci. I called up a breeder asked about the litter of pups that was advertised. One in particular was of interest, I liked the bio /photo and I wanted to know more about the lineage as it was so like my dog of 18yrs that I had just lost. I then took the information & looked at the lineage for health & such...I also enquired at the time about price. I did mention Id had poodles for about most of my life. I was not going to be able to get this puppy personally from another state & so freight was another enquiry. That was five years ago. Boy did I tick alot of the not boxes.

biiig turn off is when people call up work and say "have you got any puppies in stock?.."

A breeder friend had someone last week ask if she had any puppies in stock and if not when would she be getting some in. :confused:

If they're not breeders or farmers or bloodstock people, and most people are not,

then 'stock' is a word I'd imagine is quite logical to use.

Notwithstanding, that the best con artists are the ones that use the words they know you want to hear.

In any case, I don't really care how someone expresses themselves.

I'm interested in the person and what they are trying to say.

Edited by lilli

biiig turn off is when people call up work and say "have you got any puppies in stock?.."

A breeder friend had someone last week ask if she had any puppies in stock and if not when would she be getting some in. :confused:

If they're not breeders or farmers or bloodstock people, and most people are not,

then 'stock' is a word I'd imagine is quite logical to use.

Notwithstanding, that the best con artists are the ones that use the words they know you want to hear.

In any case, I don't really care how someone expresses themselves.

I'm interested in the person and what they are trying to say.

On a side note, questions that pique my curiosity are:

How many times has the mother had puppies?

Will you be keeping any?

How many litters do you have each year?

non-breeder unrelated stuff that's very much oh here we go ... Little Earnest's been reading from the PC manual :laugh:

And the "why do you breed" question

with my dogs is really funny, because by the time I've finished explaining (well since they asked) I know they have less idea than when they first started and are probably quite bamboozled with all the detail. Why do you breed is not a question. It's a day long conversation! At least :D