Is It Acceptable To Leave Dog Stools On The Footpath?

ChloeEastwood

Unfortunately more common place nowadays a new act of filth in my neighborhood and surrounding walking trails.

Dog owners have become very inconsiderate and selfish allowing their dogs to defecate on heavy traffic footpaths and walking away without removal or correct disposal of.

It ranges from milk shakes, sprinkles, scoops of choc chip ice cream to the man size snags on a BBQ, all unpleasing to the senses.

Do dogs toilet trained on grass become overwhelmed with the scents and confused as to what surfaces are now acceptable to relieve themselves on?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the owner is walking in a footpath and not minding the dog and seeing its need to go to the loo, then it will just do it. For about a week every night a person used to walk their dog past our house and in exactly the same spot he would do a poo and it would be right along our front fence, obviously the owner just dragged the dog along while it was doing it. If I am out with mine on lead and they have to go which is hardly ever, I see the signs find some grass pick it up. Its really not that hard. People just don't care!

I don't think it matters if they go on the footpath, but it always matters that it is removed and disposed of regardless. One of my biggest bugbears when I walk around my neighbourhood is the amount of dog poo left whever the dog has done it, I always pick up what my dog does but I still feel what these other people do puts a negative light on me and my dog. Grrrrrrr :mad:mad

No, that's not acceptable. Mine always go onto the grass next to the footpath. But it doesn't matter where they go, it needs to be picked up.

Yeah, absolutely! It doesn't matter if it's on the grass, footpath, someone's yard.. pick it up! God, people are revolting.

Definitely pick up poo from everywhere. But especially a footpath! There are some people where I live who let their dogs defecate in the main shopping strip and then leave it for everyone to walk in- once it was right outside a shop door! The one time my girl 'had to go' on a footpath I was mortified, picked it up (as always) but there was a mark left on the footpath (why my council decided that bitumen footpaths with a rather coarse topcoat would be good for a shopping area is beyond me). I went to a cafe and asked for a bucked of hot soapy water and washed it away!

I think people in general are becoming more dirty (or feral as I've heard it described). Not only do more people leave dog poo around but also rubbish of all description sometimes despite a bin being nearby. At least (if there is a good side to it) poo is biodegradable not like all the smashed glass or baby nappies or fast food packages, etc left lying everywhere.

I really dispair about what we are turning into at times.

Definitely pick up poo from everywhere. But especially a footpath! There are some people where I live who let their dogs defecate in the main shopping strip and then leave it for everyone to walk in- once it was right outside a shop door! The one time my girl 'had to go' on a footpath I was mortified, picked it up (as always) but there was a mark left on the footpath (why my council decided that bitumen footpaths with a rather coarse topcoat would be good for a shopping area is beyond me). I went to a cafe and asked for a bucked of hot soapy water and washed it away!

Very commendable Nik.

I think people in general are becoming more dirty (or feral as I've heard it described). Not only do more people leave dog poo around but also rubbish of all description sometimes despite a bin being nearby. At least (if there is a good side to it) poo is biodegradable not like all the smashed glass or baby nappies or fast food packages, etc left lying everywhere.

I agree, i've been in this suburb for over 10 years and in the last few years, there are constant glass shards in the local sports field and car park, garbage thrown on the park on Sat nights from yobs gathering and as for dog poo, dont' get me started. I constantly have to dodge it and it pisses me off - I walk 3 dogs at a time and if I can pick up why can't other dog owners? Often it's people with larger dogs who seem not to worry at all. I think it's really bad when they go to the sports oval and leave it there, maybe not as bad as the pavement though because it's just far to easy for poor people to walk in it - and their dogs - they don't all seem to avoid it. If I catch people letting their dogs do a crap and they are not going to pick it up, I say "do you want a bag for that" .... they normally sheepishly accept it and say "i forgot mine" and I'm sure they know that I know they are a liar ....

In our high street there are no grass verges and if Wilbur needs to go, he needs to go ....and he'll go anywhere (he once did a poo in the waves at the beach :laugh: ) It doesn't matter where he goes, waves included, i pick it up. If it's on the footpath, i use a doggy wet ones and wipe the path, after pickup, so there is no left over smears etc.

I have no problem with dogs doing their business in public, i do however have a problem with owners not picking up after their dogs.

I still feel what these other people do puts a negative light on me and my dog. Grrrrrrr :mad:mad

It certainly does, so once again the responsible dog owners cop it because of the lazy bastard dog owners. I saw a girl let her dog crap and move on when driving the other day and I blew a fuse. Did a u-turn and told her to go back and pick it up. She tried to use the excuse that she forgot to bring bags and I called her on that because she had just come out of the dog park where there is a roll of free dog poo bags available to the park users. Some people are just too damn lazy or too precious to carry dog shit in a plastic bag when out walking. Makes me wonder how many land mines they have in their own backyard.

I get so frustrated when I see people not picking up, I walk two dogs together and I stop and collect, and keep going.. I always pick up and have a stockpile of bags in my pocket or waistbag. The number of people in our area that won't pick up is incredible, if its dark I won't walk on the grass so I don't step in something unexpected. I actually found some on our front lawn this morning :mad

Its not hard to pick up, and its not hard to carry bags, either put them in your pocket or tie them to your dog leash.

Its not hard to pick up, and its not hard to carry bags, either put them in your pocket or tie them to your dog leash.

Exactly but obviously too hard for some to put their brain into gear when walking their dogs. There are a lot of mothers with kids in prams and joggers around my suburb and they absolutely despise dog owners thinking we're all the same lazy dickheads who dont pick up after our dogs. Makes me so damn cranky.

I was once walking through the park behind my house with one of my Goldens and she stopped for a wizz. When she finished, we resumed walking and a man shouted from his front yard "Are ya gunna pick that up?". (Presumably he was unfamiliar with female dogs' urinating postures.) I retrieved two plastic bags from my pocket and said "Well I would, but these are useless for a wizz. Perhaps you could lend me a sponge." :D

I still feel what these other people do puts a negative light on me and my dog. Grrrrrrr :mad:mad

It certainly does, so once again the responsible dog owners cop it because of the lazy bastard dog owners. I saw a girl let her dog crap and move on when driving the other day and I blew a fuse. Did a u-turn and told her to go back and pick it up. She tried to use the excuse that she forgot to bring bags and I called her on that because she had just come out of the dog park where there is a roll of free dog poo bags available to the park users. Some people are just too damn lazy or too precious to carry dog shit in a plastic bag when out walking. Makes me wonder how many land mines they have in their own backyard.

That's exactly it. It's becoming harder & harder to have dogs all because of irresponsible owners.

They probably don't have any because they always let their dogs do it while out walking. I was once in my local park & across the playing fields a man was standing with his back to his dog while he pooed pretending nothing was happening. Of course he walked off leaving it there.

My obedience club trains at a private schools sports field. One time, many years ago now, one of our member's dogs did what he had to & the member picked it up in a plastic bag. One of the mother's of the soccer players said 'Ooooo'. One of the main conditions of us using the grounds is picking up after our dogs & new members are told when they come for the 1st time. Doesn't seem to apply to the students, you should see what they leave behind after a game. :mad

I don't know about other states but in NSW there are heavy fines for not picking up after your dog. Pity these people don't get caught. A dog walker near my cousin's house used to always let her dog defecate on my cousin's footpath or garden. He got sick of having to pick it up, so knowing where she lived, he put a parcel in her letter box. She never lets her dog go there anymore. :)

That's exactly it. It's becoming harder & harder to have dogs all because of irresponsible owners.

They probably don't have any because they always let their dogs do it while out walking. I was once in my local park & across the playing fields a man was standing with his back to his dog while he pooed pretending nothing was happening. Of course he walked off leaving it there.

My obedience club trains at a private schools sports field. One time, many years ago now, one of our member's dogs did what he had to & the member picked it up in a plastic bag. One of the mother's of the soccer players said 'Ooooo'. One of the main conditions of us using the grounds is picking up after our dogs & new members are told when they come for the 1st time. Doesn't seem to apply to the students, you should see what they leave behind after a game. :mad

I don't know about other states but in NSW there are heavy fines for not picking up after your dog. Pity these people don't get caught. A dog walker near my cousin's house used to always let her dog defecate on my cousin's footpath or garden. He got sick of having to pick it up, so knowing where she lived, he put a parcel in her letter box. She never lets her dog go there anymore. :)

And that's a gift to treasure. Yuck!

A dog walker near my cousin's house used to always let her dog defecate on my cousin's footpath or garden. He got sick of having to pick it up, so knowing where she lived, he put a parcel in her letter box. She never lets her dog go there anymore. :)

Absolute gold!!!

I agree, i've been in this suburb for over 10 years and in the last few years, there are constant glass shards in the local sports field and car park, garbage thrown on the park on Sat nights from yobs gathering and as for dog poo, dont' get me started. I constantly have to dodge it and it pisses me off - I walk 3 dogs at a time and if I can pick up why can't other dog owners? Often it's people with larger dogs who seem not to worry at all. I think it's really bad when they go to the sports oval and leave it there, maybe not as bad as the pavement though because it's just far to easy for poor people to walk in it - and their dogs - they don't all seem to avoid it. If I catch people letting their dogs do a crap and they are not going to pick it up, I say "do you want a bag for that" .... they normally sheepishly accept it and say "i forgot mine" and I'm sure they know that I know they are a liar ....

Not everyone is lieing when they say they forgot their poo bags. I went walking the other day and between getting three kids organised, the pram, the babies bottle, the dogs i did forget no big deal where i walk they have poo bags on every bin and my dogs never go on walks anyway. Well of course one dog did thankfully beside a tree away from where people walk not one bin bag to be found they were all empty and i had nothing on me as i forgot to grab them and i had only brought baby bottle not the whole bag so i had to leave it, noone around to ask for one either. I went back and picked it up once my husband got home but sometimes it maybe they honestly did forget their bags mine are attached to pram but i needed to refill it :)

But leaving poo on footpaths is absolutely disgusting its bad enough the crap i see on our walks left on the grass etc normally right beside a bin with poo bags attached to it,

In my suburb, it's not just dog poop that I've come across on pathways, it's cat as well, which irks me just as much.

It's really not that hard to pick up after a dog, people need to swallow their pride and just deal with it.

I carry bags with me all the time when I walk Mikey, he hasn't pooped thus far, but at least I have them ready. :3