Staffordshire Terrier Mix Attack My Dog

bubumelon9513

Hi Everyone,

As the title stated:

The Staffy was alone at the entrance of IGA and managed to loosen himself up within seconds (due to the fact that he was poorly tied up) he saw my dogs (a Pomeranian and another White Maltese Shih Tzu-both on leash) that were passing by. He ran towards my White dog and managed to grab him by his left arm, starts shaking it non-stop and would not release even the owner came rushing to break up the attacks.

The attack finally ends when the owner himself had to hurt and step on the Staffy’s head on the ground. He was also bitten by his own dog. This owner did not apologize for what his dog did and did not offer to take up responsibility. He refused to provide any identification on him. At that time we just want to save our pet and did not argue/ insist him to go to the vet with us.

One of the breeder recommend me to lodge a police report and the vet suggest me to report it to the local council. I live in WA and not really sure what it is that I need to do here. I am not asking for the owner to pay for my vet bills though the vet quoted me around $800 today but I am so dissappointed with dog owners that is so irresponsible. I knew he is going to run away with it when he refused to provide some identification. But at that time all I could think of is to save my dog and make him less suffering. Hence, why I did not insist or argue with him at that point.

I am so worried if this guy get away he and his dog will cause more problem to the local people especially kids and pets. And do you all have any suggestion on how to protect yourself and our dogs when we take them out for a walk outside?

Feel free to comment. :(

Edited by bubumelon9513

Report it to the police and the council.

Does the shop have CCTV footage which the police or ranger may be able to access to identify him?

Just think, what if that dog had attacked a guide dog? Aside from the physical trauma, that dog might never be able to work again if it wasn't able to recover from the psychological trauma. There goes $30,000+ down the drain and the handler has lost the independence that the dog had given them. By reporting it, you will be doing the entire communtiy a huge favour and I for one thank you.

I hope that your dog recovers from the physical trauma and that there are no long term psychological effects from this. If the authorities catch the guy, he should be forced to at least pay your vet bills.

Guest donatella

Police and council Now! You shouldnt feel threatened to walk your dogs large or small and all attacks need to be reported for everyone's safety. How is your little guy otherwise? What a traumatic experience :(

sounds horrifying and traumatic. Your poor dogs. What a creep!

Such attacks are totally unacceptable, as is refusal to provide ID or take responsibility. THE IDIOT IS RESPONSIBLE. No one should tie a dog up outside a shop unless the dog is 100% reliable.

Where are you in WA? People may be able to give you tips about specific councils.

I wouldn't make a big deal about the breed. There are aggressive individuals in most breeds . . . even though Staffie crosses are especially common and tend to end out in not-so-good homes, I think it's better if the law is interpreted based on what the owner and dog do, not what breed the dog is.

Hi Everyone,

As the title stated:

The Staffy was alone at the entrance of IGA and managed to loosen himself up within seconds (due to the fact that he was poorly tied up) he saw my dogs (a Pomeranian and another White Maltese Shih Tzu-both on leash) that were passing by. He ran towards my White dog and managed to grab him by his left arm, starts shaking it non-stop and would not release even the owner came rushing to break up the attacks.

The attack finally ends when the owner himself had to hurt and step on the Staffy's head on the ground. He was also bitten by his own dog. This owner did not apologize for what his dog did and did not offer to take up responsibility. He refused to provide any identification on him. At that time we just want to save our pet and did not argue/ insist him to go to the vet with us.

One of the breeder recommend me to lodge a police report and the vet suggest me to report it to the local council. I live in WA and not really sure what it is that I need to do here. I am not asking for the owner to pay for my vet bills though the vet quoted me around $800 today but I am so dissappointed with dog owners that is so irresponsible. I knew he is going to run away with it when he refused to provide some identification. But at that time all I could think of is to save my dog and make him less suffering. Hence, why I did not insist or argue with him at that point.

I am so worried if this guy get away he and his dog will cause more problem to the local people especially kids and pets. And do you all have any suggestion on how to protect yourself and our dogs when we take them out for a walk outside?

Feel free to comment. :(

I am not asking for the owner to pay for my vet bills though the vet quoted me around $800 today but I am so dissappointed with dog owners that is so irresponsible. I knew he is going to run away with it when he refused to provide some identification.

I will happily spend $800 for my dogs' vet bills if ever required. But I think you should still get him to reimburse you for the vet bills if you can identify him. Owners such as this guy need to learn that there are consequences to their irresponsibility that will affect them personally.

poor little tyke....hope there is a speedy recovery.

Report to police and council.....depending on how badly the owner was bitten, all Dr's have to report dog bites they treat.

Get photo's and a report from your vet too.....

Guest lavendergirl

So sorry this has happened to you and your little dog. You should report it to police and council definitely - you may encounter this dog again. They will be able to gather more information than you will have access to. Hope your little dog recovers soon.

Pretty sure the police will refer you to the ranger if there were no people were hurt. I also don't think that it is mandatory in WA for doctors to report dog bites (it wasn't when I was doing a paper for uni but that was almost ten years ago).

Report it to the local ranger but not sure what they will do if they don't know who the person is. Maybe go back to the IGA, they may know who he is?

I hate it when people refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. :mad I would be mortified if my dog did that. Mind you I don't leave my dogs unattended outside shops.

Hope you and your dog recover. It would have been very scary.

I hope your dog is ok...what were the injuries? It is unfortunate that there are morons like this and I think he should be paying your vet bill. I have a dog aggressive dog and there's no way I'd leave her in a situation where she could get at other dogs...if she did I'd be paying the vets bills...my stupidity, my dog, my responsibility. If this dog attacked unprovoked he needs to be contained, PTS or re-homed to someone that knows what they are doing. Actually to tell the truth if this happened to my small dog I'd hunt down the owner and dog and take matters into my own hands.

Firstly, I'm sorry about your little dog, i hope he is doing ok.

Secondly, what makes you so sure it was a Staffy? Many dogs appear bully-bred. (Don't mean to nitpick, but this is how people get on the BSL bandwagon.

Hi everyone! good morning! I am going to bring Chucky to the vet now to perform the surgery. will get back to u guys soon and thnak your so much for all the comments and wishes. I am calling the ranger now and see what they have to say and also the police and I hope they will take action instead of just telling there is nothing they can do. I live in Maylands and the incident just happened right in front of the IGA entrance which s horrible to recall as many children and pets might be there!

Maybe contact the local paper and have them report to make shoppers in the area aware of this attack, as a Mum I would be grateful to hear about it and be warned regarding that particular shopping centre..

Bad press might make the Shopping Centre Ban Dogs from being tied up outside.

Guest lavendergirl

Best wishes for Chucky's surgery - I hope all goes well and he soon recovers.

For those raising the issue of the dog's possible breed - I don't think the OP was focussing overly on that but obviously would have to have some description to give to the council. Great idea to write a letter to the local paper describing the incident as well.

"I am not asking for the owner to pay for my vet bills though the vet quoted me around $800 today"

Why not?

Imho, you most definitely should be asking for him to contribute to the vet bills.

Only cowards run away and avoid their responsibilities and your dog was injured by his dog.

IGA will probably have a surveillance camera so the manager might be able to help council officers or police to ID the coward and his dog.

Souff

Firstly, I'm sorry about your little dog, i hope he is doing ok.

Secondly, what makes you so sure it was a Staffy? Many dogs appear bully-bred. (Don't mean to nitpick, but this is how people get on the BSL bandwagon.

thanks for your concern. Luckily he did not break his bone. Still waiting for the call from the vet from the surgery. I admit I am not 100% sure it is a Staffy & ntg is sure until the dog is DNA tested. I have study and memorized almost all the dog breed encyclopaedia ever since I starts to learn to read. I am not a breeder but just another dog lover. From the outlook of the dog he does looks like a Staffy mix or a pitbull type in him.

One thing I would like to clarify here:

The real reason I post & open a discussion here is because I know everyone here is dog lovers & understanding from the perspective of a dog owners and I totally disagree with BSL myself. I am sorry if I might have offended anyone who owns Pitbull type of dogs but I am not bias to the breed. I would blame it on the owner. I did not post it on facebook or any other social network is because I do not want the public to have this idea that Pitbull breed is an absolute ban and ppl shouldnt be keeping them as they are vicious. The owner acting so irresponsible and running away already reflects and tells us the main source of how his dogs end up attacking people's beloved pets & maybe children one day.

All I wish is that people who keeps them know what and how to deal with them. They might be a tough breed to own but it is not an issue if the dog is nurtured and brought up in a healthy environment with proper socialization and training.

I rang the local council up & they sound helpful and they will be coming over to my place to drop off some forms for us to fill in to lodge our official complaints. I had talked to the surveillance supervisor of the IGA regarding the footage and they promised to look up into it and keep it for me until the ranger come to collect the information.

Went to the police but they direct us to the local council as there is not human that is involved in the attack.