Labrador Owners/breeders Please Help

Sooky

Hi Everyone,

We are keen to add another dog to our family in about a years time when Rebus will be 2. We have owned a lab before and she was the best dog ever she was perfect in every way (to us anyway) we know we could never replace her and I think that is why we have not looked into getting a lab before now, but we are now ready to start the search for our new family member.

I thought I would start searching for a breeder now as I am struggling to find one that breeds the type of lab I am looking for!! As much as we know we can't replace our previous dog in personality we would like our new dog to be the same looks wise(if that makes sense) so to start with female and black (thats the easy part!), now for shape - I find there is quite a difference in the look of some labs ie the majority of labs I see and that people seem to have are of the more stocky solid look (show type?!!)and then there are the slimer/leaner looking lab (working type?!!) which is what our girl was pics attached. Is the difference down to whether they are show type or working type? Our girl had a lot of Field trial CH in her breeding with both parents being working dogs.

If any of you are breeders of this type of lab or owners of this type of lab who could recommend a breeder I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Jo

Our gorgeous girl Bracken

CIMG0236.jpg

CIMG0233.jpg

CIMG0194.jpg

CIMG0084.jpg

CIMG0082.jpg

I should maybe also mention when we had Bracken we lived in Scotland.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recommend you look for Labs that are titled in retrieving, perhaps contact the Retrieving club in your state to see if they can recommend a breeder who works their dogs.

Good advice thanks.

Thanks for the comments everyone she was gorgeous brings a tear to my eye everytime I look at her still miss her so much.

You'd have no trouble finding the lankier Lab build with narrower head if you were in the US.

Australia has relatively few people who use Labs to hunt, and most breeders go for show conformation.

I don't know them personally, but I think Kadnook Labs in Victoria would be a good breeder to start with. They are more into functional Labs than show Labs.

see, eg

http://203.89.193.82/kadnook/Pages/Page_Frames/history_page_frame.htm

You'd have no trouble finding the lankier Lab build with narrower head if you were in the US.

Australia has relatively few people who use Labs to hunt, and most breeders go for show conformation.

I don't know them personally, but I think Kadnook Labs in Victoria would be a good breeder to start with. They are more into functional Labs than show Labs.

see, eg

Its funny you should mention that, when i was at training school last friday our trainer was going through all the different breeds of dogs we have and one bloke had a black lab :) When he was asked why they got a lab the guy said cos they are a cuddly family dog. Trainer then said ok cool, do you go hunting ect and guy had a completely blank look on his face and was like ahh nooo. Trainer then seemed miffed, as if to say why get a hunting breed when u don't hunt. He has gun dogs and does sports with his so i guess he thinks dogs should still do what they were bred for? I do agree to some extent, but then we would have chaos lol Too many labs hunting and the sheep would never rest with all the GSDs haha

Edited by german_shep_fan

see, eg

Its funny you should mention that, when i was at training school last friday our trainer was going through all the different breeds of dogs we have and one bloke had a black lab :) When he was asked why they got a lab the guy said cos they are a cuddly family dog. Trainer then said ok cool, do you go hunting ect and guy had a completely blank look on his face and was like ahh nooo. Trainer then seemed miffed, as if to say why get a hunting breed when u don't hunt. He has gun dogs and does sports with his so i guess he thinks dogs should still do what they were bred for? I do agree to some extent, but then we would have chaos lol Too many labs hunting and the sheep would never rest with all the GSDs haha

That's a little bit difficult when your breed was used to hunt bears :laugh:

see, eg

That's a little bit difficult when your breed was used to hunt bears :laugh:

:laugh: I think your beautiful boy can go find those bears all on his own :laugh:

Edited by german_shep_fan

see, eg

Thanks for the link will have a look. If we we're still in Scotland we'd have no trouble either not sure I could justify the cost of shipping one from there or the US though!!

It's interesting, a few years ago a Lab person posted two pictures of the same dog.

One was of the dog in "Show condition" the other was the same animal when doing "field" work.

You would swear they were two different Labradors.

It's interesting, a few years ago a Lab person posted two pictures of the same dog.

One was of the dog in "Show condition" the other was the same animal when doing "field" work.

So they bulk them up when they show but then have them lean to hunt?

So they bulk them up when they show but then have them lean to hunt?

Prety much the case with this particular dog. He was sleek but well covered in the Show Ring and was a "lean mean trialing machine" when doing field work. :laugh:

You definitely had a working type Labrador there. Have a look at my bitch and see if you see a resemblance, she is American lines.

The Labrador lines you are after are not Australian. Look for British, Irish or American field lines in the pedigree and you will get a dog that looks like your Bracken.

If you would like to PM me I can give you some breeders contacts who have these lines. I know of a litter with an American sire (black) put to an Australian bitch (yellow), that should be available in about a month's time

DSC015701.jpg