Fussy Baby Puppies

underfoot

Hi some welcome advice kindly sought....

My pups are almost 6 weeks of age and I am finding it hard getting them to eat to full tummies. They kind of graze, nibble or a couple even skip a meal. We have 13 puppies and this has NEVER happened in previous litters. We are using Advance Rehydrate puppy and Chicken carcass Mince (more mince than dry food). They just don't like it. We have also tried Goats milk and yoghurt added. Mum is not feeding them as she self weaned (could have strangled her) at 5 weeks as she had enough of 13 sets of teeth biting her.

They are just not as roly poly as I would like and their poo's aren't as firm either. Yes they have been wormed before asking.

We are feeding them 4 times a day. 7am, 11.30am, 3.30pm and 7.30pm.

Hi some welcome advice kindly sought....

My pups are almost 6 weeks of age and I am finding it hard getting them to eat to full tummies. They kind of graze, nibble or a couple even skip a meal. We have 13 puppies and this has NEVER happened in previous litters. We are using Advance Rehydrate puppy and Chicken carcass Mince (more mince than dry food). They just don't like it. We have also tried Goats milk and yoghurt added. Mum is not feeding them as she self weaned (could have strangled her) at 5 weeks as she had enough of 13 sets of teeth biting her.

They are just not as roly poly as I would like and their poo's aren't as firm either. Yes they have been wormed before asking.

We are feeding them 4 times a day. 7am, 11.30am, 3.30pm and 7.30pm.

First off good on mum for feeding 13 up to 5 weeks of age!!!!! It takes a while for pups to get into fully eating solids but they will don't worry. If they aren't eating and aren't drinking from mum but happy and alert and active they are simply not that hungry. Puppies don't have to be roly poly fat puppies to be healthy infact its better for them if they aren't (IMHO)

I think your feedings are probably a bit close together. I feed at 6am, midday, 6pm, and bedtime (as late as possible). I can't imagine my puppies would eat 4 meals in 12 hours either!

As long as you're sure all puppies are eating something, and no one is fading away, I wouldn't be too worried. Puppies don't have to be fat to be healthy. :)

I think your feedings are probably a bit close together. I feed at 6am, midday, 6pm, and bedtime (as late as possible). I can't imagine my puppies would eat 4 meals in 12 hours either!

As long as you're sure all puppies are eating something, and no one is fading away, I wouldn't be too worried. Puppies don't have to be fat to be healthy. :)

WOW! I did not even think about that. too tired I think. I will try spacing the meals out more and cooking a little mince for a more appealing meal.

I wouldn't bother cooking it ...if it is minced chicken carcass it should NOT be cooked due to bone content, anyway (cooked bone is both indigestible and sharp/dangerous);)

3 meals a day , or 4 if one is very late .. and they should improve . Hunger is the best appetising factor !! :p

I also spread my meals out from 7am 1:30-2:00, 6:30-7:00 and them some warm milk and mince before bed around 10:30

I also feed a variety during the day. Rehydrateable/Mince for breakfast, Dog roll/sometimes can for lunch, mince, vegies, rice for tea. I use cooked meat juices from our meals over the foods at times just for variety. This way we don't end up with fussy eaters. and if their teeth are still coming through they may have sore mouths and not feel inclined to eat.

Mine always wanted to skip the kibble meal, and preferred, always, the raw. i ended up feeding 3 times daily with the occasional late night snack. I'd leave the kibble down for their midday meal and it was usually left until their afternoon/evening meal, which was a raw mix with bones.

Didnt even think of that, I didn't realize it was carcas as I feed chicken fillets cooked :)

I wouldn't bother cooking it ...if it is minced chicken carcass it should NOT be cooked due to bone content, anyway (cooked bone is both indigestible and sharp/dangerous);)

3 meals a day , or 4 if one is very late .. and they should improve . Hunger is the best appetising factor !! :p

Feed one meal of dry not soaked food and see if they prefer that. Next meal just chicken mince or whole wings depending on the breed. By 6 weeks my litters were always over mush and wanted real food to chew on. Balance the diet over the day, not at every meal. Oh, and definitely space the meals a lot more.

I think you are feeding them to often and they are just not hungry.

Also do not feed cooked chicken mince as it is full of bone.

Always remember that the food that is offered nowadays if of a higher quality in nutrition (in my opinion) than what was offered yeas ago.

I only feed pups at the most three times a day.

I feed as much as the pups can eat for breakfast and remove what's left.

Then at lunch a mere pittance, then I repeat the breakfast quantity at night.

I found following this regime I didn't have the backward eaters I used to.