Ad I Saw... Isn't This Illegal?

Just browsing through one of the online selling sites and found this ad...

Have you found a stray dog or litter of pups maybe?

Unsure of what you can do or who can help?

The pound isnt always the answer.

We can help you, we can search for a NO- KILL rescue group to take the doggy/s on and rehome them.

You are not alone, there is help out there!

Please feel free to contact us for help!!

Via email or phone.

There is a similar one for cats/kittens as well... contact names and phone numbers are in the ad.

My understanding is that the legal requirement is to take the stray animals to the pound, or call a ranger to do same, or hand in to vet clinic to forward on to the pound. Am I wrong here, or is this ad calling for people to break the law?

T.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were similar adverts in Melbourne for a while .Saying'' Don't take your dog to the pound we will take care of them''etc.Someone put a warning advert about not giving away your pet free etc and about dog fights;and now the other adverts have gone.

Turns out that I know who the contact person is - she should know better...

Now - who does one contact in these cases to have maximum impact so she doesn't repeat the offence elsewhere? Simply having the ad pulled from the site won't be a deterrent...

I also have info that she has a similar thing going on Facebook trying to get people to contact her to place strays instead of taking them to the pound.

T.

Oh dear. Playing with fire there. And what about the poundies? :confused:

2cents worth re kittens: Not being a cat rescue I'll just say I see the distribution of found kittens on FB too and you can (and I used to try) say what should be done but honestly I think it's been happening forever and will continue. Most unchipped and entire. :(

Maybe the logic is to get them into rescue and vetworked before they produce more?

I would be referring it to the Companion Animal's because if the dogs and cats are chipped then it is against the law for her to be placing them into another home.

If they can't do anything I would be contacting your local pound and talking to somebody in authority regarding and see what they have to say, but talk to somebody in charge.

What is the facebook page because we could all go on and put comments saying this is against the law.

The ad I've posted is from that other "trading post" type website... but there are numerous Facebook entries/groups (some hers, some others) all touting the same thing.

My worry is that even if a dog or cat is chipped, it would be so easy to forge a surrender form and get them transferred into any name you like - or a simple Stat Dec even... a lost animal is not necessarily dumped or neglected... *sigh*

Sheridan - I've PM'd you with the answer.

T.

Which state govt dept polices the act that governs this issue? I would write to that agency providing a copy of the ad, complete with contact details. You can do this anonymously. They are likely to only get a warning letter but it might make them think twice about being so silly. There are other ways to encourage people who have found 'strays' to do the right thing so either an animal is reunited with its owner or it is impounded and legitimately rescued. For a start if someone wants to dump an animal a lot of pounds have those after hours pens anyway - there is no need to dump an animal in an industrial estate, on the side of the road or in the bush!

How would this person feel if their own animal went missing and was never found again because someone used this approach. I'm suggesting writing the letter because they may not be interested in your advice, but threat of a fine if caught doing the wrong thing again might change their mind.

I saw this ad a few months ago on GT.

I've actually forgotten who posted it. Not because I don't care but because they're not the only one with this mentality. There are A LOT of 'rescues' with this mentality, that they are above the law. I have to assume that some, at least, don't realise they are ruining the animals' chances of their families finding them. :(

While we're here can anyone please help find the NSW legislative text saying you can't just take a stray home with you after having the vet check for a chip?

It's not legislative text (still trying to find that) but did find this: http://boardtalk.vpb.nsw.gov.au/page/Stray_Dogs_and_Cats

By law, a member of the community can only hold a stray dog for a maximum of 48 hours.

They say 'by law,' but it's hard tracking down laws that pertain to our companion animals.

Companion animals act maybe?

I'm on my phone atm but will have a look later on.

Wagga rangers threatened someone with fines last year who had strays, advertised on radio and were keeping them until owners came.

We tell people all the time to take to the pound and then if necessary we can rescue it through the appropriate channels. The first place I would look if my dog went missing would b the pound, not some random's backyard.

Edited by efowler

Page 7: http://www.lawsociety.com.au/idc/groups/public/documents/internetyounglawyers/420246.pdf

Legislative text: Link.

(2) In the case of an animal that has been seized by a person who is not an authorised officer, subsection (1) is complied with by the person if the person, as soon as possible after seizing the animal, makes an arrangement with an authorised officer for the animal to be delivered by the officer to its owner, a council pound or approved premises.

Edited by Plan B

Thank you! :) That's kind of the bit I can find too BUT some vets claim not to be an 'authorised officer' or 'approved premises' as in, they just say to the finders to take the animal home and call the pound when it opens. :mad

Which is not what I thought was supposed to happen.

At some stage I heard that a vet HAS to hold a stray (chipped or unchipped) for collection by the ranger - or owner if they get there first I just can't find where it says they must. The interpretation of the legislation is too flexible, I am after something more concrete.

Most of this takes place at the front counter. I've seen people sent home with strays - is it definitely legally incorrect? Or a loophole?

I find it annoying that we need to search so much for this stuff.

I had a vet, who knew legally the dog we handed to her had to go the Council, desperately trying to give us the dog back because they didn't want to keep it overnight. They didn't know we were involved in Rescue - we could've been anyone. :(

EDIT: Given the OP, I guess even when you're in Rescue, you can still be anyone.

Edited by Plan B

I find it annoying that we need to search so much for this stuff.

I had a vet, who knew legally the dog we handed to her had to go the Council, desperately trying to give us the dog back because they didn't want to keep it overnight. They didn't know we were involved in Rescue - we could've been anyone. :(

EDIT: Given the OP, I guess even when you're in Rescue, you can still be anyone.

That's exactly what I mean! Either they don't know the rules or we are assuming there is some kind of safety net protecting stray animals from ending up in someone's yard (or in rescue)