Docking Of Tails

wantsapuppy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Docking Tails

14. Further offences (s. 94) — tail docking

(1) In this regulation tail docking means the removal of one or more of the coccygeal vertebrae, whether by cutting, ablation, elastration or any other means.

(2) A person who is not a registered veterinary surgeon shall not carry out tail docking of a dog.

Penalty: $2 000.

(3) A registered veterinary surgeon shall not carry out tail docking of a dog except where the tail docking is clinically indicated for the purpose of curing or alleviating a disease or injury from which the dog suffers.

Penalty: $2 000.

[Regulation 14 amended in Gazette 16 Mar 2010 p. 978.]

I know a couple of local Rotties and Boxers without tails. I've asked a couple of them (in casual conversation) about docking. I've been told that the dogs are 'natural bob-tails' Is this right?

Wouldn't that means they would have to have a bob-tailed breed introduced?

One couple was bragging that their papered female bob-tail Rotty pup cost them TRIPLE :eek: the regular going price for a pup......

I'm so used to seeing tails that I find it unusual to see a dog that has been docked. I saw a Dobe at the beach a few days ago and he had been docked. It looked really strange which is so funny because only a few years ago I thought Dobes looked strange with a tail :)

ETA My boy, with tail

post-35373-0-73673900-1333539691_thumb.jpg

Edited by dobesrock

I think there is a gene in rotties for the bob tail. I remember when I had first started vollie work at the RSPCA we had two litters of pups - most with docked tails that were seized. They were in the process of DNA testing to see if they had the gene. If they did the pups and two mum dogs would have been given back to the owner. If not the people were off to court. Never did hear what ended up happening from that though.

I prefer a dog with a tail anyway. Would be like taking away someone's smile! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer dogs with tails too, but I think they are actually aid communication between dogs too. I'm pretty sure there was a study done proving this, but I'm not sure where that information comes from - possibly a Stanley Coren article.

At least one doberman breeder that I know of was sending their bitches to WA to whelp & pup's tails docked. We had one come to my obedience club a few years ago & then I saw one at my vets. They had both been whelped in WA. Now that it's illegal Aust wide I've heard that some breeders are now sending their bitches to New Zealand.

It will be interesting to see if any dogs entered at the Sydney Royal have docked tails. Last year I saw Dobermans, Weis, & Rotties with docked tails.

Dogs imported from countries which allow docking will be docked and so will older dogs who were docked before the law changed - so it is likely you will see docked tails at the Royal :)

My breed has a mix of docked dogs (as above), natural bobs and tails and I don't think it makes a difference at all. I really wouldn't compare it with 'taking away a dogs smile', you can still tell when a docked dog wags their tail - their whole back end usually goes with it!!!

I'm not sure about Rotties, I think the gene has been in the breed for decades but never really selected for. Boxers with natural bob tails were deliberately created by crossing out to corgis.

To CORGIS?!? :eek: Imagine what the first couple of crosses would have looked like :eek: *mind.blown.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/227347-bob-tail-boxer-articles/page__p__5515153__fromsearch__1#entry5515153

http://www.boxerunderground.com/1998%20issues/oct_bu_98/bobtail.htm

Not everyone in New Zealand docks now, it's becoming quite common (outside of show circles) to see undocked dogs, lots of boxers in agility have their tails, and I see quite a few mini schnauzers too. My parent's lovely Dobe has her tail, and they swear the only way they will ever have another Dobe is if they can have an undocked one

388447_2644034293797_1043819648_32888540_788352001_n.jpg

I feel sorry for people with docked dogs (although I prefer the look). The amount of times I've had people come up to me when I'm with Sid and start banging on about cruelty :eek: And then they don't believe me when I say he was born that way.

I am still not quite used to seeing dobes and weims with tails, even after all this time. I completely appreciate that the docked look is unnatural and potentially cruel - it just looks strange to me. I guess it's all just a matter of what you are used to seeing.

I am still not quite used to seeing dobes and weims with tails, even after all this time. I completely appreciate that the docked look is unnatural and potentially cruel - it just looks strange to me. I guess it's all just a matter of what you are used to seeing.

Yea, it takes a while to get used to sometimes. I've had two Rotties, both with docked tails. Last one just passed away a few days ago (9.5 years old). To me, a Rotty without a tail is all I know so when I see them with tails, they look so bizarre to me. (Still beautiful of course, but just not what I'm used to).