Would You Get Contacted?

LizT

Someone asked me this the other day. It was a hypothetical question.

But they wondered if a dog got out and was hit by a car would those who clean up the road kill (council workers) who I have noticed from time to time often left collars on nearby fences etc. and cleaned up the dead animals (cat or dog and wildlife) check for a microchip and contact the owners of the dead dog. I think this action would be dependant on the individual and their personal feelings on dogs and cats.

When I thought about it I really had no idea if this would be done as par for the course?

I mean I would hope so but sometimes the animal has been dead for quite some time and also could be quite a mess so it would be an unsavory task. :cry:

Does anyone know for sure? :confused:

I'm not sure but I would think it would depend on the individual policies of local councils AND whether or not those policies are carried out/enforced. Not a nice thing to think about for sure but perhaps worth checking with councils.

Guest Willow

I would have thought if the coucil were cleaning up, the council were obliged to check for a chip....after all, it's they who insist on microchipping and registration, and I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't. I don't know for certain, however.

In the one case I found a dead animal, I called the vet to pick it up. They said they would check for a chip and contact the owner. It hadn't been dead for ages though, in fact it was run over by the car in front of me.

If it was picked up off the road by council workers then no they wouldn't check for a chip , like cownabree said they are taken straight to the council tip :-( if your pet was picked up by member of public and taken to a vet then they would generally scan for a chip .

There was a discussion via the media some time ago about this situation. The answer for all councils they asked (can't remmeber which ones but were all around or in Brisbane) was they don't check for id or microchips on dogs that were hit due to the workers not being paid to search through blood etc.

If your dog got out & caused an accident, I guess they would check the ID chip & you could be liable for any damages/injuries.....I guess :confused: Being on a farm, we have to have liability insurance in case a cow or calf gets out on the road & causes damages or injury.

If your dog got out & caused an accident, I guess they would check the ID chip & you could be liable for any damages/injuries.....I guess :confused: Being on a farm, we have to have liability insurance in case a cow or calf gets out on the road & causes damages or injury.

Yes, Sheena we need the same for our horses. Whether they are on agistment or private property if they get out (or are let out) and cause an accident it can cost you alot of money.

Not sure how they got there but I have been at Queanbeyan pound when members of the public have arrived to pick up dead animals from their freezer.

And on the show weekend (fireworks) the ranger was saying he would need to clean out the freezer for the new arrivals?

I assume that means they even keep some bodies??

Not sure how they got there but I have been at Queanbeyan pound when members of the public have arrived to pick up dead animals from their freezer.

And on the show weekend (fireworks) the ranger was saying he would need to clean out the freezer for the new arrivals?

I assume that means they even keep some bodies??

Oh that's so sad, when they get scared and get out and panicked and hit by a car. :cry:

There was a discussion via the media some time ago about this situation. The answer for all councils they asked (can't remmeber which ones but were all around or in Brisbane) was they don't check for id or microchips on dogs that were hit due to the workers not being paid to search through blood etc.

There was a case, in Brisbane, where a dog was hit by a car. Details a bit blurry, but owner was a lawyer who argued the council had a responsibility to scan the microchip & inform.

In my municipality they don't.

I know of someone who had reported their dog missing, was contacting council & pounds about every 2 days & visiting to try & find the dog every few days. They did this for weeks, along with posters, flyers & a FB campaign. Eventually a member of the public rang them to tell them they had seen council throw the body of the dog in the back of a truck (hit by car) about a week after the had first reported it missing. When they rang council to get confirmation they were told "yeah, we did pick up a dead white dog" - why they couldn't have been told that in one of the numerous phone enquiries they made between when council had picked it up and when they made that specific enquiry who knows.

I agree with what someone else said, council make it compulsory to microchip your animals so they should be checking any animal they find for a microchip. Maybe that means sending out the AMO instead of clean up crews. At least in my council that would mean the AMO's would be doing something productive for animals & their owners!!!

I know of someone who had reported their dog missing, was contacting council & pounds about every 2 days & visiting to try & find the dog every few days. They did this for weeks, along with posters, flyers & a FB campaign. Eventually a member of the public rang them to tell them they had seen council throw the body of the dog in the back of a truck (hit by car) about a week after the had first reported it missing. When they rang council to get confirmation they were told "yeah, we did pick up a dead white dog" - why they couldn't have been told that in one of the numerous phone enquiries they made between when council had picked it up and when they made that specific enquiry who knows.

I agree with what someone else said, council make it compulsory to microchip your animals so they should be checking any animal they find for a microchip. Maybe that means sending out the AMO instead of clean up crews. At least in my council that would mean the AMO's would be doing something productive for animals & their owners!!!

Closure can make a huge amount of difference with the way a person is dealing with a loss. :(

i had a friend who worked a large council in sydney and they were supposed to scan but who wants to scan a dead maggot infested dog?

often worker would not scan.... if one was found flat... thats what they wrote on the form... on a main road with a large traffic flow the flat ones would have a damadged chip and it would not read.

Won't happen in Tasmania unless it is picked up by the RSPCA, or by one of the few councils with a microchip scanner. It SHOULD be routine but sadly isn't and probably won't become so for some time to come.

Thats really sad, what a horrible way to find out. Really crappy on the councils part!