What Is A Healthy Expected Weight Gain

alyjam

I got our male bm pup a few days ago. We took him to the vet for a check up, vaccination, microchip and worming. And the vet nurse seemed quiet shocked that at 7 weeks he tipped the scales at 7 kilos or 15lbs. He is absolutely adorable and big. Really he's all feet ( they take up most of my palm ) he is a beautiful fawn colouring with a darker line along his spine and the typical dark face and the cute wrinkles. He an absolute sook and likes to cuddle that close its like hes trying to burrow into your skin. Were currently working on house training which hes dealing quiet well with and the sit command. He sits straight away and lifts his big foot up. For a bm what is a typical healthy monthly weight gain? Ive read elsewhere about 10lb is the norm. Our BM is being fed advance puppy for large breeds and we have some science diet i think its called for puppys too which a add a little water to to soften the biccies up a little

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got our male bm pup a few days ago. We took him to the vet for a check up, vaccination, microchip and worming. And the vet nurse seemed quiet shocked that at 7 weeks he tipped the scales at 7 kilos or 15lbs. He is absolutely adorable and big. Really he's all feet ( they take up most of my palm ) he is a beautiful fawn colouring with a darker line along his spine and the typical dark face and the cute wrinkles. He an absolute sook and likes to cuddle that close its like hes trying to burrow into your skin. Were currently working on house training which hes dealing quiet well with and the sit command. He sits straight away and lifts his big foot up. For a bm what is a typical healthy monthly weight gain? Ive read elsewhere about 10lb is the norm. Our BM is being fed advance puppy for large breeds and we have some science diet i think its called for puppys too which a add a little water to to soften the biccies up a little

If this pup came from a pet shop the legal age must be 8 weeks. From the DPI:

2.4 Sale of Animals

All dogs and cats sold must have a vaccination certificate signed by a veterinarian stating that the animal has been vaccinated in accordance with the label instructions of the manufacturer of the vaccine. The certificate must indicate the next date for further vaccination and any obvious defects. No animal with a potentially life threatening defect apparent at the time should be sold.

All animals offered for sale must be weaned and fully self sufficient. Minimum age of animals for sale must be:

Dogs 8 weeks

Cats 8 weeks

Rabbits 5 weeks

Guinea Pigs 4 weeks

Mice 3 weeks

Juvenile birds must be self sufficient and should be fully feathered (moult permitting). Unweaned animals must not be on the premises.

No animal suspected of being sick, injured or diseased may be sold. All animals must be free of external parasites and dogs and cats must have been treated for internal worms. Reptiles with active lesions should not be sold.

From the DPI for breeders:

10. Breeding and reproduction

Minimum Standards

A breeding dog must be fit, healthy and free of disease.

Dogs with a known history of physical or genetic defects (that will affect the dog or its progeny’s quality of life) must not be used for breeding.

Females must not be bred before they are 12 months old, to ensure they are physically fully grown.

Veterinary advice must be sought immediately if there are any concerns about a pregnancy or labour.

Puppies must not be separated from the mother before 7 weeks of age and not be sold or given away until 8 weeks of age or older.

Recommended Best Practice

If it is not intended to use a male or female dog for responsible breeding purposes, they should be desexed by a veterinarian. Desexing can be done safely from 8 weeks of age and preferably before puberty (4-6 months).

Before breeding, dogs should be health-checked by a veterinarian. This will include checking for any known breed genetic defects (that will affect the dog or its progeny’s quality of life). Inherited defects may detract from the dog’s overall health and cause pain or discomfort that cannot be cured and animals with such defects should not be bred from.

Regardless of breed, bitches should be at least 12 months old and in their second season before being mated for the first time. For the larger dog breeds, the recommended age for first breeding is generally 18 months old, i.e. when the bitch is fully grown and mature.

Bitches should not be mated to have more than two litters in an 18-month period. For the larger breeds, this should be not more than 2 litters per 24 month period.

Guidelines

Desexing has positive welfare and health benefits for dogs as well as reducing any tendency to stray, particularly in male dogs. Dogs do not ‘need’ to have a litter of puppies for their psychological or physical welfare.

If you intend to breed from a dog, contact a veterinarian to obtain information on health, nutrition and birth procedures. Dog associations such as the Victorian Canine Association can also assist with information on responsible breeding.

Gestation (pregnancy) is generally about nine weeks. A pregnant bitch has increased health requirements and requires regular veterinary checks during the pregnancy.

A suitable warm and protected environment should be provided for the bitch to give birth. Most bitches will complete labour in around 6 hours with no more than one hour between pups. If thebitch or pups appear distressed or there seems to be delays in the labour contact a veterinarian promptly.

Owners inexperienced in the birthing of bitches should seek advice from their veterinarian or an experienced breeder and preferably have an experienced person present.

Contact a veterinarian if there are any concerns over the labour.

Edited by Scallywags DOGrescue

I would expect a Bullmastiff to be around 10 kg at 8 weeks considering our Border Collies are 5-8kgs at 8 weeks.

As the others have pointed out, you should not have been sold a puppy under 8 weeks.

Edited by dancinbcs

Agree with the others, unfortunately this little (big :) ) guy should still be with Mum.

But for the record, I would expect him to gain around 1-2kg a week at this early age. It is very important though NOT to overfeed a growing large breed pup. Personally I'd take him off the Advance and Science Diet and get him onto Royal Canin or Eagle Pack, which both do a large/giant variety for puppies.

Thanks guys he turns 8 weeks tomorrow and was fully weaned and eating solids which is the only reason i got him so early. I weighed him again today and hes now 9kgs

Babies should never go to their new homes prior to 8 weeks of age regardless.

Where did you get him from? Why not ask the breeder, a good one will offer a lifetime of information and support.

Thanks guys he turns 8 weeks tomorrow and was fully weaned and eating solids which is the only reason i got him so early. I weighed him again today and hes now 9kgs

Don't sweat it alyjam, you wouldn't be the first person to get a pup from a breeder a few days shy of 8 weeks. :eek: Sometimes it happens due to timing, location, family committment, illness etc. I'm sure his weight gain is appropriate, you have bought a large breed. :)

Edited by LizT

I doubt this pup came from a breeder other than a BYB

We took him to the vet for a check up, vaccination, microchip and worming.

This is all done by an ethical breeder before leaving at no earlier than 8 weeks.

Leanne

Thank you lizt. Seriously though i asked a question about our pup not ask for people to attack me. Or where i got the pup from. I offered to chip and vaccinate the pup myself as i really like my vet and wanted our bubba going there from the word go. Hes healthy and happy i personally believe thats whats important.

I doubt this pup came from a breeder other than a BYB

We took him to the vet for a check up, vaccination, microchip and worming.

This is all done by an ethical breeder before leaving at no earlier than 8 weeks.

Leanne

No, probably not as it is glaringly obvious.

But now that the OP has found DOL, is gleaning advice from those that are informed, she will be able to make better decisions in the future if we don't scare her away with our self righteous rhetoric. This is her 4th. post. :)

Edited by LizT

we don't scare her away

I agree.

What is done is done. Don't shoot the messenger - the person who sold her the puppy is the one that should know better.

Alyjam - sounds like he is going to be a big boy. I do not worry to much about my puppies exact weight gain. So long as they are eating and are growing - all good. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your puppy. :D

Another vote for photos :)

I would have thought 7.5kg would have been small for a nearly 8 week old Bullmastiff.

And not aimed at the OP, but isn't it now against the law in Vic for pups to go to their new homes without being microchipped and vaccinated first, regardless of what the new owner wants?

Another vote for photos :)

I would have thought 7.5kg would have been small for a nearly 8 week old Bullmastiff.

And not aimed at the OP, but isn't it now against the law in Vic for pups to go to their new homes without being microchipped and vaccinated first, regardless of what the new owner wants?

I know it's illegal to advertise puppies or kittens without microchip details but not sure if this law extends to compulsory microchipping as such.