Labrador Owners/breeders Please Help

Sooky

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bear in mind though that if you get a working line looks you'll most probably get a working line temperament too - so you'll need to put in a lot of training and exercise.

This is not necessarily the case. My girl is from a breeder that does agility and fly ball with her dogs. When we are not practising or at training, she is alseep at my feet. When I want her to work she will work, but she is certainly not a high energy dog. Maybe i am just lucky :)

Doggylovers, from what I have seen you will get more of these line from Victoria breeders.

You definitely had a working type Labrador there. Have a look at my bitch and see if you see a resemblance, she is American lines.

The Labrador lines you are after are not Australian. Look for British, Irish or American field lines in the pedigree and you will get a dog that looks like your Bracken.

If you would like to PM me I can give you some breeders contacts who have these lines. I know of a litter with an American sire (black) put to an Australian bitch (yellow), that should be available in about a month's time

Ooooh, I had cuddles with these pups yesterday! Must be one and the same ;)

Bear in mind though that if you get a working line looks you'll most probably get a working line temperament too - so you'll need to put in a lot of training and exercise.

Not necessarily. Many Master Hunters are relaxed, laid back dogs-- until someone pulls out a gun. And you can find show labs who are manic even into adulthood.

Edited by sandgrubber

Thanks for the link will have a look. If we we're still in Scotland we'd have no trouble either not sure I could justify the cost of shipping one from there or the US though!!

Ah, my question is answered. I thought by the look of your gorgeous girl that she could have been bred in the UK. The shipping crate in the background of one of the photos was a bit of a giveaway also :laugh:

There is a consistency of type within the UK working bred Lab (not bred for high end field trials, just picking up) that you don't find here. I have three UK import family dogs that board here and they all could be related to your girl. You'll have to spend some time searching the internet for the type that you like. It is not consistently bred by any particular breeder. UK show bred imports aren't what you want; neither US show bred nor working bred are what you want, UK working bred MAY get you the type that you want.

BTW, Labrador Retrievers are NOT hunting dogs - they are, as the name implies, retrieving dogs :D

Just a plug here - if anyone wants to see 300 Australian Labrador Retrievers, be in Melbourne the weekend of May 19 and 20 this year for the Labrador National. Also on May 21 the judge, Richard Edwards, will be giving a seminar on the Labrador. He is judging at Crufts in March, the Potomac in April and our National in May - as he said "I reckon that puts me in a position to make comparisons between the three countries indeed to have a pretty good idea of the state of the breed across three continents in 2012."

http://www.labradornational2012.org/

Sylvia

Edited by zenchel

Thanks for the link will have a look. If we we're still in Scotland we'd have no trouble either not sure I could justify the cost of shipping one from there or the US though!!

Ah, my question is answered. I thought by the look of your gorgeous girl that she could have been bred in the UK. The shipping crate in the background of one of the photos was a bit of a giveaway also :laugh:

There is a consistency of type within the UK working bred Lab (not bred for high end field trials, just picking up) that you don't find here. I have three UK import family dogs that board here and they all could be related to your girl. You'll have to spend some time searching the internet for the type that you like. It is not consistently bred by any particular breeder. UK show bred imports aren't what you want; neither US show bred nor working bred are what you want, UK working bred MAY get you the type that you want.

BTW, Labrador Retrievers are NOT hunting dogs - they are, as the name implies, retrieving dogs :D

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia sounds like I'm going to struggle to find what I am looking for :( I have emailed a few breeders that people have suggested and will see what happens fingers crossed I find what I am looking for :)

I consider Bracken very good looking, alas not the "norm" in Australia.

As you will note, an example being Dogzonline labrador puppy sales, most are from show and pet stock.

Pet buyers desire their pets to look like the average dog, not a "field" bred labrador.

Good luck.

I'm loving seeing all the working line labs :love:

My girl is from guide dog lines and has a taller, leaner look to her than many labs. I think a lot of working dog associations/groups eg. Guide dogs, customs, assistance dogs etc produce lighter leaner labs if its just the look you're after.

I think temperament is also an important consideration as in my experience, working labs in australia tend to be much higher energy and higher drive dogs than some working types you see in the UK. Most Working type labs in Aus and the US are bred for field trials, where some of the working types in the UK are more all rounders and used only for occasional, weekend or recreational work and tend to be a little more laid back.

This is my black girl, Mindy

post-31284-0-94879500-1327488251_thumb.jpgpost-31284-0-47156600-1327488418_thumb.jpg