? Never Use 'down' Only 'drop' ?

Guest RosieFT

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use down. My dog has her Novice obedience title.

Edit: I don't use "drop" at all. Yet one day another trainer told my dog to "drop" and she did :rofl: Goes to show the command doesn't really mean anything.

Edited by wuffles

I had an obedience trainer who loved to talk way too much and who told us to give the command "drop" as the judge in a trial will say "down your dog" and you don't want the dog to drop on the examiners command but on yours - (drop). The requests from the judge are different from what you would tell the dog. They say 'forward' while person says 'heel' They say call your dog, the person says 'come'. they say 'leave your dog' the person says 'stay'.

I think there are exceptions.

I didn't get past grade 3 cos me and my dog got bored to tears with endless standing around each week whilst being told lots of stuff. We didn't do enough actual work. So my information is only from what this instructor said, and not from my own experience - but it makes a bit of sense.

When I instructed I used to ask people to use "drop", and that was because I would ask the handler to "down the dog" and so it was better for the handler to use a word I didn't use.

If this instructor encourages his clients to compete for ANKC obedience titles (a good thing), he will be teaching methods that are not incompatible should they wish to trial the dog in the future.

I am only a beginning trialler but I can't see my dog ever responding to a command said by the judge rather than me. The only time I've ever seen a dog do this is for "exercise finished" ;) I guess it could be an issue for some people but I use "down" with no issues in the trial ring.

Edited by wuffles

I've never used 'drop' for anything, with Bella 'lie down' means lie down and 'off' is for dropping things, getting off furniture etc. I can certainly understand why it might be easier to use 'drop' especially if that is what is required for trialling, but I can't imagine myself using it, saying 'lie down' comes more naturally because that's what the dog is doing.

I had an obedience trainer who loved to talk way too much and who told us to give the command "drop" as the judge in a trial will say "down your dog" and you don't want the dog to drop on the examiners command but on yours - (drop). The requests from the judge are different from what you would tell the dog. They say 'forward' while person says 'heel' They say call your dog, the person says 'come'. they say 'leave your dog' the person says 'stay'.

I didn't get past grade 3 cos me and my dog got bored to tears with endless standing around each week whilst being told lots of stuff. We didn't do enough actual work. So my information is only from what this instructor said, and not from my own experience - but it makes a bit of sense.

sounds like the obedience place i go to, it's probably the same one!

i'm starting to get over it :rolleyes:

I've never had any issue with my dog following the judges (or whoever is calling a ring run out if we're just at training) commands instead of mine.

If it was an actual issue, what happens if your dog is distracted by the ring set up next to yours and follows the commands of the person trialling in the ring next to yours? Or if you are in a class and your dog follows the commands give by the dozen or so other people in the class when they give their dogs a command? I've never had it become an issue in the trial ring or training. Besides, if my dog followed a command given to anyone but me when we are working together I'd consider that a flaw in our training. I think that's something we proof for anyway as I teach her to ignore people offering her food when we're working and encourage them to yell out her release word as we're heeling past i.e. have them calling out "Daisy here's some food! Want a treat? OK OK OK!" (ok is the word I use to release my dog to her reward) as well as other distraction exercises.

Edited by huski

We got bored in traditional obedience classes too (I think many dogs and owners do!)... not sure why some instructors are determined to suck any fun out of training your dog!

Edited by huski

What a strange idea. I have to use down for lying because I use stop on my sheepdog and drop and stop sound too similar.

This. We also use give (give us a toy, bone anything they have that I want to see) and off (off furniture, feet off a person)

We got bored in traditional obedience classes too (I think many dogs and owners do!)... not sure why some instructors are determined to suck any fun out of training your dog!

i think so too! probably the reason why i never see a lot of them ever again :laugh:

i've thought about dropping out at times too, it really isn't fun doing the same repetitive excercise over and over again for 45 minutes when you've got a puppy with a short attention span and the trainer demands to keep going without stopping.

In Victorian Dog Obedience Trialling "drop" is the ONLY acceptable command for getting a dog to lie down - maybe your Professional is originally from Victoria

Really? I've never heard that before, I thought any command as long as it's in English is acceptable in the trial ring as per ANKC rules (and even that is at the discretion of the judge).

OK - I haven't trialled for a while but, I was always taught that "drop" was the only acceptable command in Victoria - different states have different rules

ANKC rules are Australia wide. You can say "apple" to mean down and the judge can't penalise you. As long as your word is ONE word and in English (or another language pre-approved by the judge) then you can use whatever.

I am only a beginning trialler but I can't see my dog ever responding to a command said by the judge rather than me. The only time I've ever seen a dog do this is for "exercise finished" ;) I guess it could be an issue for some people but I use "down" with no issues in the trial ring.

:laugh: It can happen, wuffles :laugh: Try setting your dog up for example for the distance control and get someone to stand with you and say all your commands to try and catch them out :laugh:

My dogs know both down and drop. My word of choice is drop, but sometimes I say down when training with others who use that word laugh.gif My dogs don't care!

Edited by RubyStar

i think so too! probably the reason why i never see a lot of them ever again :laugh:

i've thought about dropping out at times too, it really isn't fun doing the same repetitive excercise over and over again for 45 minutes when you've got a puppy with a short attention span and the trainer demands to keep going without stopping.

I made my dog slug away at traditional style obedience classes for almost two years and all it did was make her hate training. Training her in 45 minute slogs where we were walking up and down the paddock the whole time correcting her every five seconds was like fighting with her the whole time. Training your dog should be fun and you should both get joy out of it, IMO, don't do it if neither of you are enjoying it! :)

If you're interested in obedience trialling, at some point you just have to take the plunge and go out and train on your own (or with a friend) ;) 5 minutes of fun fast-paced training and then put the dog away for a break. 45 minutes of solid anything isn't enjoyable for anyone.

:laugh: It can happen, wuffles :laugh: Try setting your dog up for example for the distance control and get someone to stand with you and say all your commands to try and catch them out :laugh:

When someone yells 'down' or 'sit' to their dog across the yard at herding Weez will comply too.

Even worse than that, if someone is calling their own dog at the park or beach he will rush up to them then plonk his butt down to wait for his treat :rofl:

I guess he'll never be an obedience dog!

Edited by Weasels

When someone yells 'down' or 'sit' to their dog across the yard at herding Weez will comply too.

Even worse than that, if someone is calling their own dog at the park or beach he will rush up to them then plonk his butt down to wait for his treat :rofl:

I guess he'll never be an obedience dog!

LOL Weasels!

Teaching them to ignore people with treats is actually the easy part IMO!

I use down for obedience and off for getting off stuff and give for giving me things.

The word has no bearing it is how you train it.

My kids or husband can tell my dogs to do something and they act like they have never learnt a thing. I say one word and they listen. I have the power of the cuz ball and food!