Advice Re Pug Rescue

Hi everyone. I am a small time (registered) pug breeder with 5 lovelly pug children, and a few human ones. I have fostered in the past with a great organisation but since moving to the central coast from sydney was not quite so useful to them. I am increasingly interested in pug rescue. Not only do i of course love the breed, but feel i would be better placed to help this breed, with my knowledge of the breed and existing pack- pugs know pugs.

I would love to start a pug rescue group, and with gods help, perhaps broaden it. However, it would certainly be simpler to help and existing group. Whilst doing my research on quarantine areas, 16d's and etc I am hoping for any advice anyone with experience in rescue organisations has- I am also wondering if there is an existant pug rescue group in nsw- all research i have done indicates that previous groups have not been active for a couple of years.

I was very impressed with the amount of goodwill and energy towards rescue on this site, and would love your opinions,

Thanks in advance,

Eve

currently there are a few rescue orgs on the central coast, two have 16(d)'s and the others dont... the 16(d) holders are coastal paws rescue (they very rarely have pugs) and Dog Rescue Newcastle... HAR does also help out coastie dogs wherever possible and I think they may even have a few carers on the coast?? might be work contacting sue at DRN as your starting point, I have seen a few pug types on their FB page...

Oh hello! I didn't know you had joined DOL too. :laugh:

You'll find DOL a wonderful source of information as well. My advice though is to steer clear of the politics on here. You'll soon understand this staement if you don't already. :)

I haven't checked my emails as yet, but will later.

I know that Deb from Just Like home Pet Resort on the Central Coast did a few pug rescues last year. She maybe able to point you in the right direction.

She is a DOL member but i cant remember her user name. :confused: Sorry.

Thanks, I'll see if she gets in touch - & try to look her up.

I know that Deb from Just Like home Pet Resort on the Central Coast did a few pug rescues last year. She maybe able to point you in the right direction.

She is a DOL member but i cant remember her user name. :confused: Sorry.

Hi Guys...

Yep I help out with a few rescues...Pugs are my thing and Cockers but we have 2 bischons coming into the resort till they find their forever home next week...(we have gotten a little quieter here thank goodness).....christmas mayhem is almost over.......so it opens up a foster spot for desexed vaccinated surrenders as we can only help after quarantine period (we dont foster straight from the pound for obvious reasons)

I am happy to help with any rescues that need it.....

Looking forward to chatting with this lady.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Oh by the way I do get here almost every evening but I dont comment much...:o)

Something to be aware of as you also breed, is that dogs can bring parvo and other nasties in to your home.

If you choose to foster for Denise at PAWS she is AMAZING and often travels to the Central Coast too.

My apologies, I'd missed the bit about you saying you were a breeder. I run a breed rescue with a breeder and she cannot take any dogs fresh from a pound because Clyde is right, it can compromise your own dogs. I think you'd need to either set up a rescue with foster carers where you yourself didn't have to take the dogs (this is very hard) unless they were quarantined, quarantine them (fees involved) or foster for an organisation that does. That said, not everyone will place dogs with undesexed dogs unless they can be kept separate so there are a few issues to think about.

Thankyou everyone, I see quarantine will be an issue. It was one I faced before when I was doing a little foster caring for Denise, and had to give it a rest when I had litters on the way. Big nasties aside, kennel cough was a frequent issue. I also felt the little terriers didn't blend well with my pugs and could be offered better foster families as my pug family increased. So I will be looking to set up a quarantine area on my property hopefully, as well as discussing possible temp care in no dog homes .

I have found a great course to help me learn more. {PAWS wasn't doing many pugs when I paused fostering so I will get back in touch with Denise.) Syd travel isn't too hard, just not so great for the potential new family.

Thanks to Deb, we've had a chat and I think next time i get a holiday (!?) she will have some puggy visitors.

I will also look up fetching dogs.

Thanks everyone for your help,

I can take pugs immediately if required but will post when I am set up. Step one for me now is the mdba rescue course, and getting back in touch with the wonderful paws.I will also look into the recently published book by Schmoo.