Pet Expo - Sbt And Amstaff Breed Clubs?

BoStoNmAdNeSs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear (and Im in Victoria), that these two breeds aren't represented at the Sydney EXPO? This true?

If so, I think its a bloody shame and an opportunity lost. I can't believe it - I really can't.

Apathy?

That sounds very strange to me - they're always at any Victorian shows and expos, and seem to take every opportunity presented to make a good public appearance. I'd be really surprised if they weren't doing the same in NSW.

Well, I'm pretty reliably informed that was the case. Also here the Frenchies weren't there either - though thats a different issue as I dont think they face any of the problems that Amstaffs and Staffords do.

Fair dinkum, people get online and whinge and moan about what is happening to the image of their breed but not prepared to do anything about it.

Edited by Bullish

Well, I'm pretty reliably informed that was the case. Also here the Frenchies weren't there either - though thats a different issue as I dont think they face any of the problems that Amstaffs and Staffords do.

Fair dinkum, people get online and whinge and moan about what is happening to the image of their breed but not prepared to do anything about it.

I was there today and they only had a Staffy rescue stall.

Okay, what happens at Pet Expo in Sydney is there are only a certain number of stalls and each time different breed clubs are invited to participate.

This year for the first time the Neopolitan Mastiffs and Dogue de Boreaux <please excuse spelling> Manchester Terriers, Coolies, Schipperkes were some of the breeds that were there. The only club that is invited back every year is the German Shepherd Dog League and that is because we have an obedience demonstration team which performs twice a day everyday.

It is possible that the breed clubs that you have mentioned were not asked to participate this year, but could be asked to participate next year at Pet Expo in Melbourne.

I hope this helps you to understand why your chosen breed was not there this year.

Cheers

I haven't been in a few years, but every time I have been there these breeds have been

Schipperke (I love them so always visit)

Koolie

GSD

Amstaff

Bull Terrier

Manchester Terrier

These are the ones I remember as I visit them.

I think you will also find that quite a lot of clubs are invited but just can't be bothered. Too much trouble to give up a few hours to promote their breeds. Sure it is quite tiring being there for two days running but it is also very rewarding - it gives the public a chance to meet the breeds up close and have a chance to chat, take some photos, shed a few tears about their dogs who have passed.

All dogs today were very well behaved and quite a few of the clubs go to a lot of trouble setting up their stalls :thumbsup:

I think you will also find that quite a lot of clubs are invited but just can't be bothered. Too much trouble to give up a few hours to promote their breeds. Sure it is quite tiring being there for two days running but it is also very rewarding - it gives the public a chance to meet the breeds up close and have a chance to chat, take some photos, shed a few tears about their dogs who have passed.

All dogs today were very well behaved and quite a few of the clubs go to a lot of trouble setting up their stalls :thumbsup:

Thats my point...if they couldnt be bothered then they should just hang their bloody heads in shame.

I agree

I think you'l find all clubs are advised when the expo is running and are asked if they would like to attend.

If the club decides they want to attend they send in their application along with a refundable stall holding deposit, you can state you want a single or double stall and they are allocated depending on demand. After everything is allocated you are then asked how many passes your club needs, people attending with a dog get a free pass and this year your club could buy $5.00 for passes for helpers not entering the gates with a dog.

The NSW Expo was not run last year so Dogs NSW ran the Dogs NSW promo day but this year the expo returned.

Aside from the year that the Expo didn't run the Rottweiler club has attended every year that I can remember so I'm sure any club can go if they wish but I guess getting the helpers is another story and it is very tiring on the dogs and the owners. It can also add to the expense of small clubs decorating stalls etc but it is a very worthwhile cause.

We are set up opposite the Neo's and next to the schnauzers and today all the dogs were great. I can't tell you how many people said oh the Rottweilers are lovely not how I thought they would be, you hear so many bad stories.

I do find it sad listening to some of the stories how they have just lost their mate, especially when their eyes fill with tears, but its nice to see them cuddling another one while they share.

I can't believe how many people let very small children run up and cuddle big dogs but it's a good opportunity to try and educate them on the no no's but today we did also have a lot of children asking 1st if they could pat the dogs which was very nice to see and is happening more now than in previous years so maybe the message is filtering through.

Probably the only negative would be that because the dogs are at the expo it gives people a false sense of security and they forget they are still dogs and capable of acting like dogs. I had a mum watch her son try to climb onto my adult male's back,I pulled the dog away and said something and her reply was yeh I already told him not to ride the dogs.

I agree it's not for everyone and not all dogs would appreciate all the attention especially when you don't have eyes at the back of your head and I must admit to always thinking god I hope none of the dogs act up but I don't think any club would be refused if they wanted a stand.

And besides you get a laugh at the people that tell you they have 80kg rotti at home and it's got no fat on it, there must be alot of mutants out there, or you shouldn't feed raw meat cause it will give your dog the taste of blood.

I loved seeing all the different stalls today but there were a stack of breeds not represented

Cheers Lee

Edited by rotts4ever

Did I meet you today Lee? I was taking photos. My friend owns Dobes. I loved meeting the Rotties, they were gorgeous and so well behaved :)

Yes you did,I owned the 3 Boys. How great to meet you and then see your post here. Thanks for stopping and chatting, I hope you didn't end up with too many slobber marks.

Cheers Lee

We ran the Dogue de Bordeaux stand, and we are not a breed club. We were not really 'asked' but when we found out about it, we asked if we could have a stand even though we don't have an affiliated breed club - Dogs NSW were thrilled and said 'of course'. There were a few unallocated stands, and I know there were dog shows on this weekend as well.

I agree that this was a missed opportunity for the Amstaff people, but perhaps they didn't realise they could ask - like we did.

Our breed is one where there is now a lot of unethical breeders, who are not health testing, and I am seeing the increase in rescues with each passing year - last year was a record with 20 dogs, and this year I've had 6 already in need. We felt it was important that the public meet our breed, and are educated on the health issues now being seen, and see what they are really like - as opposed to what they see in the movie.

It is exhausting, for us and the dogs, and I'm glad that all the dogs were so well behaved today.

And Ruthless - nice meeting you and thanks for taking the lovely pics of Viva :thumbsup:

Did I meet you today Lee? I was taking photos. My friend owns Dobes. I loved meeting the Rotties, they were gorgeous and so well behaved :)

Yes you did,I owned the 3 Boys. How great to meet you and then see your post here. Thanks for stopping and chatting, I hope you didn't end up with too many slobber marks.

No, I dressed for the occasion so it was all good! What's your prefix? I was telling my Rottie friend about your lovely dogs but couldn't remember any of their names :o

And Ruthless - nice meeting you and thanks for taking the lovely pics of Viva :thumbsup:

Pleasure! They're my favourite pics of the day :)

Edited by ruthless

No, I dressed for the occasion so it was all good? What's your prefix? I was telling my Rottie friend about your lovely dogs but couldn't remember any of their names!

Hi Ruthless

Prefix is Rotteln. The dogs there on sat were my boys Damit,Enuff and Focus, Wendys girl pippa and Lisa's girls Tauri and Kado.

I think it was actually busier today as we seemed to have a steady amount of people at all the stalls and walkways and we gave out nearly all of our pamphlets and fact sheets.

I'l like to add the Dogs NSW Girls and boys were lovely all week end as were all the other breed stall holders and a lot of the stalls looked amazing.

Hope to meet you again at another doggie day

Cheers Lee