Snake Repellers

mrzeusman

Has anyone got the snake repellers that go in the ground and vibrate and keep snakes away. Do they work ? Can you recommend a brand that works better. There used to be a product called "snake off"? and you sprayed it around your property and it kept them away.

We have them because although we are in a residential area, we live across the road from coastal scrub. The neighbour on one side got a visit from a baby tiger snake. The neighbour on the other side had an adult dugoit show up. We've never seen a snake on our property at all despite them being very common around here. In my opinion they've paid for themselves!

I have heard some say they're not so effective on brown snakes.

The only issue we've had is the plastic cover protecting the the solar panel going opaque but the manufacturer has been quick to send free replacements. We've had ours operating for 3 1/2 years now.

Edited by Dxenion

;) if someone ever does invent a snake repeller that's proven to work..they will make lots of money .

(come to think of it, snake repellers which 'may' work bring in their sellers lots of money too :( )

I think you should save your money ..and make your yard snake unfriendly.

short grass, no stacks of wood/building materials, etc . No mice/rats. ..lots of open ground , and lots of human activity .. walking, running, raking , etc- all help.

We have four.

Last April one of our dogs got a very large brown snake in the yard. Last September the same dog got a black in the yard. In November we installed snake repellers. We haven't seen a snake since.

Does this mean they work? Your guess is as good as mine.

Unfortunately we back on to a floodway and there's not much we can do about what washes down that or how the council choose to mow it (or not). Everyone who backs on to it mows out 12-15 feet from their fence line so there's only about 12-15 feet in the middle which is long, but it's wet, reedy and full of frogs and no doubt snakes.

I have put snake repellers all around the perimeter of our house. I have some of the solar ones and also some battery operated ones. I got them (both kinds) off ebay. They were much cheaper than other advertised places ($79 each!!!! I paid - from memory - $100 for six solar, can't remember how much the battery op ones were).

The way I figured it, it was a very small price to pay if they do work, if they don't well it's only money I've lost. Interestingly, they definately do not affect any other reptile - we have toads, frogs and lizards around the house and they do not appear one bit phased by them. So whether they ONLY work on snakes and the other reptiles are not an indication if they are working or not, who knows?

I have never seen a snake close to the house, but hadn't before putting them in either. Mind you, I keep the grass short around the house and no rubbish piles, and with two humans, seven dogs, four cats and two minipigs, there is always a lot of noise and footfall around the house. The house is on short steel piles, so I would imagine all our footsteps would be vibrating down the piles, which would probably also help keep them away. (Hopefully, she says!)

Edited by ash1

Interestingly, they definately do not affect any other reptile - we have toads, frogs and lizards around the house and they do not appear one bit phased by them.

Snakes rely on vibration and temperature/'scent' .They have no ears.

Lizards, frogs/toads have ears , and,being quadrupeds , they also do not have the amount of skin area in ground contact that snakes do ....

I have never seen a snake close to the house, but hadn't before putting them in either. Mind you, I keep the grass short around the house and no rubbish piles, and with two humans, seven dogs, four cats and two minipigs, there is always a lot of noise and footfall around the house. The house is on short steel piles, so I would imagine all our footsteps would be vibrating down the piles, which would probably also help keep them away.

:thumbsup:

it would be a very desperate snake to spend much time there, I would think :)

Edited by persephone

I think you should save your money ..and make your yard snake unfriendly.

short grass, no stacks of wood/building materials, etc . No mice/rats. ..lots of open ground , and lots of human activity .. walking, running, raking , etc- all help.

Yes, I heard a snake expert giving exactly that same advice. He said to first do everything to disrupt the 'food chain' that snakes come after, like the mice & rats. He also said to look further down the food chain.....like don't leave outside lights on at night. The lights attract the moths etc....which then attract creatures that feed off the moths.....which then attract the snakes that feed off them.

He also stressed getting rid of potential 'hiding places' & said that the entire area around the house is better without gardens. The 'open ground', you describe.

Interestingly, they definately do not affect any other reptile - we have toads, frogs and lizards around the house and they do not appear one bit phased by them.

Snakes rely on vibration and temperature/'scent' .They have no ears.

Lizards, frogs/toads have ears , and,being quadrupeds , they also do not have the amount of skin area in ground contact that snakes do ....

I have never seen a snake close to the house, but hadn't before putting them in either. Mind you, I keep the grass short around the house and no rubbish piles, and with two humans, seven dogs, four cats and two minipigs, there is always a lot of noise and footfall around the house. The house is on short steel piles, so I would imagine all our footsteps would be vibrating down the piles, which would probably also help keep them away.

:thumbsup:

it would be a very desperate snake to spend much time there, I would think :)

Persephone, you don't know how happy your replies have made me :thumbsup:

I have absolutely no problems with snakes, in fact I quite like the non-venomous ones, but I do fear for our dogs getting attacked by one.

I have also wondered in the past if the scent of animal urine/faeces discourages snakes? We have lived on acreage before with snakes on the property (as does this property, 120 acres), but I've never - touch wood - had a snake in or near the house.

Glad you are feeling happier ... I am no expert, mind :o

I have also wondered in the past if the scent of animal urine/faeces discourages snakes?

Noooo, AFAIK :(

we get them way too close to dog/poultry areas ...

Oh well, we'll just have to keep thumping around the house then :D

I have no gardens, no wood or junk piles. We have 5 acres of mowed grass and tall trees, plus the house had stock - cattle and sheep - around it a lot of the time. We have kids, dogs and cats and also have many birds who give any visiting snake a hard time. Doesn't seem to stop the snakes though, we had 20 around the house last eyar, 3 of which were actively trying to get into the dog runs.

I did end up getting snake repellers as if they work great, if not well yeh I have lost a bit of money but oh well. We have had very few snakes in general this year (compared to last year where they were everywhere) so even though I have not seen any snakes around the house it is most likely just because there are less of them. Even if I do get a snake close by at least I ahve done everything I can to protect my family.

When I build the kennels I will also use them there as I will try everything I can - including snake mesh, clear area etc - to make sure visting dogs are safe as well.

Hi again

Thanks for all your information. I have been doing some more research on the net and have found that apparently sulphur powder (which stinks like rotten eggs) keeps snakes away as they hate the smell of that. Also moth balls keep mice/rats away but need to be put where they are out of reach of dogs,cats, children. Not sure where you would buy sulphur powder - maybe from a garden improvement centre and you put it around the perimeter of your house/yard/fence line and in a strip about 15cm wide.

I would be willing to put up with some smell if it meant my dogs & family were safe. We have pythons, taipans, death adders, red belly black snakes and eastern brown snakes here in the Cairns area.

Hmmm.. and there is the following info on Sulphur ;)

LINK

excerpt:

Sulphur is NOT a snake repellent, contrary to old wives' tales and folklore! I've kept snakes for over 30 years, and I actually have used a solution of sulphur dissolved in warm water for injured snakes to soak in. Sulphur is actually a natural antibiotic and one of the main ingredients in many man-made antibiotic drugs, both internal and topical(applied to the skin), and many animals instinctively know this. Sulphur solutions can be taken internally by reptiles and birds to combat a nasty intestinal parasite called Coccidia, which can kill the animal if left untreated.

So-called "Snake Repellents" are an absolute waste of money.

I have SEEN tests undertaken by Australian Snake experts after being asked by the repellent manufacturers to conduct these tests.

In EVERY case, the snake was completely unperturbed by the device (any of them!) and in a number of cases, snakes were found to curl up and go to sleep on them.

I keep snakes... lots of them, both Pythons and Venomous species, and I have "tested" the repellents myself at home. Not once did any of my snakes show any sign whatsoever that they were even aware of the device, much less 'bothered' by it!

Don't waste your money. Use that money to create credit at your Vet, in case snake-bite ever does occur. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou, yes that is a great help.Sounds like it will be just the thing. My sister said she didnt know she had so many snakes, as she doesnt see all the ones that slither through her home padock, but the dog certainly does.

Before relying on electronic snake repellers, you might want to encourage her to have a read of this.. http://www.aussiepyt...pellent-118888/

cross linking what seems a valuable link for anyone doing some research on snake repelling...