Crate Or No Crate?

Rilla-My-Rilla

Hi All!

I'm getting a Border Collie soon, it'll be 8wks when I bring it home. I've read lots about crates, and my breeder said they are useful, but I'm still undecided on whether or not to get one. The pup will be sleeping in my bedroom, and be mostly outside during the day.

So - my question is - what are the pros and cons of crates? Are they really handy or am i better off finding a sturdy playpen for her to sleep in until toilet trained?

Thanks in advance! :D

sjp118

I got my guy a crate when he was a pup because he hated being locked into the laundry at night times. I attempted to have him sleep in my room but found he would just want to play or do his own thing instead of sleeping. When I would pop him in the crate for sleeping he took a few mins before he settled down as oppossed to an hour or two. If you get your pup use to a crate from an early age it can make things a bit easier later on. Especially handy if the dog gets desexed or an injury requiring limited movement. Also good for the dog to have its own little "den" it can escape to when it just wants to get away from it all :thumbsup:.

Edited by Ben and Jerry

A crate at night keeps puppy safe, helps with house training and allows you to sleep without worrying about what they are getting into (this is after the first few nights of hell while they express their displeasure - but they will do that no matter where you confine them anyway, so nay as well be in a nice safe crate).

Jazz started in a crate next to our bed and then when she needed a bigger crate went out into the passage by our door, some time around 9 months we stopped using it over night and started letting her sleep on a bed next to me. I think crating over night also gave her good night time sleep habits - out other 2 tend to get up and wonder around at times, not Jazz - if she gets up it is to ask to go out to the toilet and that is it.

I think crating is a good idea for all of the reasons mentioned. Having had a youngish BC on long term injury restrictions it has certainly been made somewhat easier by the fact she was crated overnight as a youngster (till about 6 or 7 months in her case). If it had been my older girl who is not crate trained at all I think it would have been made a lot worse.

after not crate training one dog. and crate training my second. i 100% am for crate training.

my second dog is easier to manage, ie just pop her in a crate when i cant supervise. my older boy destroyed many household items in his youth due to not being able to crate him (he stresses to much in the crate now)

Another 100% converted crate fan. I was dead against them before I got my 2 BC'S. Thought they were cruel even, like putting them in jail. After talking to the breeder I decided to give them a try, best thing I ever did. Crates keep them safe when you are unable to supervise them. Helps with toilet training. We go caravaning alot & both mine are crated every night inside our van just as they are at home, so they settle really well anywhere. My 2 love them. It becomes there den where they can relax too.

When used correctly crates are a godsend IMO.

Looks like I'll have to go crate :D

I was dead against them before I got my 2 BC'S. Thought they were cruel even, like putting them in jail.

:laugh: My sisters a bit like that - seems to think that if you have a 'cage' the dog will be locked in it all day!

Thanks everyone :)

:thumbsup: Yay - go crates. One of the really nice things is that dogs seem to generalise the idea of 'crate as den' - and then it doesn't matter if the crate is a plastic airline type, a metal crate, or a soft crate - my two BCs have a variety.

Totally agree with all of the reasons described above - perhaps especially the house training. My 3 year old BC boy still chooses to sleep at night in his airline crate beside my bed - the door has been open since he was about 1, but it's his 'special' bedtime spot (unless my bitch has decided that she wants it that night :laugh:) . When they're confined beside your bed, you can sleep well knowing they're safe, then when they wake, you can pop a leash on, take them outside for a wee, and bring them back in to settle down again beside you.

We travel quite a bit for trials, and the dogs watch to see their crates go into the accommodation - my bitch likes that to be the first job I do :D - then they know where 'home' is that night.

ETA Meant to say it's best to start them off in a puppy teeth prrof crate, like a plastic airline kennel type, or a wire crate, covered. Later once they've grown up a bit, soft crates are usually fine.

Edited by Tassie

When I was preparing for the arrival of Lucy I was really confused about whether or not to get a crate...I'm so glad I did. it has been the best thing EVER :thumbsup:

Not just for toilet training or somewhere to sleep at night but when you have someone over that doesnt like dogs (weirdos :shrug: ) or small children who aren't used to being around dogs.

I highly reccomend getting one

When I was preparing for the arrival of Lucy I was really confused about whether or not to get a crate...I'm so glad I did. it has been the best thing EVER :thumbsup:

Not just for toilet training or somewhere to sleep at night but when you have someone over that doesnt like dogs (weirdos :shrug: ) or small children who aren't used to being around dogs.

I highly reccomend getting one

My other thought in getting one was because of one of the dogs we already have. He's a shit tzu x and has a bit of a jealous personality. Thought puppy might appreciate her own spot away from the others, since she'll sleep much more then them.

My dogs love their crates, we keep one downstairs and my older girl (who was never crate trained, but just took to a crate really easily when we got one when she was about 8 months old) sleeps in it all the time. Actually, if she thinks she's in trouble she'll go and hide in her crate because it's a safe place.

Tilba is the 1st dog I've used a crate with. Best thing ever.She doesn't use it all the time, just in the car & when away from home. My JS puppy sleeps in his when inside, the car & away from home. I didn't need them with previous dogs, back then they weren't available as much as they are today.

Yes - definitely get a crate!

Many reasons why I will always have one for my dogs from now on (I introduced it to my 2 dogs when they were approx 8 years old - 1 died last year at age 13, the other still happily using hers and our new puppy has his own crate and loves it)

- makes toilet training sooooo much easier

- keeps them safe at night and for short spells during the day

- encourages some quiet time when you choose it to be so

- keeps them safe when your friends bring their little kiddies over

- keeps them safe when you have a party or BBQ in the backyard (and people are coming and going via the side gate all day)

- gives them somewhere safe to sleep after surgery etc. when the vet says to keep them quiet while stitches heal etc.

- allows you to separate your pets easily if needed (e.g. when one is sick or injured)

- makes it less distressing for your dog if/when they eventually need to spend some time at the vet (which will def. be in a crate)

- gives you the option of a camping crate/travel crate etc. so makes it much easier and safer to travel with your dog

:thumbsup: :laugh: We're a persuasive lot!

Given what you've said about your other dog, it might be worth conisdering some sort of playpen for puppy as well, just to ensure your existing dog gets some peace and quiet :D .

Oh - and don't forget to pop across to the Border Collie pics breed sub-forum. The 'price' of our advice is puppy pics :rofl: