Australian Obedience Team At Crufts 2012?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting on the size as I know of a couple of Labs that do agility that jump 500, which means they are shorter than that (and also shorter than Kaos, who jumps 600).

Yes I think it is too ;) Would love to see a wicket brought out at a show!

Very nice work with the Lab!

Lovely to watch (nice looking Lab :) ) - the handler was great too (great footwork imho). I notice most handlers keep their left hand firmly on their left hip, something I've just started to do lately.

Lovely to watch (nice looking Lab :) ) - the handler was great too (great footwork imho). I notice most handlers keep their left hand firmly on their left hip, something I've just started to do lately.

Just out of interest, why? I tended to keep my left arm up to keep it out of the way because my dog is tall, but that makes me feel as though I'm walking awkwardly. I actually like and feel better balanced letting my arm swing, although because my dog is tall I swing it out a bit - got that little tip off Mia Skogster :D

I think I've met Yank, he didn't seem as tall as that boy, are the working Labs usually really tall? Leggy I know but so big?

I could Email photos, if you would be send your address via PM. It would take me forever adding to thread, and not appropriate?

Working labradors like any other competitive animal, is selected normally for its working potential. This is usually best to best, winner to winner. Field requires a running athletic type dog, for want of a better description.

Long legs, balanced body, good fluid movement. The training grounds can have significant cover, long swims and undulating terrain. The repetitive drills and exercises long and strenuous.

A friend in the US has been a vet for 30 years. He has not had one case of hip dysplasia in a well bred field labrador EVER!!

Edited: Spelling!!

Edited by Lablover

Just out of interest, why? I tended to keep my left arm up to keep it out of the way because my dog is tall, but that makes me feel as though I'm walking awkwardly. I actually like and feel better balanced letting my arm swing, although because my dog is tall I swing it out a bit - got that little tip off Mia Skogster :D

Erny, have you started competing in obedience trials? Woo hoo.

Check out her other arm.

Nothing technical Erny :laugh:.

I haven't been in the ring for quite a few years but even way back then I was more comfortable letting my arm swing (my GSD was 69cm, so reasonably tall). My female shepherd is really quite small but for some reason if I leave my arm swing I keep connecting with her :o . I've been to a couple of Mia Skogsters seminars too and yes she said to walk with both arms swinging naturally so I tried. Maybe I'm getting (more) uncoordinated as I get older and just can't get that arm swinging without risk of knocking my dog out :rofl: . Sooooooo ..... it's nice to see a number of competitors in the Obedience that held their hand against their hip and I'm sure they're younger (and more coordinated) than I am

Edited by gsdog2

Nice looking lab and a great round. That sendaway apparently did a few dogs in.

Left hand on the hip like you see in a lot of the Crufts obedience dogs (and the Australian team) is based on the method used to teach the dog how to heel. Which is a target method. The dog is taught to target the hand out wide and then is gradually brought in closer and the hand target removed onto the hip, where it remains stationary except when giving a signal. The hand on the hip is not a target though as these dogs can heel no matter where the hand is placed eg on their head. :) I know a few handlers who have larger dogs and their hand is either waist leve (like the lab handler's)l or tucked just under the collar bone of handler (when handler is short and dog is tall).

Questions for Erny - which hand do you hold your lead in if you're using one? And which hand do you give signals with?

I'm not sure if the swinging left arm is seen much in Australian obedience. I don't see why you can't do it although some judges may not like it. I'd probably knock my dog out!

Aussie Crufts team, handlers and dogs, are on the plane and on the way home. :thumbsup: Hope they all travel well. One of the dogs in the Aussie team did not complete their round as the dog became ill, vet diagnosed as jet lag, apparently not uncommon in dogs that have travelled as far as these dogs.

Questions for Erny - which hand do you hold your lead in if you're using one? And which hand do you give signals with?

Lead predominantly held in right hand - dog on left. This leaves the left hand free for use to encourage/pat/treat and does help in preventing the habit of dog curling across the front of handler's body.

"Stand" hand signal given with left hand.

"Drop" hand signal given with right hand - there's a switch lead to the left hand for this.

"Sit" hand signal can be given with the right hand - switch lead to the left hand for this. Mind you, I use either hand with my own dog, if I'm using a hand signal - it depends on the position of the dog to me. Also, I reasonably quickly work the by then learnt verbal commands separately to the hand signals, so that the dogs understand each independently.

*Note/question : are you permitted to switch lead hand in trials?

I'm not sure if the swinging left arm is seen much in Australian obedience. I don't see why you can't do it although some judges may not like it. I'd probably knock my dog out!

Yes - I thought it would feel quite odd but when I tried it the improvement in my balance outweighed the "I'm not used to it" sensation. I just have to remind myself to do it though, as hand in and out of the way is what I've gotten in the habit of.

The switching lead hand might sound cumbersome to some, but I find the absence of the left hand being available to help in the early teaching days is a bigger disadvantage. I also find that pet owners who hold the lead in the left hand tend to drag back on it more, as though they were pulling on the hand-brake of their car.

Beg pardon for the :offtopic: . I don't intend to veer this thread off the track beyond what I have already. Hope this answers your question Jigsaw :).

Aussie Crufts team, handlers and dogs, are on the plane and on the way home. :thumbsup: Hope they all travel well. One of the dogs in the Aussie team did not complete their round as the dog became ill, vet diagnosed as jet lag, apparently not uncommon in dogs that have travelled as far as these dogs.

Well done to our Aussie Dog Team - what a great treck, effort and milestone just to compete at such a level. Safe trip home to you all :thumbsup: .

Edited by Erny

What an experience.......I wish the team a safe trip home. thumbsup1.gif

I do feel sorry for the dogs having to come home after such a short time away and 2 long flights to do 30 days in quarantine. These dogs have an extra special bond with their handlers, so being without their owners and living in kennels is going to be tough. I know my boy would stuggle BIGTIME.

Having a girl currently in quarantine - the 1 hour visiting rights, three times a week - suck!

Here you go this is the lab that won:

Thanks for the link! Nice dog!!!! thumbsup1.gif

That's interesting on the size as I know of a couple of Labs that do agility that jump 500, which means they are shorter than that (and also shorter than Kaos, who jumps 600).

Mine appear to have long legs, but in actual fact they are only 53cm, so under standard. I don't think there are very many Labs that I've seen in real life that make the standard confused.gif

I could Email photos, if you would be send your address via PM. It would take me forever adding to thread, and not appropriate?

Hi Lablover, I would REALLY love to see photos of your dogs!! Please!

I don't know about jetlag in dogs but in humans can't it take a while before it kicks in so to speak. Wonder if its the same in dogs as in the dog appeared fine until after it had competed. I don't know how many days it takes before it would be noticeable or how many days they were there before competing.

Its like everything is fine until all of a sudden it all catches up with you and that can be days later.

Just a thought.

I think that some Australian obedience judges object to swinging arms, so you'll find that most people have their hand on their hip. I also find that, having a young dog who can be prone to the occasional stickybeak or sniff in trials (yep working on it), the hand on the hip is a good fallback for when they look away then look back again (to remember what they are meant to be doing without a verbal command).

Yes you are allowed to switch the leash in trials, as long as your signals are clear :) I really struggled handling the leash and for CCD eventually switched to holding it in the middle of my body, with both hands (on advice from some people on DOL). The right hand was most comfortable for me, signalling everything with my left hand, but I was hitting the leash with my knees when walking and inadvertantly giving my dog mixed signals. Then after the glee of getting rid of the leash after CCD, I had to work it out again for Novice Rally :laugh: Gone again now though, good riddance.

We're back and all very tired.The dogs are at AQIS and i know will be spoilt until we get them back.

It was a wonderful experience, cant believe we did it. I dont have any video yet only of some training at Crufts, but should have some in a few days.biggrin.gif

Lead predominantly held in right hand - dog on left. This leaves the left hand free for use to encourage/pat/treat and does help in preventing the habit of dog curling across the front of handler's body.

"Stand" hand signal given with left hand.

"Drop" hand signal given with right hand - there's a switch lead to the left hand for this.

"Sit" hand signal can be given with the right hand - switch lead to the left hand for this. Mind you, I use either hand with my own dog, if I'm using a hand signal - it depends on the position of the dog to me. Also, I reasonably quickly work the by then learnt verbal commands separately to the hand signals, so that the dogs understand each independently.

*Note/question : are you permitted to switch lead hand in trials?

Beg pardon for the :offtopic: . I don't intend to veer this thread off the track beyond what I have already. Hope this answers your question Jigsaw :).

Well done to our Aussie Dog Team - what a great treck, effort and milestone just to compete at such a level. Safe trip home to you all :thumbsup: .

:offtopic: Thanks Erny! Always interested how others train! I believe you can switch lead hands in trials.