Soft Crate Vs Soft Pens.

Rileys mum

After some advice/experience from others.

I am needing to purchase another crate for my second dog. I already have a xxxl size soft crate for my boy but need a second for my lass as she will now be coming along with us everywhere we go :)

Whilst searching online for a second crate i found some soft pens (like crates but much larger). Has anyone ever used them for large dogs? are they stable? I like the fact that they are a bit more roomy (as my pups do enjoy the old GSP style lay on their backs legs up in the air sleeping method) but i am also quite partial to the small security that a crate has.

I only plan to use the crates when at training/competitions and obviously they wont be confined in it all day, just when im training the other dog etc.

Any opinions greatly appreciated

heres a link to the pens

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORTABLE-DOG-PET-CAT-EXERCISE-PLAY-PEN-CAGE-TENT-XXL-/260761322123?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3cb696028b

Cheers but Im not needing to crate train them. I have hard wire crates at home and both are crate trained already....needing advice re the soft crates vs the soft pen enclosures i have seen (the one in the link). will be using them at shows/training. :)

thanks guys, you confirmed my thinking. I just wasnt sure if they were sturdy because the extra room did look inviting but its no good if it wont stay up etc. My two are really good in their crates but I think i will go ahead and get a soft crate.

Cheers again :)

Soft pens have a large mesh area - no good for my toys as they are likely to chew their way out. Even in the soft crate they learnt to open the zip so I only use my hard crates at shows. I am not comfortable with having my dog run to meet me as I return from the ring.

Don't the soft crates usually come with sturdy pegs you can use to keep the crate stationary? A smaller soft crate I bought came with a set of yellow ones. I'm sure the larger crates would too.

If they don't come with their own pegs, you could probably use tent pegs? In the link you can see a round loop which a tent peg would easily go through right near the opening. I wonder if there's more loops around the perimeter?

I guess only useful if you have the crate on softer ground though.

Yeah the pens do have mesh roofs that are zipped on. They are fully enclosed. My two are very good in their crates so Im not so much concerned about escapes etc as both options are fully enclosed...was more worried about stability of the pens as they are a meter tall and i think if a wall got lent on etc it may not stay upright.