Pet Mince

Hi everyone I went to another butcher today and got 2 bags of there pet mince to try, I'm not sure it looks good but it looks to be fatty. 1 bag is chicken mince at $2 a kg and the other bag is cow cheek also known as ox cheek at $3:50 a kg. I also took a picture of the $2 a kg chicken mince next to a $1 a kg chicken mince from a different butcher. Please let me know what you think. If not I plan on going back to feeding human grade mince.

The ox cheek mince

2827920850107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

2294723770107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

Chicken mince

2197206670107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

2270322900107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

other mince from a different butcher the $1 a kg bag

2158974570107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

The $2 a kg bag and the $1 a kg bag

2341858160107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

Out of the $2 a kg bag and the $1 a kg bag which one looks better? I know pictures can be difficult. The $1 a kg bag is a brownish colour where the $2 bag is fairly pink in colour.

yes the cheaper one is alot darker. I'd ask the butcher what they actually put in their minces. Get a feel for the butcher...is he dog savvy? Does he have his own dogs? Does he look shifty like he's putting any old crap in his pet mince to make money?

The mince on the right looks exactly the same as what I buy and feed all my dogs and cats.

I wouldn't touch anything that is too cheap, especially fatty chicken mince, because once a dog has pancreatitis, he might not survive. I would buy roo mince from the pet shop, or the cheapest Aldi mince (human grade).

Why are you even feeding mince? If they have weight issues you are just wasting your money and its not even beneficial for them. You can see all the chunks of fat and there's no effort required to chew it.

Buy some raw meaty bones at least you can see whats in it, get some with the least fat content and its fresher than what the butcher chucks in the mincer for pets.

Guest lavendergirl

I wouldn't feed any of those - they all look too fatty. I would stick to human grade - the "heart smart" or lower fat types such as kangaroo.

It certainly looks fatty. Personaly I wouldn't feed it to my lot as they don't need extra fat. I used to feed raw and a cheaper kibble and any meat I used was always human grade for the dogs but also for my piece of mind so I knew exactly what they were getting.

I'm a bit confused hun, I thought you weren't going back to pet mince because your dogs were putting on too much weight from it. The mince in your pictures sure look pretty fatty... but that tends to be what you get with pet mince.

Are the dogs still on the high fat kibble or did you find something lighter?

You had some good input and suggestions in your other thread .. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/232823-have-some-questions/page__p__5685306__fromsearch__1#entry5685306...

might be worth giving it another quick read. From what you've written previously, I don't think pet mince is the way to go for your crew, Missy might be okay, but the others didn't do well on it and gained too much weight. I know the price seems good, but in the long run it doesn't seem the best choice for your dogs.

Depends a lot on the dog. None of mine have issues with fatty meat but some dogs have pancrease (sp!) issues which means they must have lean. If this was the case chicken carcases mince wouldn't be the best bet because most of the time it's made from the carcases with the fat left on.

My understanding is that dogs don't have the same issues with saturated animal fat that humans have. Fat from a healthy animal is an excellant source of nutrients for a carnivore.

Weight control is a matter of reducing the food intake - feed the dog less food!

If you need to reduce a dogs weight feed it's food in the "whole-est" form possible, lumps of meat rather than minced for example, to make it work for it's food and the longer it takes to eat it the more it will think it's had to eat ;)

I wouldn't feed any of those - they all look too fatty. I would stick to human grade - the "heart smart" or lower fat types such as kangaroo.

Why? Unless you have an obese dog or a dog with pancreatic issues they need fat in their diet.

Does anybody have a copy of Peidje Vidler's border collie book? I can't find my copy :( , but I think it has a diet recipe for dogs, with meat, vegetables etc set in gelatin. It might be possible to feed the mince in small quantities by adapting this recipe. Feeding mince in a slurry with water when reducing portion sizes also helps the dog to feel satiated at the end of the meal.

I must admit, however, that I tend to buy meat/chicken portions or meaty bones rather than mince, because I have found that some butchers dispose of old meat by selling it as mince, using preservatives to make it look and smell fresher. (I had a dog with preservative sensitivity, and I found it almost impossible to get preservative-free pet mince.) I believe it is illegal (at least in NSW) to put preservatives in mince for human consumption, but it does still happen, as evidenced by packages of mince that are nicely pink on the outside but brown inside.

I think beef shin bones (but never lamb or mutton shin bones!) are good value for dogs... lots of chewing with relatively few calories. However, keep them on a hard surface when they are chewing these bones, as grit on the bones can wear their teeth.

Guest lavendergirl

Why? Unless you have an obese dog or a dog with pancreatic issues they need fat in their diet.

I am aware of that - I thought the OP did have an obese dog?