Breed Suggestions Please?

Cougar

Right, am back with more info! Will be an inside/outside dog, would prefer a shorter coat and not too curly (there goes the poodle!). Jack russells and chis are too small - they're thinking that a good size is cav or beagle size. Not considering either of those 2 breeds, one is too sedate and the other a bit trickier to own :laugh:

Nothing too big headed or flat faced, and the whippets are too skinny. Does that help? :rofl:

I'm leaning towards a mixed breed rescue pup if I'm honest, and if we can find a suitable one. Will happily take more suggestions though! Thanks heaps for your ideas so far, much appreciated.

They do know that shorter coats are going to shed too, don't they? Common misconception amongst folks, that if they get a short coated dog they won't get dog hair everywhere!

Yes, very true, short coated dogs shed as well. My son rescued a beautiful Doberman who sheds constantly.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, am back with more info! Will be an inside/outside dog, would prefer a shorter coat and not too curly (there goes the poodle!). Jack russells and chis are too small - they're thinking that a good size is cav or beagle size. Not considering either of those 2 breeds, one is too sedate and the other a bit trickier to own :laugh:

Nothing too big headed or flat faced, and the whippets are too skinny. Does that help? :rofl:

I'm leaning towards a mixed breed rescue pup if I'm honest, and if we can find a suitable one. Will happily take more suggestions though! Thanks heaps for your ideas so far, much appreciated.

They do know that shorter coats are going to shed too, don't they? Common misconception amongst folks, that if they get a short coated dog they won't get dog hair everywhere!

Yes, very true, short coated dogs shed as well. My son rescued a beautiful Doberman who sheds constantly.

I have been told my dally will shed 52 weeks of the year.... and that person was not wrong... (a DOLer actually). Short hair IMO is just as annoying as long hair but people will have their preferences

I will just repeat myself - corgi or cocker. Definitely not the home for a terrier by what's been said :)

TBH this family sounds picky.... and proportion would be something that would effect their decision subconsciously... I dont think a corgi would suit their aesthetics needs, considering they are very much about how the dog looks.... IMO thats just what I have gathered by such restricting criteria.... I do think they sound like a cocker would be more down their alley though...

Suggest the go to a dog show & look around .

There could be a number of breeds that could be suitable but it really comes down to how they wish to interact.

You can walk some dogs for hrs but without mental exercise not be the best pet & others that prefer a balanced in between.

Maybe suggest they go through the breed pages on DOL & see what breeds take there fancy .

I could think of some but it may not be there type or how much they want to pay

Or if they're after something a bit larger, how about a Wire Hair Fox Terrier? I don't know much about breed as I've just fallen in love with them recently. I know they said they didn't like the curly hair look but seriously … who could say no to this cutie? :D

At the risk of bringing the wrath of another bunch of breed fanciers down on me.. me.

IN THIS CONTEXT I'd not recommend ANY terrier. The family are looking for a quiet, friendly dog. I've seen way too many noisy, reactive terriers to recommend one IN THIS SITUATION. That goes double for Fox Terriers (Smooth or Wire). Yes, I know there will be a bunch of folk who'll tell me THEIR FT was quiet as a lamb and loved every dog but the odds of getting one that more closely fits the breed standard are good. One of the words used to describe the WHFT breed in the standard is "fearless" and in my experience that's what you're going to get more often than not.

That doesn't mean I hate terriers (although its likely that's how it will be interpreted) but if I wanted the best fit for the requirements specified, a terrier would not be on the list. :shrug:

You beat me too it. I don't think it sounds like you hate terriers and obviously from my sig, I adore them, but I also wouldn't reccommend one in this family's situation. Especially not a Fox Terrier.

I think the corgi/ cocker suggestions are good ones.

I do see terriers being recommended in some situations when they probably shouldn't be. I have the most amazing terrier in our family- but i would NEVER recommend them to someone inexperienced or wanting an easy dog to train. I know exactly how easily my awesome dog could have been a terror in the wrong hands. They aren't for the faint hearted. :)

You beat me too it. I don't think it sounds like you hate terriers and obviously from my sig, I adore them, but I also wouldn't reccommend one in this family's situation. Especially not a Fox Terrier.

Actually, I really admire the Foxies - Smooths in particular. My father tells me they were a very popular family pet when he was growing up in the 30's

Mind you, that was an era of quarter acre blocks, stay at home mums and no one raising an eyebrow at dogs 'turned out' of their homes for exercise.

Times have changed.

I agree with what has been said about terriers, definately not. However I still stand by the schipperke - awesome dog for a kid to play with, with take as little or as much exercise as given, and not sure if it is all schips, but my boy has been very easy to train and is extremely obedient.

But I agree with what showdog said at going to a dog show, or having a look at all the breeds on DOL to see what tickles their fancy - after all, appearance is a factor in choosing a dog/breed.

Edited by rusty&biscuit

Smallish, fluffy, for a novice family - Cocker or Sheltie or maybe a Corgi (not fluffy but not smooth either :))

Agree with Sandra777.

As much as I love my breed of choice, I rarely suggest it to others.

I would never recommend a stafford to a novice family. Great as they are, they can be stubborn, pushy and a confident owner... Just my opinion..

I agree with the choice on corgi too, small, but not too small and not dainty lil things either ;) But just adorable and loyal, and not so hard to train

We have the cutest corgi pup who comes to the leash free park on the weekends and he plays with Ziggy and the other bigger dogs.

He has the best personality and he is so über cute... He is a ball of energy.

Last weekend his owners called him as it was time to go and he sat there in the middle of everyone (i don't think he wanted to go home)...

Guest RosieFT

Actually, I really admire the Foxies - Smooths in particular. My father tells me they were a very popular family pet when he was growing up in the 30's

Mind you, that was an era of quarter acre blocks, stay at home mums and no one raising an eyebrow at dogs 'turned out' of their homes for exercise.

Times have changed.

We have a smooth fox terrier and i am often stopped in the street by older people and they say 'we had one when i was growing up, he/she was a brilliant dog!"

I don't know if it is the individual dog, but Rosie rarely, if ever barks, doesn't dig, is happy with a 30-45 min walk a day , is great with my kids and is very, very smoochy - she is more of a lap dog than my parents' bichon. My dad adores her, when they dog-sit, she is often found on his lap whilst he is on the computer.

She has an 'off' switch, but if there is anything going on she is full of life.

To us, she is the perfect family dog. :)

We have a smooth fox terrier and i am often stopped in the street by older people and they say 'we had one when i was growing up, he/she was a brilliant dog!"

From the stories I've been told, approximately 50% of them were called Socks or Soxie :laugh:

Guest RosieFT

From the stories I've been told, approximately 50% of them were called Socks or Soxie :laugh:

:laugh:

I will have to ask the names next time someone says it and see :)

Rosie has one brown leg, so she would just be 'sock' LOL

Or if they're after something a bit larger, how about a Wire Hair Fox Terrier? I don't know much about breed as I've just fallen in love with them recently. I know they said they didn't like the curly hair look but seriously … who could say no to this cutie? :D

At the risk of bringing the wrath of another bunch of breed fanciers down on me.. me.

IN THIS CONTEXT I'd not recommend ANY terrier. The family are looking for a quiet, friendly dog. I've seen way too many noisy, reactive terriers to recommend one IN THIS SITUATION. That goes double for Fox Terriers (Smooth or Wire). Yes, I know there will be a bunch of folk who'll tell me THEIR FT was quiet as a lamb and loved every dog but the odds of getting one that more closely fits the breed standard are good. One of the words used to describe the WHFT breed in the standard is "fearless" and in my experience that's what you're going to get more often than not.

That doesn't mean I hate terriers (although its likely that's how it will be interpreted) but if I wanted the best fit for the requirements specified, a terrier would not be on the list. :shrug:

OT Its interesting- I have Kelpies and I think Terriers look like more work!! I keep looking at them wistfully but I know that the breed lines I would be attracted too would be more intense than the dogs I have now.

I think there have been some great suggestions in here!! Love corgi's

I don't understand why people say terriers are such hard work to train. All dogs have their difficulties and it saddens me that they've been given such a bad rap by idiot owners who don't understand them.

People are always commenting about their stubbornness but all the Aussies I've owned are so willing to please that they're easy to train. And they don't bark a lot either.

I know the poor JRT gets a hard slog because of their hyperness but in the right hands they're gorgeous dogs and not at all as bad as their reputation states.

If you wouldn't suggest a terrier for this family based on the fact they're "hard work" maybe no dog is suitable as IMO they're all equally hard work -- just in different ways. If the family isn't willing to take the time then maybe they should get a fish.