Too Many Breeds....

Dame Aussie

When I have a farm I will have a pack of sighthounds... Saluki, Whippet, Borzoi, Azawakh, Greyhound

Cute little indoor dogs... Italian Greyhound & French Bulldog

My sport dogs... Malinois, Huntaway, NZ Heading Dog

And a herd of Dobermans :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty fussy so I have more trouble finding a breed I want to own than finding too many.

I have had:

- A Cherry (maybe chi x tibbie but who knows LOL)

- Siberian Husky

- Beagle

My next dog will be a field bred English Springer but I also want a working line Malinois. That's it though :laugh: I love Sibes and Beags but not sure if I will own them again.

Edited by huski

I think as long as I can provide a proper home for them (i.e. training and exercise) I will have Aussie Shepherds. Then I'm going to switch to rescue greyhounds, so they can be couch potatoes with me in my old age :)

That said, I could have another Aussie terrier again one day.....

I think Kelpies are a good fit for me - short haired, medium sized, decent drives, biddable, enjoy training, athletic, and good looking :thumbsup:

working line Malinois is top of my other breed list, other than that not sure - other sports contenders are maybe Koolie, Dutch Shepherd, not sure if I want another GSD at this point. If they were in the country I would possibly try Pyrenean Shepherd or possibly Beauceron for a bigger dog.

I've had this exact same dilemma. I've got 2 big books with hundreds of breeds, just to drool over what I probably can't have.

Dalmatians are my heart breed I think, but that said they are "my" first breed as an adult (having had a foxy x, a rottie x, a staffy x, a lab and a mini schnauzer in my life up until getting my dally) and therefore, maybe I haven't come across my real true love yet (but I think I have, dallies are awesome)

I would definately LOVE to have, and plan to have:

-curly coated retriever

-flat coated retriever

-aussie shepherd

-weimeraner

-rescued greyhound or show-line greyhound

-maybe a border collie (OH insisted I include this breed here)

There are plenty more that I love but may not get the pleasure of owning:

-kooikerhondje (fell in love when I saw a Dogs101 clip on youtube)

-Saluki and other sighthounds - don't know if I could handle a sighthound, but would LOVE to, this applies to greyhound above too.

-Siberian husky

-Toller

I'm sure that I've forgotten some. I could grab my breed book to refresh the memory but then this post could be VERY long.

Well there are a lot of breeds I like to look at / read about. But they don't suit what I do.

I'm having the opposite problem, I have quite specific requirements and the 2 breeds that really meet my specifications I'm not allowed to have :(

I've got the breeds for my second dog narrowed down, but I'm only really sold on one.

Guest Clover

I have a large one day list, but only one that is right up there as a must have and that is a Standard Poodle. Although i am more than happy with my working type Border Collies and I probably wont ever be without a JRT. And i'd love another Rottie x one day.

I keep changing my mind about the next breed. I absolutely love the Field Spaniel, but am tired of all the hair from the bitch. I also wonder about 'downsizing' because of my age and how old I will be when the next dog comes along. I am tossing up with a French Bulldog, a Cavalier, a Mini Schnauzer or a Havanese. I also have been admiring the Lappie, but then wonder if I get a dog that size, whether I should just stick with the Field as they fit our lifestyle so much. Hubby said he won't get another breed (we have a dog each), but it will be hard to get the same breed as the next one will have so much to live up to...sometimes I wonder if it's best to get a new breed when one passes so you are never comparing it to the previous dog.

My problem is that I admire too many breeds and want them all.

I think I would compare my dogs regardless of breed. Not in a 'x was better than y' way but I always think about the differences between my dogs and what qualities I prefer in each of them :laugh:

I used to be the same wanting so many breeds but over the years I have narrowed it down by picking breeds that I really like, that are similar and chosing which one I would rather out of them. Eg. I love malamutes, samoyeds and Keeshond but if it came down to deciding I would rather a malamute.

So I will always have, show and breed bullmastiffs but I would like one dobermann(hopefully in the the next 12-24 months when we buy some land) and one alaskan malamute as show dogs/family pets. I would also like a smaller breed of dog to show and breed and here I am coming unstuck. My picks are Boston, chinese crested, basenji or pug. The Boston is probably the favourite at this stage.

I also have a thing for german shepherds, toy poodles and kelpies however for some strange reason I have no desire to show them, maybe I'll adopt one of each in need of a home in the future when I am in a position to.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

Grew up with parents show and breed Weis

Worked with Labradors, LH German Shep, and a Rotty cross Lab ( Narc dogs)

Had Chinese Crested

and now have a breed I would never swap, the Xoloitzcuintle

OK maybe when I am old I may have to downsize! lol

I've been true to one breed . . . thinking about switching cause I'm getting older and I am a little comfortable owning dogs I couldn't carry back home if something went wrong on a hike. Hope my next breed will hold me through for the rest of my life. Currently thinking Boston, as they are fairly common in the US and I like the temperament.

I don't see how people cope with multiple breeds. Perhaps my social skills just aren't up to dealing with the ins-and-outs of breed clubs, politics, etc. for multiple breeds.