Hot Spot

What do you shave the dog with? Clippers or a razor? I don't have any clippers and my dog has a hot spot atm. I have been trying to keep it clean, put a weak iodine solution on it then dried and added Curash. Stoopid dog keeps scratching though and making it bleed. I don't have an elizabethan collar on hand either.

I know hers is from laying on the damp grass near her outside water bowl. It seems to be where the morning sun hits.

You do not need to shave the area, you can easily irritate the skin further by shaving it and if you keep the spot clean and dry it out with the powder shaving the area is of no real benefit.

This comes not only from my experience with my own dogs and clients dogs but from years of Vet Nursing.

What do you shave the dog with? Clippers or a razor? I don't have any clippers and my dog has a hot spot atm. I have been trying to keep it clean, put a weak iodine solution on it then dried and added Curash. Stoopid dog keeps scratching though and making it bleed. I don't have an elizabethan collar on hand either.

I know hers is from laying on the damp grass near her outside water bowl. It seems to be where the morning sun hits.

I use clippers or even scissors - again appreciate that you mightnt need to use them but certainly with the pugs if you dont let the air get to it and you take away that bit more hair - I find the hot spot spreads.. I have tried numerous remedies over the years and the one I mentioned earlier works best for me, and my dogs, but I am sure it is horses for courses

I use clippers or even scissors - again appreciate that you mightnt need to use them but certainly with the pugs if you dont let the air get to it and you take away that bit more hair - I find the hot spot spreads.. I have tried numerous remedies over the years and the one I mentioned earlier works best for me, and my dogs, but I am sure it is horses for courses

Knowing how dense pug hair can be at the skin level, I'd be surprised if a hotspot on that type of coat could be healed without close cutting myself. They need air to heal and my experience is that a pug absorbs water like a sponge and stays wet for yonks!

I have a golden retriver who used to be very prone to hot spots. I used to clip the hair around the area with scissors, then put some ice on a paper kitchen towel and press it gently on the area to cool it down without making the area wet. Sometimes I would put a bit of cortozone cream.

The other thing I now do is wash her with pyohex shampoo which soothes skin irritations. I also watch her closely and if she tends to scratch a particular area too much then I part her hair and check the skin closely, and use the ice routine if it looks red and itchy.

Our hot spot is almost gone. Once I put an elizabethan collar on her and she stopped scratching it the Curash was able to work. I took the collar off last night and she had scratched a small bit this morning so the bucket is back on the head until it heals more. She is not happy but thems the breaks.

Did the vet do a skin scraping?????????

I had a bitch many years ago present with constant "hot spots" on her face/head/neck area. After being advised many times it was just hot spots, I went and asked for a skin scraping. Guess what, it was demodectic mites!

Anyway, for hot spots I use Curash and I NEVER EVER shave the area down! Curash, or if pressed, Listerine, and it dries up in no time.

Curash powder works well to dry them out

I use curash powder on my girl as well, but since changing to Black Hawk puppy biscuits and mostly raw diet she hasn't had another breakout.

I have rarely had a hotspot fail to respond to Curash.

I don't clip the coat away there is no need if using the powder as the area will be dry, also I don't apply any creams or lotions.

High humidity and a dog with a heavy or double coat that stays damp, reaction to diet or irritation from fleas can all cause hotspots.

I agree with all of these ones, but like others have said it's a matter of finding what works for your dog.

I have a golden retriever too and the first time he got a hot spot I took him to the vet as I didn't know what it was and came home with antibiotics and cream and he was shaved as well.

Now I know what they are and how to deal with them I have found that if I just gently wash it with some diluted dettol solution and then sprinle on curash or other sort of antiseptic powder that generally does the trick.

I used to feed mine supercoat and he got a few hot spots, now I feed black hawk and only got one hot spot (really small) this whole summer so it might be something to think about.

Our Alaskan Malamute used to be very prone to hot spots. Rainy but warm weather was what tended to bring them on. These days I'm very vigilant about not letting him get wet and if he does making sure he is thoroughly dried.

The first time he had one, half his back was shaved and I think it did more damage than good. The fur took a long while to come back the same and I believe it made him more susceptible to them in that area.

The best thing we found was using the forced air dryer on the area multiple times a day. The aim being to get rid of any moisture and to keep the area as dry as absolutely possible.

From a medication perspective we found Savlon antiseptic powder to be the best as we could apply it to the area without having to actually touch the wound (which he really didn't like as it was obviously very painful) and it was also easy to apply through his fur. Then once it had scabbed over we would use a stop itch tea tree oil based spray.

He hasn't had one for a few years now - touch wood.

Edited by Malamum

I had a dog that used to get hot spots regularly. Put him on apple cider vinegar (unfiltered) & have not had a hot spot for years even after the wet summer we had here in Sydney. Got to be worth a try.

Good luck

Greg

Hi greg,

I have heard that apple cider vinegar is good for hot spots but I'm not sure how to give it to my dog. Do you just pour some into their water bowl

After I posted a few days ago that my dog hadn't had one in ages he got the biggest one ever! looking good now though, all dried and scabbed over...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't have the same results with hot spots and apple cider vinegar. All of my waterbowls have ACV in them. It certainly helps with preventing burning of grass, smelly kitty litter trays, staining around mouth and "pissle" area and other things. BUT...I have literally just healed up a hot spot on my Lowchen's front leg, ACV certainly didn't prevent it!!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't have the same results with hot spots and apple cider vinegar. All of my waterbowls have ACV in them. It certainly helps with preventing burning of grass, smelly kitty litter trays, staining around mouth and "pissle" area and other things. BUT...I have literally just healed up a hot spot on my Lowchen's front leg, ACV certainly didn't prevent it!!!

Same here!

Same here!

Bummer... maybe it works for some and not others, or maybe it's just an old wive's tale...