Whippet And Cats

I have Whippets and cats and have them outside together (under supervision) and never have an issue ever.

I am at a loss as to why you ever bother posting as you never take any advice on board.

Your dog is not stubborn, she is a young Whippet who needs direction, which you obviously cannot give.

The cats should not have to get to the point of hissing and defending themselves. You should step in when she looks like annoying a cat. Allowing them to get hassled like that is un-necessarily cruel. Get off your backside and intervene early, train your dog. If you cannot do it give her to someone who can.

She is not the problem she is being a young Whippet. You are the problem because you are a rubbish owner. If you think it is bad now wait until she hits adolesence.

You were warned, but of course you didn't listen because you knew better and now look - I told you so springs to mind.

Do the dog a favour and rehome her now!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No she is never left with the cats unsupervised. Thats the problem we have a cat here that even hisses at Missy when she walks past. The hissing and pawing just edges Missy on more.

OSoSwift how dare you say I'm a rubish owner, How about you come here and meet my dogs and you will see how well taken care of and how well behaved they are. They get everything they need they come before me, I'll do anything for them.

Is it so wrong to try and fix a problem first without runing to a behavourist straight away?

Missy is 7.5 months old right?

I'd say the problem has been going on for a while... why is it only now you've decided to fix it, or at least ask for help to fix it?

Missy has had at least 4 months to practice the behaviour and reward herself for performing it. It is now becoming a highly rewarding in built behaviour, which imo may need professional help. Given the other problems you have had with your dogs and how you treat them- didn't you say that you poured cold water over you chi for barking at one stage- I think you really should get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Mumtoshelley I am picking up the vibe that you think calling a trainer is somehow shameful. I couldn't disagree more if this is the case. I am pretty proud of my dogs and we've managed to sort out most of their issues over the past year, but if something isn't working I won't hesitate to get a second opinion on how I'm doing something. I think even the most experienced with dogs will agree that there is always a new way to try or something they can learn from getting an outside opinion.

Is it so wrong to try and fix a problem first without runing to a behavourist straight away?

it depends ...

If there are several people in a household, and the dogs are getting inconsistent discipline/training , and there are some problem behaviours shown by the dogs, then having an independent professional come in and assess/make plans takes the pressure off the owners/family/housemates , because everyone has the situation explained to them...they are all on the same page :)

if an owner is experienced, can read his dog accurately , and has a good working knowledge of how and why dogs do things , what they see as reward, and if they how to control their own responses according to the situation..then taking advice suited to their dog/skills is a great idea.

It's a bit like having a sore throat.. and ramping treatment up , and only when the pain is excruciating/disabling, is a doctor consulted , and the best ,tailored treatment given .

Edited by persephone

The last few days I haven't been able to exercise her due to the weather being so hot.

early mornings is usually just lovely ;)

Why not, when it's hot .. do some education stuff? she can practice lying still , going to a mat EVERY time she's told .. leaving food when you say no ...

and my favourite , just me and a dog in a nice quiet room, doing whisper training :D

I love training dogs using just a whispery voice ... we both need to concentrate , and the dog learns to really watch/listen to get the opportunity for lots of gentle ,quiet physical praise . Me? I enjoy watching the dog closely , and praising on the signs of dog listening to me ..and understanding what is wanted .It's a very tranquil thing to do .. no sudden moves, no noise, just communication ..and learning.

I train her everyday only for short lessons as she gets bored easy. Normally within 10 minutes Missy has had enough and starts to shut down. Might be a dumb question but what is whisper training? Missy knows to sit and wait when she is being feed. She does know to go lay down when told just sometimes she chooses not to listen which is when I pick her up put her on the couch and say lay down.

Okay....

You don't need to train her for 10 mins straight. I rarely do that with my Mal pup and she can WORK!

2-5 min blocks only. Take her out, train one thing, put her away and rest. Repeat. Training should be fun, the dog should be interested! On very hot days you can do a bit of clicker training, work on positions, teach her to stay on a mat, crate games, hide and seek. Endless options and they are easy.

I don't live that far from you, our weather is pretty much the same and I've managed a good hour or two out tracking and training with my pup every morning this week, plus time to walk my older dog. Get up earlier, it's nice outside ;)

As for your original question - keep your dog on a leash indoors. Don't give her the option to chase the cats

Normally within 10 minutes Missy has had enough and starts to shut down. Might be a dumb question but what is whisper training?

..and that is fine :) 5- 10 minutes a few times a day is great ..ALWAYS finish before she shuts down, and end on a good note.

I love training dogs using just a whispery voice ... we both need to concentrate , and the dog learns to really watch/listen to get the opportunity for lots of gentle ,quiet physical praise . Me? I enjoy watching the dog closely , and praising on the signs of dog listening to me ..and understanding what is wanted .It's a very tranquil thing to do .. no sudden moves, no noise, just communication ..and learning.

By whispering, you get your dog to really listen ...and you get the chance to be calm, and watch ....it's a very simple thing :)

Taken from another thread.

Missy my 6 month 3 week old female whippet just peed on our carpet and she hasn't done that in the last month, I thought she was house broken but after tonight nope still have to keep on eye on her. I don't think Missy will ever be house broken

I feed my guys twice a day in the morning when I get up which is normally around 11am then I feed them again at 6pm. I go to bed around 11pm then the dogs go out at 8:30am when my boyfriend gets up.

If you really are dedicated to your dogs' exercise needs, and want to beat the heat of the day, you'll need to get out of bed earlier than 11am.

You've also recently posted about her still urinating on the carpet at 7mths old. It seems you have more training issues than just the cat chasing.

My advice to you, is to seek professional help for her (and you) now, or find her a great new home. One that is prepared to exercise her properly, satisfy her drive, and train her.

I know you've been going to obedience, and that's excellent, but learning her sits, stays, and recall are one thing, learning the rules of the house is another.

Edited by Sir WJ

No she is never left with the cats unsupervised. Thats the problem we have a cat here that even hisses at Missy when she walks past. The hissing and pawing just edges Missy on more.

OSoSwift how dare you say I'm a rubish owner, How about you come here and meet my dogs and you will see how well taken care of and how well behaved they are. They get everything they need they come before me, I'll do anything for them.

Look M2S I have to agree with Oso and Telida Whippets you need to rehome Missy for her own good.You have been told time and time again what to do with Missy and Rascal and Shelley and you choose to ignore all the advice you are given.I have been following this for a year and you were told countless times NOT to get another dog and you went ahead and did it :( Take TW's offer to rehome Missy through rescue and concentrate on the dogs you already have :(

in the morning when I get up which is normally around 11am then I feed them again at 6pm. I go to bed around 11pm

Here's a thought. Spend less time in bed and more quality time with your dogs.

Getting up early isn't even necessary, the evenings are cool too :)

I would have thought that lure coursing or rabbiting would only INCREASE her prey drive? I was told to even avoid fluffy toys for my Grey because it might confuse her. I have always been very strict with Pia and she is very gentle with my cats. But we have a zero tolerance rule for chasing/harrassing cats in our house!

My last foster dog satisfied his prey drive by working his way through some 20 odd chooks and 3 cats ( they are all dead ). So you really need to address the issue now or rehome her.

My door is always open for wayward Whippets, it's my specialty.

This is a great and very kind offer from Pav Lova. You should take her up on it, as it will be the best thing for Missy to be living with someone with the skills and time to put into her that she needs.

Hi Mum to Shelley

I am special person to Clancy and Connor, also Whippets but grown up ones! They grew up without cats in their lives....until now!

At present I am staying with a friend and whilst we are in our motor home we are spending some time in the house or off lead on the property so the boys are having a crash course in cat toleration (cert.1)

Last night whilst my friends were away in town the boys and I sat in the lounge with both cats as well as the Whippet Grand Dame and the IG-the boys were kept on leads initially and practised long down stays....both cats survived, as did the boys.

Annie

• 2 weeks later...

Any improvement with Missy and the cats M2S? I just wanted to address a couple of things you mentioned in your posts ...

I have told her No and even put her outside when she has annoyed the cats it doesn't help. As soon as you let her back in shes at it again so I tell her No again and then leave her outside till bedtime.

What am I meant to do hit her she is very stubborn, I have told her No since the day I got her with the cats. She goes to obedience every monday night the trainers just keep telling me to say No in a firm voice and she will soon learn.

Leaving her outside until bedtime isn't going to train her .. dog's don't understand that sort of 'time out', ie the way it's used for children. After a few minutes she won't have any idea why she's been put outside, she's not sitting there thinking 'I'd better leave the cats alone now'.

No, you do not need to hit her, you need to be vigilant when the cats are around so you can step in before she starts to harass them.

I know Missy just wants to play but she won't learn the meaning enough is enough. The cat even starts hissing but still she won't give up this is when I normally step in. She gets that stubborn that she won't even listen when theres food around.

If you're not stepping in until the cat has started hissing, you've left it FAR too late.

..oh, and if you need to scream to have her respond, you both are NOT on the same wavelength, and have very poor communication between you :(

Please do not even consider an electronic collar- she is very young, and it would be the work of one second to cause her more problems with a misplaced stim. :(

Agree. If you're at the screaming stage you've already missed the crucial time when the correction was needed.

I'd be starting from scratch. Say no when she looks at cat, have treat and get her to come to you... You'll be much more exciting.

If no doesn't get her attention, get up, say no, grab her by the collar and take her to time out - a place with no toys, people, animals or fun like an empty laundry for a few mins. Then get her to sit, then let her out.

Do that for a while first. Water bottle is absolute last resort.

Good suggestions MnDM