Irish Native Breeds On Television

Sheridan

The sit is great. When I was watching your link I wondered how the handler would feel in the show ring :rofl:

Very cute dogs.

Interesting to see the difference between Irish and American Wheatens in coat styles. You and I have discussed this before but I was told by a terrier man years ago that the American style of presenting the Wheatens is totally against what the Irish intended.

I saw a photo recently of an American wheaten that hadn't been primped up for the show ring and it was amazing to see how close the style was to the Irish wheaten. Slightly different coat, heavier, and a much darker wheat colour but still, there was the wave in the hair as per the standard. The American wheatens tend to be shorter in the back. The measurement is the same but they measure them from a different spot so they have ended up with a shorter back, more in the kerry style. And I wonder now given I've seen that photo, how much of the American style is down to the Irish not sending their best dogs overseas? If you send over dogs with incorrect coats in the first place, don't whinge about them not having correct coats now.

The wheaten in the video was very nice and I loved the 'Does he have eyes?' question. I've got that before. :D

The wheaten in the video was very nice and I loved the 'Does he have eyes?' question. I've got that before. :D

And didnt he have lovely eyes. You could hear the audience swoon.

And I wonder now given I've seen that photo, how much of the American style is down to the Irish not sending their best dogs overseas? If you send over dogs with incorrect coats in the first place, don't whinge about them not having correct coats now.

Thanks for posting this, Sheridan. You might be interested in the link below, if you haven't seen it already. It has a number of photos of early wheatens, including a series on puppies born in America (on the preservation page). The puppies seem to have the typical harsh puppy coat until the sixties or seventies where upon the puppy coat style changed.

http://www.irishwheaten.com/

I am not certain that it is as simple as the dogs with poor coats being sent to America but rather that the Americans bred for a squarer body shape and prioritised that over coat type. It looks like the dogs being bred in Ireland had fairly consistent coat types. They probably also started with a small genetic pool and they definitely had problems with over use of popular sires. (Not that popular sires are a problem unique to Wheatens or Americans). Another source told me that all but a handful of about 400 American champions between 1979 and 1983 had one particular sire somewhere in their lineage.

Have you managed to see it yet, fifi?

:( No, I've seen up to the Irish terrier, but we drop out before the rest loads. never fear...I'm off to town tomorrow to visit a friend with ADSL :D

fifi

Hey Sheridan, recognise the man they were talking to? :laugh: :thumbsup:

Loved the Irish Terrier! :thumbsup:

Yes! It'd be great if they came out again!

'All I see are dead ears!'

"What's with your ears?" *flap hands around your head*

They were the best judges ever! :thumbsup:

"What's with your ears?" *flap hands around your head*

They were the best judges ever! :thumbsup:

And very enthusiastic about their Irish dogs, which is great to see.

Thanks for posting that Sheridan, very enjoyable. Nice to see purebred dogs showing themselves off to the public too :)

I was quite interested to see the difference between the red and the irish red and white. The red and whites in Ireland, I'm told, are mostly field rather than show dogs.

Thanks for that very interesting, really enjoyed it. The Irish Setter....well...look at our Irish here, soooooo different.

Yes they are very different.

I loved the melting expression on the Irish Setter in the video.

Also loved the irish red and white - and you could tell it was a working dog too :D

Thanks for posting Sheridan :)