Puppy Proofing My Home...

ellazpupz

Hello hello, we are getting new pup in a few weeks (mini poodle) and want to be well prepared for her arrival. I'm hoping for some help from all you pro's out there... In regards to puppy proofing a home. I think I have the basics, kids toys away, cords hidden etc

But what in your experience is a piece of advice you can give that you wish someone had given you, when bringing home a 12week old pup.

It's been a long time between dogs at our house, so any advice will be great!

Ta :D

Get a crate or a small pen you can set up inside.

No matter how well you puppy proof everything, there will always be something the little darlings will get into. Keeps puppy and your belongings safe at times when you're not able to supervise.

My advice is the first thing I teach all new puppies, before sit, drop, come etc is to be comfortable and confident in their own company. This starts within the first 5 minutes of arriving home. Of course they do not learn this immediately, but I commence teaching it immediately.

Puppy's dependance on people or other dogs is much harder to "unteach" than it is to teach initially... and they will never "not love you enough" as time goes on anyway.

Enjoy your new puppy. :)

Edited by dyzney

Ensure the puppy is OK with being left alone for periods of time, start teaching basic manners, learn to shut doors/baby gate off rooms that you don't want the puppy to have access to. If you don't want it chewed, make sure its out of reach of the puppy (my OH learnt this the hard way with his week old brand new mobile phone being chewed because it was within reach).

SUPERVISE your pup, keep it happy and occupied with you and what you are doing ... (not sitting cuddling it all day, but playing/training , getting to know each other) ..get pup very used to being alone and not bored ..ie: from the first hours you have pup home ..ensure it has time alone in pen/crate /room /yard .Feed it in a set spot .. have bed somewhere safe , etc ...

Two words I wish someone had told me all those years ago - baby gates!

post-37151-0-31569600-1327019051_thumb.jpg

I thought this was a great idea too until my pup learnt she could fit through the gate! So I covered it up and then she learnt to climb it!! This was a toy poodle at 4 months of age; very intelligent dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Train your children to always check where the puppy is before opening any doors to outside & to close doors after them when they go out or you may not have to puppy proof your home for long. Start the training asap because children take longer to train than dogs :laugh:

The two things tha jump straight into my mind are...

-pup getting used to time on it's own

-have lots of things that pup can chew so that you have easy items to redirect on to if it starts chewing something it's not supposed to

There's heaps but I think other than worrying about how pup can get in to trouble (and avoiding it!!), the other thing I think I would place as a very high priority is ensuring that you do lots of good bonding type activities.

Most of all, just enjoy!!!

Two words I wish someone had told me all those years ago - baby gates!

Second and third that! And tiled floors :-)

we have tiled floored, yes I think they will be great for a new puppy :D

Train your children to always check where the puppy is before opening any doors to outside & to close doors after them when they go out or you may not have to puppy proof your home for long. Start the training asap because children take longer to train than dogs :laugh:

So true, Christina! We have already got a lot of rules written for the kids to remember. Being boys they will definitely need reminding :)

The two things tha jump straight into my mind are...

-pup getting used to time on it's own

-have lots of things that pup can chew so that you have easy items to redirect on to if it starts chewing something it's not supposed to

There's heaps but I think other than worrying about how pup can get in to trouble (and avoiding it!!), the other thing I think I would place as a very high priority is ensuring that you do lots of good bonding type activities.

Most of all, just enjoy!!!

any chew toys you can recommend? I have some nillabones, but definitely need more!

The backyard is usually the biggest issue.

Check for toxic plants,no snail bait etc etc

Outside toxic plants hey? Thank you, not something I thought about. Might have to do a search about this topic, great advice, thanks show dog :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone... Much appreciated :thumbsup:

any chew toys you can recommend? I have some nillabones, but definitely need more!

My pup's favourite chew toys are the non-bone shaped ones. She prefers flat things she can chew on, or soft/squeaky toys (which she shreds and uses as chew toys lol)

She's also big on munching rope toys.

But get a variety of toys and see which ones she gravitates towards, then stock up on those ones!