How Do Breeders Decide On Limited Register Or Main ?

mumoftwo

I have often wondered how breeders decide on whether their pups will be placed on a limited or main register ? I have seen new litters just born and already the breeders say they will be either limited or main. At the risk of sounding daft can someone please enlighten me ? I realise the ones on limited may not be to the breed standard, but is that the only reason ?

A bit of a curly one there. :laugh:

Many breeders do not like the MR/Limited register distinction. While some feel it is a good system that protects their lines from being over used by those that are really only interested in breeding dogs for $$$$$ Other times it is because the puppy may not be quite up to the mark as a breeding prospect and the breeder would not like to see any registered progeny from that particular dog. Again, others feel that only breeders who show dogs should have their MR puppies.

Before the introduction of MR/Limited many breeders only registered those puppies going to show homes or being used for breeding purposes. Other perfectly fine puppies were sold as "Pet Only" with a home made version of their Pedigree for the new Pet owner. So now many feel the MR/Limited is merely a way to inforce the registration of all puppies produced and is purely a revenue raiser. Others feel it protects the interest of all puppies breed and keep a more acurate record of litters produced.

There is no right or wrong way to decide, it's up to the individual breeder.

For us, if a pup is sold as a show/breeding potential pup then it is sold on main register, if a pup is sold as a pet then it is sold on limited register. As simple as that.

It depends. If I have a bitch that has a csection because she is bogged none of her girls will go on main register. If one of the puppies has a problem [ recessive] then none go out with main papers, etc.

I usually put puppies which the people have told me they dont want to breed on limited - though that can be a major pain in the neck too. Life was much less complicated when we gave papers from the CC to the people who bought puppies for breeding and none - maybe a hand done pedigree - to those that dont want to breed. Now its all tied up with council exemptions, BSL and the like so all dogs get a rego paper .

Main register means you can breed & register the puppies & show.

Limited register means you cannot show & if you breed, which is not what the breeder wants but it happens, you cannot register the puppies.

Limited register may indicate a fault but some are up to standard the same as some on main register are not.

My reasons are the same as Allerziets but all pet pups are desexed.

Most breeders I know go over the puppies every week until a final decision is made at 8 weeks on which, if any, are as good or better in structure, type, temperament and movement than the parents. Any that aren't, are definitely put on limit register. If they aren't good enough for us to breed from then they aren't good enough for anyone else to breed from. Those that make the grade are main registered and kept or placed in show homes. It usually happens that there are more show potential puppies than show homes so some inevitably end up being sold as pets, in which case they go on limit as well.

Unfortunately since the ANKC decided to make the cosmetic point of colour the ONLY disqualifying fault from main registration in our breed we also have to limit register the non-standard colours, no matter how good they are.

Mine go on limit if they are to be pets and are going to be desexed... anything that makes the grade that i can't keep I try and find a show home for or a home that may keep entire for a while longer til I can assess...they go on mains once I've spoken extensively with the owner... they stay in joint names until I've assessed at a later age, if I am showing it, or if I decide to use (this is usualy males btw). if it doesn't make the grade I advise they can desex and I'll transfer into their name once proof of desex.

Edited by SparkyTansy

For us, if a pup is sold as a show/breeding potential pup then it is sold on main register, if a pup is sold as a pet then it is sold on limited register. As simple as that.

Same here.

Hmmmm, where is that 'LIKE' button . . .

Same here.

• 2 weeks later...

It was all so much easier when the breeder had the call on Main/Limit registration.

We have always been required to register all surviving pups in a litter but the Main/Limit call was ours to make.

DogsNT now require us to have another piece of paper on which the potential owner is required to give agreement on Limit Registration for the pup. To get around this we now register all pups in our name having determined Limit/Main registration and then have to go through the process of "Transfer of Registration" rather than registering directly into the new owners name.

PITA.

Regards,

It was all so much easier when the breeder had the call on Main/Limit registration.

We have always been required to register all surviving pups in a litter but the Main/Limit call was ours to make.

DogsNT now require us to have another piece of paper on which the potential owner is required to give agreement on Limit Registration for the pup. To get around this we now register all pups in our name having determined Limit/Main registration and then have to go through the process of "Transfer of Registration" rather than registering directly into the new owners name.

PITA.

Regards,

So whats the problem with getting the new owner to sign that they agree to Limited register.??

I don't see a problem with it. :)

We still have the choice of which register we put the pup on.

I think it is great the new owners acknowledge that they know their new dog is on limited register, at least there can be no argument about which register the pups is on.

The paper we have the new owner sign in Queensland just stated that they (the new owners) are aware the dog is on limited.

As far as I am concerned no sign no pup.

Okay,

Previously, when a potential buyer contacted me I would say we have these pups available, these ones are on limit, these are main. If an agreement was met I could register the pups into the new owners name immediately.

Now, I have to send a copy of a form for the potential new owner to sign, they have to read through, agree, post back and then the form has to be submitted with the litter registration forms. If you have buyers coming in late in the sale period this can hold up the process somewhat.

It was a much easier process the other way about. I prefer to not have to register the pups in my name then transfer them to the new owner as once again this is doubling up on paper work which is not, IMO, necessary.

Regards,

Okay,

Previously, when a potential buyer contacted me I would say we have these pups available, these ones are on limit, these are main. If an agreement was met I could register the pups into the new owners name immediately.

Now, I have to send a copy of a form for the potential new owner to sign, they have to read through, agree, post back and then the form has to be submitted with the litter registration forms. If you have buyers coming in late in the sale period this can hold up the process somewhat.

It was a much easier process the other way about. I prefer to not have to register the pups in my name then transfer them to the new owner as once again this is doubling up on paper work which is not, IMO, necessary.

Regards,

I see what you mean. I was wondering the same thing about I litter I have at the moment but I think if the buyers are genuine then the forwarding of the slip of paper should not deter them. I had the purchaser sign the limited register form and registered the pup direct to her by just forwarding the form along with the registration application. The papers came back in the new owners name and on the limited register.

This is the way I decide too.

I assess at 8 weeks and what does not fulfil my expectations as show quality goes on the Limited.

There are many times when I put a show prospect on the limited register as there has been nobody wanting a nice show puppy.

Hi BB,

I am just wondering how is standing up for your rights being "precious".

I personally feel that the Control organisations are doing less and less for breeders of pure bred dogs while requiring the breeders to jump through more hoops and "accomodate" outside interests.

While I accept that not all controls have/always/perhaps will allow registration into the new owners names surely it is something that would make registration adn transfer of pups easier. Surely the controls should work for us just like the government works for us ;)

Regards,

Hi BB,

I am just wondering how is standing up for your rights being "precious".

I personally feel that the Control organisations are doing less and less for breeders of pure bred dogs while requiring the breeders to jump through more hoops and "accomodate" outside interests.

While I accept that not all controls have/always/perhaps will allow registration into the new owners names surely it is something that would make registration adn transfer of pups easier. Surely the controls should work for us just like the government works for us ;)

Regards,

Double the money if they make them register in our name and then the new owner pays to transfer.