Border Collie Breeders Recommendations?

bossyboo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of good breeders in both states but in Qld in particular there are a lot more shonky breeders so you are wise to ask but you should be looking for a breeder of good Border Collies, not just family pets. Most of the shonky ones advertise their dogs as family pets because they aren't sound enough to do anything else. Health testing is vital in this breed. Parents need DNA results for CL, TNS and CEA and should be hip and elbow scored as well.

To narrow it down a bit what region are you in, what do you plan to do with the dog - obedience, agility, herding, etc? When are you looking at getting a puppy? Some of the better breeders may not have a litter planned for another year or so.

Can i recommend http://www.bojakbordercollies.com ? Pups are on limited register so are not for the show ring but are able to compete in dog sports. I know you said you just wanted a family pet so ability to compete in show ring won't matter for you :)

I'm not sure if you have seen the links to the QLD and NSW breeders here on DOL?

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/border-collie.asp?state=QLD You can also go to the full breeder listing for each state from this page :)

Sorry i can't be of much more help. Maybe you could also post in the BC sub thread, people there will be able to tell you whats the go :)

Good luck with your search, i hope you find a wonderful companion :)

I can very highly recommend Nahrof Border Collies or Neecabe Border Collies in NSW. They are both listed on the breed pages on DOL.

These breeders breed show dogs, multi class winners to Grand champs & they also have exported to have BIS winners o/s as well.

I have a brought a pet Border from both of these wonderful breeders & couldn't be happier with both of my dogs.

Extremely high quality IMHO. Very well breed. They have excellent temperaments, & are very healthy dogs.

Also I found both these breeders very helpful even as busy as they are to answer any questions I had during my purchase & provide ongoing support when needed.

Just one thing though, be prepared to wait for the right pup to come along. I waited about 18 months for the 'right little girl' & she is sooo worth it.

Good luck with who ever you choose. :) Have fun with this awesome breed. I just adore mine & they bring me overwhelming pleasure everyday. :heart:

Oh there is also Yarroncoly BC's also in NSW. They bred my boy's mum. I was nearly going to buy another one from them. Same deal, beautifully bred, excellent temps

& very helpful people. Pretty sure they have a little boy available ATM he is as cute as too. You can see him on the BC puppies available page on DOL.

Hope I was of some help to you.

Edited by BC Crazy

• 2 months later...

hi there,

I have a four year old pure bred border collie female and my family were really keen for her to have some pups on her own,not sure whether or not we are allowed, or in our case it is hard to find a male pure bred to introduce her to.

Any ideas?

g.a

I couldn't be happier with the boy I got from Dunwurkn Border Collies at Gympie. She breeds performance dogs, but all her dogs (mine included) have a lovely personality. She puts a lot of work into her pups with their social training before the age of 8 weeks & the difference between him & my Bojak girl is amazing. My Dunwurkn guy has been so easy to train & is 100% healthy. Mind you I love my Bojak girl & she is my soul mate & we are doing great work together now. :) Allison from Dunwurkn, does prefer her pups to go to performance homes & you will have to go on a waiting list.

G.A does she have papers? Papers are like a birth certificate and will have her family tree on them and will have the ANKC endorsement on them. Assuming she has these then you need to look at them and see what register she is on. To breed a litter she needs main register papers. Then she would need to be DNA tested for three diseases, not sure what this would cost but CEA is not cheap around $200 to $300, then hip and elbow scoring. Not a cheap exercise but very very important.

I can very highly recommend Nahrof Border Collies or Neecabe Border Collies in NSW. They are both listed on the breed pages on DOL.

These breeders breed show dogs, multi class winners to Grand champs & they also have exported to have BIS winners o/s as well.

I have a brought a pet Border from both of these wonderful breeders & couldn't be happier with both of my dogs.

Extremely high quality IMHO. Very well breed. They have excellent temperaments, & are very healthy dogs.

Also I found both these breeders very helpful even as busy as they are to answer any questions I had during my purchase & provide ongoing support when needed.

Just one thing though, be prepared to wait for the right pup to come along. I waited about 18 months for the 'right little girl' & she is sooo worth it.

Good luck with who ever you choose. :) Have fun with this awesome breed. I just adore mine & they bring me overwhelming pleasure everyday. :heart:

Oh there is also Yarroncoly BC's also in NSW. They bred my boy's mum. I was nearly going to buy another one from them. Same deal, beautifully bred, excellent temps

& very helpful people. Pretty sure they have a little boy available ATM he is as cute as too. You can see him on the BC puppies available page on DOL.

I second Nahrof. I don't know many border collie breeders, but I do know the breeders of Nahrof BC's - if I was going to ever get a BC, this is where I would go.

This post is 3 months old and I think they got lots of recommendations back in March. There are a lot of lovely litters around at the moment from many of the top show breeders that breed for health, temperament and quality rather than colour and just to produce pets.

Just saw the post from Gia-Altinock.

First question. Is she main registered? If she is you need to speak to her breeder.

Second question. What is her DNA status for CL, TNS and CEA and what are her Hip and Elbow scores? No Border Collie should ever be bred without all these tests being done.

If you let us know the answers to these questions then we may be able to help you.

Edited by dancinbcs

this post id 3 months old and I think they got lots of recommendations back in March. There are a lot of lovely litters around at the moment from many of the top show breeders that breed for health, temperament and quality rather than colour and just to produce pets.

It was resurrected by someone who wants to BYB her girl and wants advice

Yes I thought this was an older post dancinbcs & you make a very good point about "just wanting a pet" or going to a breeder that just "breeds pets" because there are some excellent breeders of show quality dogs that have

amazing temps & not all the puppies in every litter are "show quality" puppies & those littey's who don't quite make the grade can make the most amazing pets. The other advantage of buying a puppy of this standard you are assured

that all the necessary health checks etc are done.They just don't bred puppies for the hell of it or to make money. The litters just don't happen, they are very well planned from what I can gather. They breed puppies to improve

the lines & to breed standards. So yes, you usually have to wait a while if you want to buy a puppy this way but I would not do it any other way cause they are soooo worth the wait. Peace of mind is a good thing too.

I wonder if bossyboo did ever end up buying a puppy ?? :shrug:

There are enough border collie and border collie crosses in the shelter and rescue system as is because of irreponsible people who are " so keen" for their little girl to have a litter so they can have one just like her :mad who dont health screen and dont screen the homes, so they end up going to people who have an apartment or a tiny little suburban courtyard where they work all day and the dog starts barking etc and becomes a nusiance because it doesnt have enough mental stimulation.

border collies are high energy and high intelligence and should not be bred by people who have no idea about what they are doing... sorry for the rant I am just sick of cases that like... its heartbreaking. :(

I think if you are going to breed it should take more then just your dog having main papers... any byb can get hold of a main registered dog if they shonk around enough and find one from a breeder who puts them all on mains....

breeding takes knowledge patience money and alot of time and dedication and shouldnt be undertaken lightly.

Leave it to the people who know what they are doing

I second Nahrof. I don't know many border collie breeders, but I do know the breeders of Nahrof BC's - if I was going to ever get a BC, this is where I would go.

Those Nahrof people are not too shabby at all thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

There are enough border collie and border collie crosses in the shelter and rescue system as is because of irreponsible people who are " so keen" for their little girl to have a litter so they can have one just like her :mad who dont health screen and dont screen the homes, so they end up going to people who have an apartment or a tiny little suburban courtyard where they work all day and the dog starts barking etc and becomes a nusiance because it doesnt have enough mental stimulation.

border collies are high energy and high intelligence and should not be bred by people who have no idea about what they are doing... sorry for the rant I am just sick of cases that like... its heartbreaking. :(

I think if you are going to breed it should take more then just your dog having main papers... any byb can get hold of a main registered dog if they shonk around enough and find one from a breeder who puts them all on mains....

breeding takes knowledge patience money and alot of time and dedication and shouldnt be undertaken lightly.

Leave it to the people who know what they are doing

Whilst i agree with what you are saying thundercat, it is not just BYB's dogs who end up in the pound. Recently an absolutely beautiful little 4 month old fella has come to our park and he was from the pound. Original buyers decided he was too much work so dumped him there. Pound called registered breeder from which this pup came not more then 2 months previous and guess what? Registered breeder didn't want to know abt it, they had their money. Luckily for this beautiful little boy he is now with a wonderful family who love him dearly. Yes puppy farms and byb are a problem with offloading to whoever, but it annoys me when ppl say that ONLY byb dogs end up there.

:) no they werent experts but they atleast they would have had a mentor and done research into what they were doing, not just the notion of ok I want puppies I need a dog and bitch and 9 weeks later they will come out all fluffy with their eyes open and waggy tails like on a disney cartoon.

:) I dont expect every first timer to be experts but people should be properly educated

:) no they werent experts but they atleast they would have had a mentor and done research into what they were doing, not just the notion of ok I want puppies I need a dog and bitch and 9 weeks later they will come out all fluffy with their eyes open and waggy tails like on a disney cartoon.

:) I dont expect every first timer to be experts but people should be properly educated

THIS!!!

At least those with a mentor have a fighting chance of doing it CORRECTLY!!! Putting two random dogs together and letting them go at it and having cute little bundles 63 days later does NOT a breeder make!

If they do ALL the health testing required, for this breed it's hip/elbow scoring, CEA,CL,TNS dna tests and goinioscopy testing. Not to mention the careful consideration put into pedigrees so you don't double up on any problems like Epilepsy etc, then by all means breed away! My guess is BYBers do either ZERO or very very few of these!

Those Nahrof people are not too shabby at all thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :laugh:

THIS!!!

At least those with a mentor have a fighting chance of doing it CORRECTLY!!! Putting two random dogs together and letting them go at it and having cute little bundles 63 days later does NOT a breeder make!

If they do ALL the health testing required, for this breed it's hip/elbow scoring, CEA,CL,TNS dna tests and goinioscopy testing. Not to mention the careful consideration put into pedigrees so you don't double up on any problems like Epilepsy etc, then by all means breed away! My guess is BYBers do either ZERO or very very few of these!

Exactly !!