Australian Obedience Team At Crufts 2012?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Lisa and Prix! :thumbsup:

I find it more natural to have my hands down by my side Mia Skogster (sp) style. I used to have both my hands together at my waist as that was also a natural position for me but I got pinged heavily for it in a mock trial. The judge later said I shouldn't have been pinged as you should be able to hold your hands in a natural position. There are so many differing opinions on it!

I find it more natural to have my hands down by my side Mia Skogster (sp) style. I used to have both my hands together at my waist as that was also a natural position for me but I got pinged heavily for it in a mock trial. The judge later said I shouldn't have been pinged as you should be able to hold your hands in a natural position. There are so many differing opinions on it!

UK heelwork requires your hand on your left hand side. It is very different requirements than here in Oz.

UK heelwork requires your hand on your left hand side. It is very different requirements than here in Oz.

Thanks Lisa! I read somewhere else that was the case in the UK. It is very interesting watching UK obedience clips on FB as their style of obedience can be quite different to here!

Surely the Aussie dog that was unwell would have shown some signs prior to actually going in the ring.

Why didn't they put the reserve dog in? Isn't that why they take one?

He did show slight signs of being unwell, he didn't handle the travel and was a little dehydrated and not running on all cylinders. After a few days and a vet visit he seemed to have picked back up, sadly on the Sunday and another vet visit he flattened off again. The second Vet said he had travel sickness and that it was quite common in dogs after a long haul flight, he advised strict rest to prepare him for the flight the next day, so that is why he was withdrawn........hindsight is a wonderful thing.

His symptoms are just lethargy, he's knackered, after the trip home I can totally understand.

Fingers crossed the flight home was easier for the dogs, it was a little shorter and they are back in Oz even if not at home yet.

Here is a clip of Prix and I doing some training on Friday night before Crufts.

:thumbsup: great clip

I noticed in your clip you had your hand on your left side - is that your usual hand position in Aus. or did you change in the lead-up to going to the UK?

Surely the Aussie dog that was unwell would have shown some signs prior to actually going in the ring.

Fingers crossed the flight home was easier for the dogs, it was a little shorter and they are back in Oz even if not at home yet.

With this in mind would you do this again?

Edited by gsdog2

I think that some Australian obedience judges object to swinging arms, so you'll find that most people have their hand on their hip. I also find that, having a young dog who can be prone to the occasional stickybeak or sniff in trials (yep working on it), the hand on the hip is a good fallback for when they look away then look back again (to remember what they are meant to be doing without a verbal command).

I find more judges have issues with the hand on the hip but it does depend on the state. There is actually nothing in the rule book about where hands need to be but if you change the position of your hands during an exercise (ie start with hands at your side before giving recall and then putting them back in front of your after the command) that can be classed as a double command. I swing my arms (both) and have never had a judge comment or dock points.

Next time you compete overseas you must tell us!

It was only by fluke I noticed an Australian team was competing at Crufts and started the thread. So glad I did, as it was wonderful following the score sheet.

Tell us more PLEASE.

1331712091[/url]' post='5762959']

It was only by fluke I noticed an Australian team was competing at Crufts and started the thread. So glad I did, as it was wonderful following the score sheet.

Tell us more PLEASE.

Ask away Lablover.

1331704391[/url]' post='5762787']
1331686113[/url]' post='5762345']

Here is a clip of Prix and I doing some training on Friday night before Crufts.

:thumbsup: great clip

1331692784[/url]' post='5762509']

I noticed in your clip you had your hand on your left side - is that your usual hand position in Aus. or did you change in the lead-up to going to the UK?

1331693778[/url]' post='5762535']
1331649118[/url]' post='5762024']

With this in mind would you do this again?

Yes! But i need to answer again when he gets out of quarantine. ATM he is playing tug and being spoilt, he just takes everything in his stride:)

I noticed in your clip you had your hand on your left side - is that your usual hand position in Aus. or did you change in the lead-up to going

The hand position is how i always train. Our Aussie rules should cope with it, but i have been pinged heavily for it.Honestly, i dont care, i train my dogs for what i want, if i'm happy and the dogs are happy, thats all that matters to me ATM.

All of the Aussie team 2 Crufts dogs have been out of the ring for a year to prepare for Crufts, i also broke my leg and had 12weeks on the lounge.

UK heeling requires your hand on your left side.

Tell us more PLEASE.

Ask away Lablover.

When did the team fly over?

Where did you stay?

Did you have any time to be a tourist?

It was the first time an Australian team had entered Crufts?

How was the team selected?

Did you know the standard of the other dogs/teams/countries?

What did you think of Petra's US field labrador? (cannot help myself sorry, being a US field lab lover)

Which exercise caused the most significant loss of points?

Send away?

Directed retrieve?

Edited: I just rechecked score sheet. Not really sure of the abbreviations. Feel free to correct me please.

Edited by Lablover

1331719558[/url]' post='5763164']
1331717784[/url]' post='5763109']

Tell us more PLEASE.

Ask away Lablover.

We left on the 2nd

Where did you stay?

we stayed at the Hilton NEC Birmingham, right nest to the NEC

No, not with the dogs.

It was the first time an Australian team had entered Crufts?Yse correct, first time, first team.

How was the team selected?Was posted on the OzObedience list, need to know that style, prepared to train, send dvds if you thought you were up for it. I was asked to go. I love UK heelwork and have been to crufts before.

Did you know the standard of the other dogs/teams/countries?Yes, have admired that style for years, even Petra and Tyler her Lab....lol

What did you think of Petra's US field labrador? (cannot help myself sorry, being a US field lab lover)

I love Petras Lab, not competing with a BC or WS, was awesome to see a diffferent breed, Petra and Tyler are very good competiters, we knew that years ago as we are all Crufts followers/stalkers.

1331719558[/url]' post='5763164']
1331717784[/url]' post='5763109']

Tell us more PLEASE.

Ask away Lablover.

We left on the 2nd

Where did you stay?

we stayed at the Hilton NEC Birmingham, right nest to the NEC

No, not with the dogs.

It was the first time an Australian team had entered Crufts?Yse correct, first time, first team.

How was the team selected?Was posted on the OzObedience list, need to know that style, prepared to train, send dvds if you thought you were up for it. I was asked to go. I love UK heelwork and have been to crufts before.

Did you know the standard of the other dogs/teams/countries?Yes, have admired that style for years, even Petra and Tyler her Lab....lol

I love Petras Lab, not competing with a BC or WS, was awesome to see a diffferent breed, Petra and Tyler are very good competiters, we knew that years ago as we are all Crufts followers/stalkers.

Were you sponsored or have money donated. How I wish we could have helped you..that is...if the team needed the money. For all I know, you all may be multizillionaires.

I met Petra's dog breeder on my first dedicated US dog trip (had toured for 3 months previously). Lovely man, great bitch. He was a scout to the UK from the US (naturally lol), when the first US field team competed in fun field tests in England. He went onto be the team leader.

Petra and her dog by the way, were quite successful in US field trials - derby (under 24 months old). She also ran in six master hunters last year AND PASSED all six. She also ran in a field qualifing event and came 1st!!! (Probably not mean anything to anyone but me but long distances and very difficult to achieve). What a team!!!!

Edited by Lablover