Too Many Breeds....

Dame Aussie

This is a bit of a whinge but I feel like there are so many breeds I want to own, but not enough time!!!

I can't even narrow down a top ten!! :(

How many dogs can a person have in their lifetime do you think? How many have you had? Give me some hope!! :laugh:

Anyone else have the same dilemma?!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I'm in the same dilemma!

I want sooo many breeds, but I've managed to narrow it down by a LOT :laugh:

I have a schipperke, and an Aussie shepherd.

I want to breed schipperkes. I WANT AN ACD!! And I WILL get one when my circumstances will EVENTUALLY be the right ones for one.

I want a st bernard..or a leonberger.

A chihuahua, or a pomeranian...or a chinese crested.

Also add to my list importing an owning a Japanese akita inu.

Oh, can't forget a Noonbarra kelpie!!

Hmm, perhaps another aussie...yes, a pretty red merle.

A greyhound, whippet, and perhaps an american staffy. I need short coated cuddlies!

I also fancy a working line german shepherd.

So, there is my narrowed down list. I will either need to live a very long time, or even better, win the lotto. Give us some hope please! :D

I would like to own someday....

Standard Poodle

Italian Greyhound

Afghan Hound (ok...I probably won't ever own one of these beauties as I have cats...but I can dream!)

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Pomeranian

Shetland Sheepdog

Boston Terrier

But when my darling old girl goes...I'll probably get another Weim because I can't imagine life without one.

I have the opposite problem! I currently have 3 breeds plus 2 crossbreed dogs but can't decide what breed I want my next showdog to be! I will keep breeding and showing my iggies but want another breed to show. There are breeds that I would live to own. But they wouldn't be a good fit for my household. I'm finding it frustrating trying to find a breed that ticks all my boxes.

I have the opposite problem! I currently have 3 breeds plus 2 crossbreed dogs but can't decide what breed I want my next showdog to be! I will keep breeding and showing my iggies but want another breed to show. There are breeds that I would live to own. But they wouldn't be a good fit for my household. I'm finding it frustrating trying to find a breed that ticks all my boxes.

Whippet :cool:

Yep :) There are a couple of breeds I would like to realistically own one day (Aussie Shep, I blame Leopuppy :provoke:, and because I'm head over heels for one of Ptolomy's girls, a Toller perhaps at some stage eek1.gif but at least that is still a beloved gundog thumbsup1.gif), plus others that I like but can't see me ever getting (Beagle and English Setter for starters).

Regardless of what I own, though, I will always have a Lab in my life. Well, that's the plan anyway, because I've told Ruby she isn't allowed to get any older and we are to see old age in together ;) laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Eventually I want a coated breed to show... but other than that I am more than happy with my pointers and maybe a pug or two on the side lines. Pointers are THE breed for me so whilst there are many breeds I fancy I know they are most likely definately not breeds I will own. :thumbsup:

This is a bit of a whinge but I feel like there are so many breeds I want to own, but not enough time!!!

I can't even narrow down a top ten!! :(

How many dogs can a person have in their lifetime do you think? How many have you had? Give me some hope!! :laugh:

Anyone else have the same dilemma?!

You should get into rescue then, it is like sampling so many breeds. I have done it for less than a year and had maltese, shih tzu, german spitz, chihuahua, mini dachshund x...you can always adopt if you fall in love.

While I like several breeds (and love looking at what ifs), there are only a small number that I would realistically own with my preference for shorthaired, biddable, athletic dogs. And my bias towards dogs in the herding group.

Yeah have considered a whippet, but they aren't much different to iggies show wise. Really want something diffetent to what I have already.

Fostering, or talking family members or friends into owning certain breeds, can open your eyes for breeds you never would have considered owning before. I never was a fan of mini schnauzers, but my mum now has one and she is just gorgeous. Quite smitten with the spunky little thing thumbsup1.gif My sister will be getting a whippet hopefully soon, so I am looking forward to getting to know that breed up close, too :)

My heart are with gundogs, though!

:laugh:

ETA: I have considered fostering, maybe that would help me pick and also unpick certain breeds!

I've told the OH who loves anything huge, that I want a Pug. Can't say he looked too impressed :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

:laugh:

ETA: I have considered fostering, maybe that would help me pick and also unpick certain breeds!

I've told the OH who loves anything huge, that I want a Pug. Can't say he looked too impressed :laugh:

He will love a pug... they are TRUELY big dogs in a little dog body! tough as nails and full of additude :thumbsup:

My girl will pull all the pointers into line when they are bad... she was very helpful when raising the babies :laugh:

GSP's are the ones for me!

One day I MIGHT get another dane - maybe..

Have had danes, dally's, CKCS, Lab, Mini Poodles in the family before but I don't think I could ever see myself not having a GSP. People tell me I need to pick my 'old person' breed. Frankly if I ever get too old and frail to have a GSP I might rather be dead!