Testing For Breed Function

Kavik

Not all of these events exist here yet properly either :laugh:

This is just me throwing ideas around about how we can test for breed functionality, made me think about it after a thread on another forum.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we also have to remember that when using the dogs for their original function they would generally have been taught those behaviours when they were young, rather than the cotton wool lives they often lead in society today.

I think that at least the current dog sports titles can be a good start for some breeds. I will definitely be looking for titles at the end of a dog's name when I get a new puppy.

Not all of these events exist here yet properly either :laugh:

I'm more than willing to do my part and start the cute:fluffy ratio tests, or cuddle tests for companion dogs. Especially toy breeds - send em my way and I'll put them through some serious testing :thumbsup:

Not many show whippets get to hunt, course or race, and I doubt show greyhounds ever would. I wish that performance ability was recognised by the breed authorities and VCA. At least there's provision for it on the whippet archives, an amazing resource for whippet enthusiasts. I've put all my girls racing acheivements on there. I'm probably the only Australian who's done so.

racing is not what greyhounds were originally bred to do, they were bred to hunt and yes some still do so, race and show bred. Not all greyhounds live in backyards plenty live on farms where there are rabbits, hares etc.

eta to fix my spelling - again!

Yes, I know originally they were hunting dogs, but they've been bred for racing now for many years and many generations. I've always had trouble accepting show bred greyhounds as the pinnacle of perfection in the breed, I feel a succesful racing dog that is sound would be the better expample, but I think I'm alone with this opinion so I stay away from showing.

Not many show whippets get to hunt, course or race, and I doubt show greyhounds ever would. I wish that performance ability was recognised by the breed authorities and VCA. At least there's provision for it on the whippet archives, an amazing resource for whippet enthusiasts. I've put all my girls racing acheivements on there. I'm probably the only Australian who's done so.

racing is not what greyhounds were originally bred to do, they were bred to hunt and yes some still do so, race and show bred. Not all greyhounds live in backyards plenty live on farms where there are rabbits, hares etc.

Yes, I know originally they were hunting dogs, but they've been bred for racing now for many years and many generations. I've always had trouble accepting show bred greyhounds as the pinnacle of perfection in the breed, I feel a succesful racing dog that is sound would be the better expample, but I think I'm alone with this opinion so I stay away from showing.

they have been bred for 100 years for racing and how many 100's of years before that for hunting? Plenty of showbred dogs have multiple titles in coursing overseas. Could a modern day racing dog do what greyhounds were supposed to do originally, maybe some could but to say a successful racing dog is what a greyhound should be just makes me shake my head. Not all show bred dogs could pull down game either but at least their not discarded out of hand. I can trace my showbred dogs pedigree's further back then I could trace my racebred one. All on the same database.

If you do not feel you could test breed function well with current existing sports/activities/tests or ones found overseas which do not exist in Australia yet - what would you suggest? What would be your ideal scenario to test breed function?

With all these threads on breed health and functionality, I thought I'd start a thread on ways we can test for functionality in breeds. For some this is more obvious than others, some breeds are still used for original work or there are sports which simulate original work, with others their work is illegal so we may need to be more creative in testing for correct temperament/functionality. Obviously I am talking about the breeds with a working function, not those who were bred stricly as companions.

So the easy ones:

herding breeds - herding tests/trials

Terriers - earthdog

sighthounds - lure coursing

Quite a few sighthounds won't course a plastic bag. And live game is out. I call lure coursing and indicator of function but by no means a definitive method of proving it. Coursing lures don't move like hares either.

Lure is not the same as open field, but it is the best we have. I'd like to see it available as a recognised activity. Can't really speak for whippets but as I've harped here before on many occasions, all the "long distance" breeds should be able to do an ET. By long distance I mean dallies, sibes, salukis etc.

they have been bred for 100 years for racing and how many 100's of years before that for hunting? Plenty of showbred dogs have multiple titles in coursing overseas. Could a modern day racing dog do what greyhounds were supposed to do originally, maybe some could but to say a successful racing dog is what a greyhound should be just makes me shake my head. Not all show bred dogs could pull down game either but at least their not discarded out of hand. I can trace my showbred dogs pedigree's further back then I could trace my racebred one. All on the same database.

Hmmm that's not exactly what I said or meant.

Their purpose has changed over the years and now the only athletic test for greyhounds in Australia (that I know of) is racing. Lure coursing isn't exactly the same as live game coursing but why dont show greyhounds at least have a go at it. I've never seen one at any lure coursing events.

Anyway as I said before, I think I'm alone in my opinion, so I stay away from showing, it doesn't interest me.

Lure is not the same as open field, but it is the best we have. I'd like to see it available as a recognised activity. Can't really speak for whippets but as I've harped here before on many occasions, all the "long distance" breeds should be able to do an ET. By long distance I mean dallies, sibes, salukis etc.

yes I would like to see lure coursing as well. One of the FB groups are discussing their 900 yard course, it's held in a paddock with multiple turns, not quite the same as chasing a live bunny but the closest that can happen.

Not dog related, but it always amazes me to see show budgies. They are completely different to the wild budgies, and I never understand how the show version can be judged to be the correct specimen. I would have thought the wild budgie that has evolved over thousands of years would be how a budgie should look, but no, the bird judges know better. :laugh:

Hmmm that's not exactly what I said or meant.

Their purpose has changed over the years and now the only athletic test for greyhounds in Australia (that I know of) is racing. Lure coursing isn't exactly the same as live game coursing but why dont show greyhounds at least have a go at it. I've never seen one at any lure coursing events.

Anyway as I said before, I think I'm alone in my opinion, so I stay away from showing, it doesn't interest me.

I've seen photo's of greyhounds coursing at KCC park in the past. Of course most greyhounds adopted out are ex racers and often have old injuries to consider. I tried to register my bitch with the GRV so I could course her but they wouldn't allow me to do so.

I don't go down to KCC park for coursing because I don't have enough weekends in the year to do everything I want to and to go down for a fun day doesn't interest me. Put a title on it and I would.

I'm not interested in having my Staffords hang off a flirt pole, in order to prove that they can go 10 rounds. I could set one up to spar but there'd be complaints about that. There wouldn't be too many about that aren't fit for function.

My Whippet would probably look at you like an idiot if you tried to get her to chase a plastic bag, she has no worries in running down prey though, she catches her own rabbits and pluckts ducks and other birds from the air.

Same with my Borzoi, there aren't any wolves around but he's got the power to take something that big down.

Not dog related, but it always amazes me to see show budgies. They are completely different to the wild budgies, and I never understand how the show version can be judged to be the correct specimen. I would have thought the wild budgie that has evolved over thousands of years would be how a budgie should look, but no, the bird judges know better. :laugh:

and yet you consider the racebred side of greyhounds, which have only been around for 100 years, to be the correct one :laugh:

I'm not interested in having my Staffords hang off a flirt pole, in order to prove that they can go 10 rounds. I could set one up to spar but there'd be complaints about that. There wouldn't be too many about that aren't fit for function.

My Whippet would probably look at you like an idiot if you tried to get her to chase a plastic bag, she has no worries in running down prey though, she catches her own rabbits and pluckts ducks and other birds from the air.

Same with my Borzoi, there aren't any wolves around but he's got the power to take something that big down.

Fair enough about the staffords - they are the hardest to find a test for. However the spring pole was the closest I could find that would legally replicate their original job.

But with the whippet, what if it was a rabbit hide or fake fur etc? Would she chase it then? I am not saying we have to use the tests as they currently stand, if there would be a way to improve them to make them more realistic or a better test.

What of hunting dogs that are bred for not only tracking but to bail up? Akitas and Elkhounds are ones that spring to my mind, Yes they might be able to track it down but one of the most important things hunters looked for in those breeds is the ability for the dog to stop the quarry in it's tracks long enough (which often means getting up close and personal) for the animal to be shot. Having them pass a tracking test doesn't mean they can do what they were bred for.

--Lhok

and yet you consider the racebred side of greyhounds, which have only been around for 100 years, to be the correct one :laugh:

again you have drawn the wrong conclusion from what I've said. Show away, and good luck to you winning your ribbons. :thumbsup:

Scenting dogs - nosework maybe http://www.funnosework.com/

Or tracking, seeing that already exists. ;) :)

All my terriers do earthdog. :) So I have no qualms with any functionality tests.

Both mine do, too - they're Borders, like Leema's dogs. And Tosh did the endurance test too - since they are bred to follow the hunt, I figured that is something else he could do to prove functionality.....