Bordem Busters.

Atanquin

Hey guys just need some toy ideas for zorro while im at work.

At the moment I give him a pigs ear to chew and 2 toys to play with ( I change them around), but I don't want to give him a pigs ear every time. I have tried kongs with different stuffings but he give up on those apprently it is just to hard, also been giving him chicken flavored ice cubes but they go quickly. He likes destroying things like ripping up cardboard, and I make sure there is nothing in the yard he can chew that is dangerous. And I know he dosen't ay with his toys when I'm out Andy my OH is in and out of the house all day ( self employed ) and apprently he just sleeps by the gate all day till I get home.

OH will throw the ball for him for about 1/2 hr while he is having lunch and making phone calls.

But I would like to get or make him some toys he really love to play with when I'm not there?

Edited by Atanquin

Hey guys just need some toy ideas for zorro while im at work.

At the moment I give him a pigs ear to chew and 2 toys to play with ( I change them around), but I don't want to give him a pigs ear every time. I have tried kongs with different stuffings but he give up on those apprently it is just to hard, also been giving him chicken flavored ice cubes but they go quickly. He likes destroying things like ripping up cardboard, and I make sure there is nothing in the yard he can chew that is dangerous. And I know he dosen't ay with his toys when I'm out Andy my OH is in and out of the house all day ( self employed ) and apprently he just sleeps by the gate all day till I get home.

OH will throw the ball for him for about 1/2 hr while he is having lunch and making phone calls.

But I would like to get or make him some toys he really love to play with when I'm not there?

I have this problem with Kongs and like toys because getting Kibble out is to difficult Gus will give up sooo, i put peanut butter on the small end of the kong and freeze it then i boil some chicken and make a chicken stock, wait till it cools, , then get your chicken stock pour it into the kong (make sure its in a sandwich bag or something so if it leaks the bag catches it, seal the other end with more peanut butter, tie the bag up very tight throw it back in the freezer, the next day you have an all day licking adventure.... Gus likes it bit of effort but its all i got atm hahaha.

A sandpit ..with smelly treats and a toy buried ?

a soccer ball ... our pups all love it ..they roll it around , and chase it ..and wrestle it .. (leather ones are better in case they chew )

those balls which make weird noises as they roll are irresistible ... the cackling noise annoying, but irresistible to curious pups !

I like the sand pitt idea he likes digging at the beach so he might like that.

Yep he has balls and lot of toys and plays with them when I'm home but just not when I'm out.

I have seen those blue shells for sale at BigW but where would I get sand

When my dog spent more time by himself, I would stuff cardboard boxes with newspaper and a few treats and seal them with masking tape. I mostly used them to distract him as I was leaving, but if your OH is in and out he could parcel them out from time to time. A bit messy in terms of clean up but he likes ripping them up.

A coke bottle (without the sticker around it) with some water in it. Keeps our dog entertained for a couple of hours at least

Bottles dont work for us, Jager can get the cap off in about 5 mins and then the cap is much more entertaining than the bottle. And I am terrified that he will choke on one.

is he bored? Or is he just content to sleep while you're out Atanquin?

Do you feed him breakfast before you leave? If you do, that could be why he isn't interested in Kongs and other food toys.

my old dog used to love it when I tied an apple from the awning with a rope. I cored the apple and thread the rope through and he would have fun trying to grab it as it moves around.

I found initially my boy had no interest in kongs but then i started mixing it up a bit. I put tuna, sardines or other smelly fish in them and my dogs go NUTS for them now. I began with it loosely packed in so every time the tongue went in he got the food out easily. Now i freeze them with all sorts of goodies in them and they spend ages licking and biting and dropping them trying to get the goodies out.

Another idea is to buy a good quality wet food and put that in the kong. Again i started with it straight from the can and then froze it.

yoghurt is another good trick as well as cream cheese (although not too much as some get upset tummys)

treat balls are another good toy. My guys spend hours rolling theirs around waiting for the surprise treat to pop out of them :)

Bottles are also a big hit here although my guys now manage to chew through them and break little pieces off so they are strictly an inside monitored toy now for us.

Toilet rolls, cardboard boxes, even teddies (minus any plastic eyes/noses etc that can be choked on) with a small hole in them that the dog can pull stuffing out of in small pieces can also be a hit but the clean up can also be a bit tiresome hehe.

What a fantatsic topic! I used to hide treats in Bear's sandpit until he started vomiting sand, silly dog was eating through the sand to get to the food instead of digging :confused: I also have a plastic shell filled with water which he spends hours playing/laying in the water, plus it helps to keep him cool

My dogs LOVE their wobbler kongs, as they get better at them you put bigger treats in them so they have to work harder at getting them out.

It's funny how differently my dogs use them, Stimpy uses her feet only to wobble it, Frog uses her feet and her nose and Chevy only uses his nose, it's like he is on a mission and he keeps it rolling continuously in circles and squiggles and just hoovers up whatever falls out.

My husky doesn't play with her kong neither just gives up and leaves it. Currently the hit is the Good Cuz dog toy she loves balls and the fact it squeaks appeals even more. During summer I also keep an ice-cream container fill it with water and put some mince patties or treats or advance wet food or a bone in it freeze it up them take it out of the container and she will just lay there licking it all day and then also keep occuppied with what comes out after it has melted. If I don't do these things she gets bored and digs :(

Edited by krystal&coco

You can get bagged sandpit sand from Bunnings.

This is what we use in our clam shells. The dogs love to dig in them and lie in them to stay cool in the afternoon as they are shaded by the water tank.

Partially thawed meaty bones are brilliant on hot days. They need to be partially thawed so that the dogs wet tongues do not stick to the bone when they start eating them.

If your dog loves food, hide a portion of their daily meal around the backyard and tell them to "find". You may have to direct them to sniff on the ground at first, but once they realise that sniffing around when told to "find" means food they will amuse themselves for a while, and then sleep because they have had to use their brains. This is more tiring than chasing balls.