I Feel Like I' M Being Manipulated ......

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find your signature interesting - I've always pronounced the name Mah REM ah & now I know the correct pronunciation

Hi

Well, if you are ever talking to Italians and you get them repeat the word 'Maremma' you will quite clearly hear the correct pronunciation.

Regards

I've always been under the impression that it is pronounced "Mar-ee-mah" but changed my tune after I was told off by a 10yr old girl who owns one :laugh: Good to know I can go back to my original pronunciation.

Every researcher and farmer involved with LGD's I've ever met has pronounced it Mar-emma. I've been to seminar series where they were the sole topic and never heard any other way of saying it.

Mar-emma is an acceptable Australian pronounciation. Chosing to use a foreign inflection is of course fine too. As is 'that fluffy dog over there' :shrug:

Okay, you are getting a puppy from a breeder. Later, when the dog is older, and if the dog is bred from by the breeder, you'd like one of those puppies. Is that the situation?

Gosh I hope that wasn't the plan. That is not a good enough reason to leave a family dog entire??!!

I'm confused now. Did you mean you wanted a puppy from the dog (litter he has sired) that you are buying when he was 5/6 years old OR

Did you mean you wanted to buy another puppy from the breeder, related to your dog, as a second pet, when he was 5/6 years old?

Perhaps the breeder is confused too.

Find your signature interesting - I've always pronounced the name Mah REM ah & now I know the correct pronunciation

Hi

Well, if you are ever talking to Italians and you get them repeat the word 'Maremma' you will quite clearly hear the correct pronunciation.

Regards

I've always been under the impression that it is pronounced "Mar-ee-mah" but changed my tune after I was told off by a 10yr old girl who owns one :laugh: Good to know I can go back to my original pronunciation.

Every researcher and farmer involved with LGD's I've ever met has pronounced it Mar-emma. I've been to seminar series where they were the sole topic and never heard any other way of saying it.

Mar-emma is an acceptable Australian pronounciation. Chosing to use a foreign inflection is of course fine too. As is 'that fluffy dog over there' :shrug:

According to Maremma Sheep Dog Club of America the word Maremma is an American word pronounced Mare-emma also taken from the Italian name for the breed.

HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE THE NAME?

Maremma is an American version of the Italian name "Maremmano-Abruzzese". It is pronounced: 'Mare' as it is pronounced for a female horse, and 'Emma' as it is pronounced for a girl's name.

http://maremmaclub.com/faq.html

Every google for "maremma pronunciation" I have done says the same thing.

Anyway sorry to go OT.

Hi

Regards

I am Italian and I say it Mar emma - this Italian agrees http://www.howjsay.c...a&submit=Submit and so does the American Maremma Club >http://maremmaclub.com/faq.html

Too hard for me to change now after 20 years in the breed so regardless of how they may say it in one region Ill stick with Mar - emma.

Edited by Steve

I think i understand what the OP is saying.When some people lose a beloved pet they wish they could replace it with a copy, as in another pup from the original.As the OP stated

""Continue his line in our family "and "regretted not doing this with our last dog ".

I recently had a conversation with a lady who was asking for help to find a cat to "Replace the one that had just died."Not any cat ,it had to look exactly the same as the one in the picture of her old cat.Of coarse you can't''' replace"a pet as they are all different individuals.

I would suggest the OP desex her pup and later on get another from the same lines perhaps the offspring of one of his litter mates if that comes to be.

Okay, you are getting a puppy from a breeder. Later, when the dog is older, and if the dog is bred from by the breeder, you'd like one of those puppies. Is that the situation?

Gosh I hope that wasn't the plan. That is not a good enough reason to leave a family dog entire??!!

I'm confused now. Did you mean you wanted a puppy from the dog (litter he has sired) that you are buying when he was 5/6 years old OR

Did you mean you wanted to buy another puppy from the breeder, related to your dog, as a second pet, when he was 5/6 years old?

I realise there's a certain divide between pro and anti desexing proponents but unless there are laws in place that say otherwise, it's really up to individual owners if their dog is entire or not.

years ago a friend bought a Husky .As he grew the Breeder noted he was a good looking dog.She asked the owners if she could borrow him back to show him;and she did.He did well at the shows and went on to sire some litters .He was not co owned as he was originally to be a pet only.Could the OP not do this and get a pup from him this way if her pup turns out to be worthy.? The Breeder could have given more advise and explained all other options to the OP.

Sheridan You are quite right it is up to the owner if they desex thier dog or not..

Edited by Purdie

I realise there's a certain divide between pro and anti desexing proponents but unless there are laws in place that say otherwise, it's really up to individual owners if their dog is entire or not.

Yes, this is true but what are the chances of a dog remaining entire for 5/6 years and even having a clue about mating sucessfully at that one effort at that late stage?? This is what would happen if he wasn't to be used by the orginal breeder and just kept "to sire one litter" for the OP.

years ago a friend bought a Husky .As he grew the Breeder noted he was a good looking dog.She asked the owners if she could borrow him back to show him;and she did.He did well at the shows and went on to sire some litters .He was not co owned as he was originally to be a pet only.Could the OP not do this and get a pup from him this way if her pup turns out to be worthy.? The Breeder could have given more advise and explained all other options to the OP.

Sheridan You are quite right it is up to the owner if they desex thier dog or not..

Yes, it would be possible to lease your MR dog back to the breeder to use for a litter, without becoming a registered Breeder yourself. Co-ownership not being necessary. However, I don't think co-ownership was in question in this scenario, was it?

Can people please be a little bit nicer when attempting to educate new forum members, tearing people to shreds and being condescending doesn't help.

You beat me to it.

There are some appalling comments on this thread. :mad :mad

Yes, sadly some kneejerk reactions to raw nerves. Understandable....but not to a newb poster. :o

Yes, it would be possible to lease your MR dog back to the breeder to use for a litter, without becoming a registered Breeder yourself. Co-ownership not being necessary. However, I don't think co-ownership was in question in this scenario, was it?

I don't know about other states but in NSW the stud dog owner just needs to be a financial member but doesn't have to have a breeders prefix.

ETA I no longer have a breeders prefix but my dog, who is in my name, has sired registered litters.

Edited by Janba

I don't know about other states but in NSW the stud dog owner just needs to be a financial member but doesn't have to have a breeders prefix.

ETA I no longer have a breeders prefix but my dog, who is in my name, has sired registered litters.

It could well be the same situation with males here too, I only own bitches so am governed by the "breeders rules". Not sure how much of it applies to the Stud Dog.

I'm confused.

OP I own a SBT and I negotiated with the breeder to leave him entire til over a year old. If she choose to mate him it was up to her and we would further negotiate from there but if not then he would be desexed. At no time did/have I consider him as a sire to my next pup, I would never look at a dog in that way.

Having an entire dog be prepared to be accosted by the uninformed general public that think you have a great dog and want to mate it with their abcde dog. We've had our boy for over 6 months and have been asked that many times I've lost count and now just walk away.

By what I can gather the breeder is offering you to pay less for a dog that could do well in shows and potentially be bred from. They will show him for you and take care of the mating. You say you want the breeder to be in control and therefore this is what they are offering you, their level of control. Whether you take it is up to you.

Yes, this is true but what are the chances of a dog remaining entire for 5/6 years and even having a clue about mating sucessfully at that one effort at that late stage?? This is what would happen if he wasn't to be used by the orginal breeder and just kept "to sire one litter" for the OP.

I thought your objection was leaving a family pet undesexed but it's actually that you're concerned the dog won't know how to have sex?

I thought your objection was leaving a family pet undesexed but it's actually that you're concerned the dog won't know how to have sex?

I know it sounds silly but if he isn't used for 5/6 years he could have "issues". Some young studs need "help and guidence" until they become experienced. Or, he could be "a natural'. ;) But it also leaves him open to health issues like testicular cancer.

I know it sounds silly but if he isn't used for 5/6 years he could have "issues". Some young studs need "help and guidence" until they become experienced. Or, he could be "a natural'. ;) But it also leaves him open to health issues like testicular cancer.

Isn't this what studmasters are for?

And on the cancer front, it isn't just family pets who get it, so I'm not sure what the difference is between a breeder's stud dog and a family dog. Both undesexed, both open to testicular cancer, no?