Dog Waste Bags

Poison

Gosh have you guys thought about raw feeding cause the poo is half the size and pretty much no smell .. I'm gobsmacked your using shopping bags and filling them, even over a week I wouldn't come close to filling one.. Lol lol

I don't think people are keeping the bags for repeated use. Just using what is handy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh have you guys thought about raw feeding cause the poo is half the size and pretty much no smell .. I'm gobsmacked your using shopping bags and filling them, even over a week I wouldn't come close to filling one.. Lol lol

I don't think people are keeping the bags for repeated use. Just using what is handy.

Yep we use all kinds of things, shopping bags, bread bags, freezer bags and dog poo bags, whatever we can find at the time :laugh:

So, don't all council's provide the free dogs bags?

If not, cudos to Sushine Coast Council (for a change :laugh: ). There are plenty of free dispensers all over the place here. Two on the estate where I live ( about 400 houses), they are occasionally empty but not for long. It was one of the things I thought was totally awesome when we frist emmigrated here from the UK. That and free parking by the beach :D

The uk have free bags on the doggy bins as well.... :)

I just find it amusing that society, which is all about being green and saving the environment, is made to pick up dog crap in non biodegradable plastic bags thus creating even more landfill. Dog crap, even though disgusting, would be more biodegradable if left on the street rather than placed in plastic bags.

To me it just doesn't make sense. :confused:

Our council has the free bag dispensers but usually only in places where dogs are allowed (like dog parks). I mostly walk my dogs on the street so not much good to me.

At home, poo is composted or reused to fill in holes so not really an issue.

I just find it amusing that society, which is all about being green and saving the environment, is made to pick up dog crap in non biodegradable plastic bags thus creating even more landfill. Dog crap, even though disgusting, would be more biodegradable if left on the street rather than placed in plastic bags.

To me it just doesn't make sense. :confused:

It's a hygiene issue, not an aesthetic issue. Also, consider that anything you step in out on the street has a very good chance of making it inside your home and ending up on your carpet. Would you really be comfortable with the idea of potentially tracking parvo all through your house? :confused:

Actually I'd never thought of that. I guess it's because I always watch where I'm walking so something like treading in crap didn't even occur to me. I can't believe that I didn't even think about the risks of parvo. :eek:

Don't take my post wrong either -- I always pick up after my dogs and I hate people who don't, as they give all responsible owners a bad rep.

Actually I'd never thought of that. I guess it's because I always watch where I'm walking so something like treading in crap didn't even occur to me. I can't believe that I didn't even think about the risks of parvo. :eek:

Don't take my post wrong either -- I always pick up after my dogs and I hate people who don't, as they give all responsible owners a bad rep.

Didn't assume anything, it's okay :D

I can see where you're coming from, although from an environmental perspective, it's actually worse to leave it there. Poo that isn't picked up ends up in gutters which ends up in stormwater drains which then ends up in waterways and can cause all sorts of issues.

Best way to dispose of it would be to compost it but not everyone has the space to do that (or the inclination) so landfill is the next best option. Not sure about on the mainland but here, once a landfill area is full, it gets some trees planted on it and returned to use as public land. One of the biggest dog parks in Launceston (Heritage Forest) used to be a tip.

Sometimes the problem is that they run out and don't get replaced!

That's why i got some from http://www.dogwastebags.com.au/

Almost 700 bags for 30 bucks, delivered.

They are the also the degradable kind of dog waste bags.

If not, cudos to Sushine Coast Council (for a change :laugh: ). There are plenty of free dispensers all over the place here. Two on the estate where I live ( about 400 houses), they are occasionally empty but not for long. It was one of the things I thought was totally awesome when we frist emmigrated here from the UK. That and free parking by the beach :D

Do you walk more than one dog cause that's a lot of poo lol to fill a bread bag :-)

Bread bags, from loaves of bread preferably. The bonus is that holes are not common, they are long and can take up to two 'dumps' and they are free.

If necessary, 2 bread bags, or 3, or 4 perhaps? I find them adequate to contain 2 poos if you tie them like sausages.

Just to add, a few non-dog owning friends do actually save them for me too, which helps.

Edited by skelp2

A quick note to those who want to use only biodegradable bags - unless you do anything other than throw them into a bin, they won't break down anyway as landfills are so tightly packed that the environment becomes anaerobic.

I use nappy bags when out in public, and at home I've (well, my partner) dug a hole for a metre long PVC pipe, which is where the poop gets thrown down. Apparently if you throw some bokashi down there occassionally, the worms will take care of the rest. We'll see how well that works when summer rolls around!

Do you walk more than one dog cause that's a lot of poo lol to fill a bread bag :-)

Bread bags, from loaves of bread preferably. The bonus is that holes are not common, they are long and can take up to two 'dumps' and they are free.

If necessary, 2 bread bags, or 3, or 4 perhaps? I find them adequate to contain 2 poos if you tie them like sausages.

Just to add, a few non-dog owning friends do actually save them for me too, which helps.

I think mumof4girls meant that one bread bag would be more than adequate for one dog! I can see it taking four or so poops to fill up... Maybe I should stop visualising poop so much :laugh:

I don't know, i've seen some poos at the dog park that would fill a bread bag, eeeeww.

I use the roll ones from the cheapo shops and could probably fit a poo from all 3 of my dogs into 1 bag if they would coordinate. I don't want to carry around a bag with a poo already in it tho and they never coordinate, so I usually end up using at least 3, sometimes 6, bags per outing...sigh...